• Show
Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    Well, my girl gave it 'the ole college try'. She decided that the fatigue factor from the chemo was too much. Just doesn't have the stamina to keep up. So, rather than trash her GPA she's decided to push the semester and come home and focus on getting healthy. She spoke with the Dean of the engineering school and he got the registrar's office to waive the $100 fee per course charge so a full refund of her tuition should be coming. Auburn likes to preach "you are part of the Auburn family" and it really showed here. She'll return for the summer semester if all goes according to plan. I don't blame her for trying and I think she made the right decision. Its good to have her home.
    She definitely made the right decision. I know from experience that chemotherapy can knock the crap out of you, but that's what it's supposed to do. She's going to be back to normal before you know it. She has a long life ahead of her and one semester may seem like a long time now but it's just a blip on the radar in the big picture. I know you hear the cliche's about this, but once she's through it she will be stronger and she will look back on this time as a very interesting part of her journey.

Comment

• floydefisher
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • siberiacuse, ny
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      Well, my girl gave it 'the ole college try'. She decided that the fatigue factor from the chemo was too much. Just doesn't have the stamina to keep up. So, rather than trash her GPA she's decided to push the semester and come home and focus on getting healthy. She spoke with the Dean of the engineering school and he got the registrar's office to waive the $100 fee per course charge so a full refund of her tuition should be coming. Auburn likes to preach "you are part of the Auburn family" and it really showed here. She'll return for the summer semester if all goes according to plan. I don't blame her for trying and I think she made the right decision. Its good to have her home.
      Good to hear Auburn isn't being dicks about it.

Now I know who to cheer for when they play Alabama.
      sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I think stress and worry is bad for healing. So im glad shes taking the time to chill out and get her health back. No need to rush back and juggle a bunch of stuff. Just focus on being well. Getting the liver cleansed after chemo is really important. If you are in SD you should see my chinese doc. Hes a godsend. He can help her recover from chemo. And help with her illness im sure.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Time to clean this livers
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

As a fellow engineer, welcome her aboard the profession for me. We need more women engineers. And I agree, the coursework is too difficult to attempt without having mc^2.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Update 2/24/16

We were starting to get a bit worried. 6 weeks removed from chemo and not all of her blood counts were rebounding like the Dr expected them to. Some were back in the normal range, but the WBC were still very low. Another ultrasound revealed the her spleen had shrunk back down to 19cm from 29cm, so that was a very good sign, but we went ahead and did another bone marrow biopsy too. This scared the hell out of me. Got the results back yesterday and the news was good :smile: The number of cancer cells in her bone marrow was down to about 5% from 70%. The bone marrow appeared healthy and was making new cells. There wasn't any other cancer or issue present, so it appears she just needs more time for her bone marrow to completely recover. The chemo could still be at work for another couple of weeks and her still enlarged spleen could be the contributing factors to her low WBC count. We will continue to monitor her counts with bi-weekly blood draws.

At the recommendation of our current hematologist/oncologist we are getting a 2nd opinion with one of his mentors at the UAB Medical Center in Birmingham. It isn't that our guy doesn't feel confident, but he is young and doesn't have the experience with this type of rare cancer, especially in a young woman. He has consulted with the team he works with and his mentors across the US and feels that he just wants another set of eyes to go over every slide and her chart. I couldn't agree more. I was near the 2nd opinion point anyway. Especially if something bad would have come back on that 2nd biopsy.

Really, if my girl was standing in front of you, you wouldn't know she's ill. She looks perfectly fine. She's even put the little bit of weight she lost back on, her color looks good and her energy level is coming back up. She eats fine and is starting to get stir crazy just hanging around the house. She likes picking on her "old man" and making fun of his graying head. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to go through and I hope that some day we can find a cure and save people the agony.

Thank you all, from my entire family, for your thoughts, prayers, mojo and faith. You guys rock!! :cheers:
              sigpic

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Picking on her old man is a very good sign. It sounds like she's felling better. Nonetheless, a second opinion is a very good idea. I'm glad her physician suggested it. Some good vibes from Idaho are headed your way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Sounds good, continued Mojo!

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Yes..continued prayers brother. She will be fine. I can feel it.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Continue mojo your daughter's way Mako!

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma