Chargers at Raiders Pre Game Thread (Wk 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Lombo learned the strength of the Chargers last game with JH passing more. Hopefully we come out passing instead of trying to establish the run for two quarters.
    Agreed. Pass to set up the run. Forget the idea of being balance. Why waste downs running the ball. I get there are times you run the ball - short yardage or to burn clock. But I think a pass first offense is the way to go

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

In this offense, the short passes to RB's are our runs.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Designed QB runs please.
        we need to start forcing defenses to respect Herbert's straight line speed.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Agreed. Pass to set up the run. Forget the idea of being balance. Why waste downs running the ball. I get there are times you run the ball - short yardage or to burn clock. But I think a pass first offense is the way to go
          Agreed. They always look their best when passing the ball. So many wasted runs this season.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

I was in Vegas last week for a few. Every time I got a glimpse of the Turds stadium, I just flipped it the bird. Childish.......maybe.......did it feel good.....YES!!!!

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Designed QB runs please.
              we need to start forcing defenses to respect Herbert's straight line speed.
              I dont even care if they are not designed QB runs but rather that Justin takes off when he sees the opp to do so. I LOVED that game last season against the squealers where he had an insane amt of rush yards cuz they played man all day and Justin basically ran it all day on them.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I dont even care if they are not designed QB runs but rather that Justin takes off when he sees the opp to do so. I LOVED that game last season against the squealers where he had an insane amt of rush yards cuz they played man all day and Justin basically ran it all day on them.
                That game shows the threat JH can be.
                I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  In this offense, the short passes to RB's are our runs.
                  Except those passes (this year) tend to be about the same results as our "runs".

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Chargers have 465 pass attempts which is 3rd highest in NFL.

Chargers have 250 rushing attempts which is 4th lowest in NFL.

Chargers have 312 completions, 2nd best.
                    Chargers have passed 215 more times than they have run it. 2nd biggest difference in NFL.
                    Only Tampa has passed it at a higher rate with 224 more passes than runs.
                    Herbert has 6 completions of 40yd plus, 4th best.
                    The league leaders have 9.
                    Tua has 6 like Justin.

Herbert has 35 completions of 20 plus yards, 6th best in the league. Tua with his high flying offense has 38. Only 3 more. And his WR have been healthy. Mahomes is head and shoulders above all other QBs here with 52.

One would think Tua would have much more 20plus and 40plus completions. Yet he doesn't. He is nearly identical to Herbert numbers for the big chunk gains.

Chargers are one of the most pass heavy teams in all the NFL and the numbers show that to be true. Literally top 3 in pass attempts and bottom 4 in run attempts.

They have a philosophy to use the short pass as extension of run game. By doing this it waters down the air distance yards. So looking at that metric and seeing a low yards per attempt is not surprising.

Anyway. Chargers are literally one of the most pass happy teams in all NFL and yet fans seem to thing we run it too much.

Bombs away needs super speedy flankers. And even then you would only toss a few a game because the defense is likely giving you the underneath stuff. Deep throws mean pass blocking has to hold up a second longer. Is it good enough to do that. It's a low percentage high risk play to go bombs away all day. Sacks and turnovers are just as likely as completing it.
                    Herbert will be getting hit more to play the game this way.

You want to set up your deep shots. It's a fight on GameDay. Jab, jab, body shot, jab, jab....then throw a well timed haymaker.
                    Short pass is the jab. Run is the body shot.
                    Chargers have been peppering opponents with the jab all year.

I know you want Lombo to tell Herbert to be like Rocky and just toss haymakers over and over while his face and ribs get destroyed but that not a good game plan to have a long successful career or to win the fight each GameDay.

:bertstare:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

The line has moved to -1.5 Chargers.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Chargers have passed 215 more times than they have run it. 2nd biggest difference in NFL.
                        Tua has 6 like Justin.

Herbert has 35 completions of 20 plus yards, 6th best in the league. Tua with his high flying offense has 38. Only 3 more. And his WR have been healthy. Mahomes is head and shoulders above all other QBs here with 52.

One would think Tua would have much more 20plus and 40plus completions. Yet he doesn't. He is nearly identical to Herbert numbers for the big chunk gains.

Chargers are one of the most pass heavy teams in all the NFL and the numbers show that to be true. Literally top 3 in pass attempts and bottom 4 in run attempts.

They have a philosophy to use the short pass as extension of run game. By doing this it waters down the air distance yards. So looking at that metric and seeing a low yards per attempt is not surprising.

Anyway. Chargers are literally one of the most pass happy teams in all NFL and yet fans seem to thing we run it too much.

Bombs away needs super speedy flankers. And even then you would only toss a few a game because the defense is likely giving you the underneath stuff. Deep throws mean pass blocking has to hold up a second longer. Is it good enough to do that. It's a low percentage high risk play to go bombs away all day. Sacks and turnovers are just as likely as completing it.

You want to set up your deep shots. It's a fight on GameDay. Jab, jab, body shot, jab, jab....then throw a well timed haymaker.

I know you want Lombo to tell Herbert to be like Rocky and just toss haymakers over and over while his face and ribs get destroyed but that not a good game plan to have a long successful career or to win the fight each GameDay.

Very good post - solid reasoning and backed up by the stats.

Knute Rockne (Notre Dame HC for many years) once said - when you pass only one of three things can happen and two of them aren't good.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                          Chargers Hall of Fame
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Tua has 6 like Justin.

Great post. Though I'd like to point out that MANY of our short passes are not just to save ribs and set up longer passes later. No, many of these are last-second checkdowns because the original option (maybe options) weren't open (or Herbert didn't see).

I'd just love to see receivers get more space either through talent or design. Cause Herbert can sure hit 'em!

I should add that I think we do run it too much on first down (or it sure feels that way). If we had more success, fine. But we usually run it up the gut for nada, setting up 2nd and long.

I don't need to see haymakers over and over. But, hell, let's see some like we saw his rookie year, when he had a FAR worse OL.

Comment

Working...
                          X