Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

I just keep hoping that someone like Bezos decides his billions aren't enough entertainment and wants his own football team. Even the Spanos clan would sell if someone threw enough money at them. One can dream.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      This is how infected the entire Chargers franchise is with Spanos progeny.

Dean Spanos (son of Alex) - Chairman of the Board
      Michael Spanos (son of Alex) - Vice President
      A.G. Spanos (son of Dean) - President of Business Operations
      John Spanos (son of Dean) - President of Football Operations
      Michael Spanos II (son of Michael) - Salary Cap & Personal Assistant

Los Angeles Chargers Front Office Roster: The official source of the latest Chargers front office, staff members and team information.

The franchise is essentially an employment for the Spanos family and their progeny.
      Yep...Deano is like the Captain of the Titanic escaping on a lifeboat, then giving lessons to his brothers, sons and nephews on how to ram into an iceberg, then getting a new ship, the Boltanic, then hiring them all as 1st mate, 2nd mate, 3rd mate...etc...
      Last edited by Topcat; 10-25-2022, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

This franchise just can't win when it really matters.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
          It starts with Dean. Without Dean, their would be no John. Papa Spanos made sandwiches for migrant workers in the central valley. None of the kids have achieved anything on their own or know football, It would be like expecting the owner of your local Subway sandwich shop to be qualified to run an NFL team.
          It was worse than how you described it. I read the article about that Spanos sandwich operation to the migrant workers. He was feeding them nothing but cheap baloney sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and scamming the government out of the reimbursement costs by fraudulently inflating his reported costs. The workers hated the food and probably suffered malnutrition. It was basically illegal and he should have been stripped of all his money and thrown in jail. He was a scam artist with extremely low moral character.
          Last edited by PhilaBoltster; 10-26-2022, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

It was worse than how you described it. I read the article about that Spanos sandwich operation to the migrant workers. He was feeding them nothing but cheap baloney sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and scamming the government out of the reimbursement costs by fraudulently inflating his reported costs. The workers hated the food and probably suffered malnutrition. It was basically illegal and he should have been stripped of all his money and thrown in jail. He was a scam artist with extremely low moral character.
            I would think lotsa these owners are scammers. deano tried to scam his old city. i'm kinda glad the city didnt cave in and give him what he wanted cuz it'd still be the same crappy team owned by the crappiest owner family hiring craptastic HCs and GM.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post

Gonna take a Donald Sterling-esque scandal to pry the Chargers from the Spanos family's death grip.

Anyone got any dirt?
              I think the best bet is for Dean's sister to be successful in her attempts through the courts to force a sale of the Chargers. Her lawsuits have not done well so far, but you never know.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

I think the best bet is for Dean's sister to be successful in her attempts through the courts to force a sale of the Chargers. Her lawsuits have not done well so far, but you never know.
                The reality is that she will likely fail and the Spanos family will never sell. I came to the sad conclusion a long time ago that we are stuck with the Spanii. I now find it hard to spend any bandwidth worrying about what isn't going to change. Yeah, maybe she pulls out a miracle but in the end I think it more likely the lawsuit was a vehicle to get some kind of negotiated settlement/agreement and nothing more.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

we could only hope. man I dont think I've ever been this down on the team even through the thin years cuz I KNEW the cupboard was gonna be bare. But the cupboard was CHOCK-FULL of talent this year. but minus good coaching the talent still wont get you anywhere. I remember when philly had that year where they went crazy on FA and they went nowhere. I think Nnamdi Asomwa (spelling?) was one of the FAs that year, and they went nowhere. The bolts are this years version of that team.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The reality is that she will likely fail and the Spanos family will never sell. I came to the sad conclusion a long time ago that we are stuck with the Spanii. I now find it hard to spend any bandwidth worrying about what isn't going to change. Yeah, maybe she pulls out a miracle but in the end I think it more likely the lawsuit was a vehicle to get some kind of negotiated settlement/agreement and nothing more.
                    It is a hard thing for fans when the real problems start at the top with ownership, the thing we can not change. I have the same problem with my home town hockey team. It gets old.

I have stuck with this team for 44 years, through many bad years, after I fell in love with Air Coryell as a youth. I have stuck it out like other veterans here. I was almost done when the team left San Diego and was playing in a little soccer stadium full of the other teams fans and watched Rivers subjected to that, but the drafting of Justin Herbert got me re stoked and i have been fully on board.

But I will say this, if this ownership/management/coaching does not capitalize on the golden goose that came into their laps, or more specifically if they ruin Justin Herbert, that will be it for me. I will will done with this team.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

It is a hard thing for fans when the real problems start at the top with ownership, the thing we can not change. I have the same problem with my home town hockey team. It gets old.

I have stuck with this team for 44 years, through many bad years, after I fell in love with Air Coryell as a youth. I have stuck it out like other veterans here. I was almost done when the team left San Diego and was playing in a little soccer stadium full of the other teams fans and watched Rivers subjected to that, but the drafting of Justin Herbert got me re stoked and i have been fully on board.

But I will say this, if this ownership/management/coaching does not capitalize on the golden goose that came into their laps, or more specifically if they ruin Justin Herbert, that will be it for me. I will will done with this team.
                      I went to my first Charger game when I was 10 when my dad got season tickets, I had season tickets myself for 28 years and have been subject to literally decades of watching other teams hoist trophies while we sit home. But given my emotional investment, I just can't see abandoning the team so I try, not always successfully, to just enjoy the ride. But as the board optimist, I keep thinking to myself - this time Lucy won't pull the ball away when I go kick it!

Comment

• Geezbolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Sun Valley, ID
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

It's almost like you read my mind and wrote it down. Especially the parts about Herbert, the golden goose. As a Bolt fan for 61 years, Roo, myself and maybe another one or two on here were lucky enough to see this franchise win a championship in 1963. It's a great feeling and one I'd like to experience at least one more time. But like many on here, I question if this ownership will ever be able to repeat that. I hope they can, but I have my doubts.

Comment

• Portland1961
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hillsboro Oregon
                          • Construction Re-roof Estimator
                          • Send PM

I was one of the old folks that saw the 1963 win. Graduated High School in 1961 and became a chargers fan even sittin in Old Balboa piece of Crap stadium. Loved the team then. Even kept my two season tickets when spending 6 years in the Army in Europe, North Carolina and SE Asia. Rooting for the through the good and the bad like trading away the best defensive linemen like Big Hands.

But moving to LA put a real damper on the hope for the team. All for the Money. But I just naturally loath any LA team. Still rooted for them, but I am beginning to agree than the Team must be sold to improve. I am now 79 years old and hope they play in another Super Bowl before I get sent to Satan!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X