Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm not so sure, Rich.

Interested in increasing the value of the team? Sure.

Winning? By now I'm sure they have internal consultants and advisors telling them what the winning formula for success is, yet they fail to do it.

Is it narcissism? Ego? Ignorance?
    You forgot finances. The common denominator of every coach they hire is they are cheap.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm not so sure, Rich.

Interested in increasing the value of the team? Sure.

Winning? By now I'm sure they have internal consultants and advisors telling them what the winning formula for success is, yet they fail to do it.

Is it narcissism? Ego? Ignorance?
      Ignorance. Alex Spanos built a construction company, which we saw did not translate into knowing how to run a sports team. Dean is Dean - a guy lucky enough to have a rich father. I actually think his sons might be smarter than Dean, but that is a low, low bar.

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I have said this before and I still strongly believe it: I think the notion that Team Spanos doesn't care about winning is completely false. They want to win. They just have never been able to figure out how.
        How is it false?

from 14-2 season, they hire a proven loser in Norv... how does that make sense?
        then they follow it up with 3 inexperienced characters at HC in a row

What is clear, is that they do not care enough to try something different like spending money on coaches with a proven winning history. They are just cheap. It is intentional.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

How is it false?

What is clear, is that they do not care enough to try something different like spending money on coaches with a proven winning history. They are just cheap. It is intentional.
          Again, they have bumbled and stumbled through the hires. Teams like the Rams get a McVay. We got a McCoy. But no owner in the NFL doesn't care about winning.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

it's like going into auto racing but only bringing in your normally-aspirated car. you're not gonna win much of anything. you gotta put money into the car and get a good car-building team, good pit team, and then a good driver. spanuses keep driving their yugo in the race with Mario Andretti driving it and some rookie pit team/mgr/gm.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
              it's like going into auto racing but only bringing in your normally-aspirated car. you're not gonna win much of anything. you gotta put money into the car and get a good car-building team, good pit team, and then a good driver. spanuses keep driving their yugo in the race with Mario Andretti driving it and some rookie pit team/mgr/gm.
              I'm not sure what the exact point you are trying to make here. Lots of teams hire first time GMs and coaches. AJ Smith was never a GM before we promoted him here after Butler passed. He did a good job for several years, including building the roster that went 14-2 and then faded. TT has acquired some very good players, but missed on others and we still have some holes on the roster that are biting us. The team has clearly not hit on the first time head coach approach up to Staley and the jury is still out if he has it or not. He isn't getting fired mid-season so I'll watch what happens the rest of year. Team team regularly spends up to the cap limit and has paid premium money to players like Derwin and Williams. Now if you want to argue that they should spend there money differently, that is always a valid argument.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Again, they have bumbled and stumbled through the hires. Teams like the Rams get a McVay. We got a McCoy. But no owner in the NFL doesn't care about winning.
                Bingo, hire the right HC and it doesn't matter in regard to ownership. Saw it happen with the Rams twice, and once with the Raiders and now the chiefs. IF we don't make the playoffs, hire Jim Harbaugh next season and I bet playoffs would become a regular thing here.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Here it is, like your parents, it’s difficult to change your inheritance, genetics and destiny. As a long suffering Charger and Texan, know this to be true, so your not alone……. All you can hope for is a loving, caring moral compass to succeed with the proper tools and I think Spanos has accomplished this more so than the McNairs but it’s close. Smart businesses men doesn’t necessarily transition to smart football men/women. Football is in your blood or it’s not, however hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and find the solutions with the right football minds/hires.

Staley could be the right man for the job, but he is lacking oversight from his GM, Telesco. Listen, I respect and like both men. Telesco has tenure and experience that’s hard to replace. Staley has the vision and knowledge it takes to win Championships in the NFL. Spanos has more experience than both combined, but still may need personal advisor, like a Bill Polian to ask the hard questions and stay on the best pathway towards this organizations shared vision. There are a few former NFL GMs out there they could bring in for outside opinions. It might be helpful before any rash decisions are made to take a deeper dive into the mechanics of these decisions being made by their head coach and GM, to double check these moves make sense financially and schematically.

Comment

• Berserker76
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                    Here it is, like your parents, it’s difficult to change your inheritance, genetics and destiny. As a long suffering Charger and Texan, know this to be true, so your not alone……. All you can hope for is a loving, caring moral compass to succeed with the proper tools and I think Spanos has accomplished this more so than the McNairs but it’s close. Smart businesses men doesn’t necessarily transition to smart football men/women. Football is in your blood or it’s not, however hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and find the solutions with the right football minds/hires.

Staley could be the right man for the job, but he is lacking oversight from his GM, Telesco. Listen, I respect and like both men. Telesco has tenure and experience that’s hard to replace. Staley has the vision and knowledge it takes to win Championships in the NFL. Spanos has more experience than both combined, but still may need personal advisor, like a Bill Polian to ask the hard questions and stay on the best pathway towards this organizations shared vision. There are a few former NFL GMs out there they could bring in for outside opinions. It might be helpful before any rash decisions are made to take a deeper dive into the mechanics of these decisions being made by their head coach and GM, to double check these moves make sense financially and schematically.
                    Sound advice, TBL. Worth a try.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

How is it false?

To be fair, Norv took this team to 3 straight playoff appearances after he was hired, including an AFCCG appearance.

But it stills proves the same point: the only successful coaching hires the Spanos family have made were previously experienced HCs (Ross at the college level).
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Or…….they could get a speedy WR.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Staley could be the right man for the job, but he is lacking oversight from his GM, Telesco.
                          Curious as to how you come to this conclusion?

Comment

Working...
                          X