• Show
Clear All
  • RobH
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • University English Lecturer
    • Send PM

Well hell... keep your head up and keep the faith. Mojo to you and your daughter and family.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Continued mojo/thoughts/prayers your way.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        So, it looks like another round of chemo is how we move forward. This time they want to use the 2 drugs (cladribine and retuximab) in closer succession. Last time they didn't follow the chemo (cladribine) with the retuximab until months later. They're supposed to be given back to back. So, here we go again! She wants to get started right away. The Doc at MD Anderson is confidant this will be a knock out blow to the cancer this time because we're catching it early and weak. I want to believe that. The Doc at our local cancer center is not so sure and thinks it will return and she'll need a bone marrow transplant to completely kill it. I don't like the sound of that. Those transplants can be really rough.
        You have to believe that. You will it into existence. We got you. We got her. MOJO sending. Ill donate marrow. I have no idea how one finds out if they are a match or not. But you can test me.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

So yea...probably know all this, and it sounds like you may have as much or more experience than I did with this...but I came out the other side clean, and there are a few things I will offer up...cuz it's always good to read what works, even if you already know...sort of reaffirms ideas...and there may be other readers here who are going through this, or god forbid, will in the future.

1. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Feeling sick, or your all hopped up on drugs and just forget, or your just too tired to get up and get it....but you can't forget that water...it is critical. After my first round of chemo, got an ass chewing cuz I looked bad...told if I didn't get right, I was risking organ failure...my wife took this personally, and kept a log all the rest of the way, so she knew at all times how much H2O I had that day. Much smoother after my next chemo, then chemo/rad combo.

2.Meds. Again, we kept a log. Anti nausea, pain, and the calming stuff. Always take what the docs and nurses tell you, and NEVER quit without clearing it. I decided I was taking too many pills, so I stopped taking Lorazapam...put me in a 3 day funk where I could give a shit if I made it or not. Fortunately, I sorta knew what was happening to me in an academic sense...but it was still a bad trip. Got another ass chewing from my nurse when I told her too...and from the wife. In the logs it went...

3. Logs. In addition to hydration, you gotta keep the drugs, the food, and the meds on a ledger...peeing to confirm kidney function, and if it's painful treatment, the opiates can back you up...so the pooing too...if things get ugly, and I hope it don't...the logs can make a difference. No dehydration, no loss of needed nourishment, and no missed pills, ever...cuz us patients get in a funk, and miss that stuff so easily...we just plain forget.

My first round of chemo, I tried to handle it all myself, cuz I wanted to limit my wifes exposure, and show her I was fine, and could breeze thru it like a big strong man, so she wouldn't have to fret...what a fuck up I made of it, I'll tell you. Thought I was tough, so I skipped some anti-nausea meds...and ended up puking like crazy. Forgot to keep drinking water, and got severly dehydrated...and lost a few more pounds than they liked from not eating, cuz my throat and mouth was so jacked up, and I was supposed to use a feeding tube they had installed. So my wife started that log, and made me use that damn feeding tube, whether I liked it or not...(really freaked me out...big strong man, huh?) Most of the rest of the way was very good...not easy, very painful...but I felt good about it...that I was beating it with my wife's disciplined approach. We did have a deal late in the game, where I didn't realize I had not pooed in several days, and I could not take water I was so filled up...but we got that cleared up, and then that went in the logs...humbling, I'll tell you.

Love and prayers...most important. But if things get hairy, and I hope they don't....a disciplined approach is a big help if it turns into a fight. Again, may be quoting scripture to a preacher...but also, maybe someone else on here gets something from it.

Mojo to you and yours.
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            So yea...probably know all this, and it sounds like you may have as much or more experience than I did with this...but I came out the other side clean, and there are a few things I will offer up...cuz it's always good to read what works, even if you already know...sort of reaffirms ideas...and there may be other readers here who are going through this, or god forbid, will in the future.

1. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Feeling sick, or your all hopped up on drugs and just forget, or your just too tired to get up and get it....but you can't forget that water...it is critical. After my first round of chemo, got an ass chewing cuz I looked bad...told if I didn't get right, I was risking organ failure...my wife took this personally, and kept a log all the rest of the way, so she knew at all times how much H2O I had that day. Much smoother after my next chemo, then chemo/rad combo.

2.Meds. Again, we kept a log. Anti nausea, pain, and the calming stuff. Always take what the docs and nurses tell you, and NEVER quit without clearing it. I decided I was taking too many pills, so I stopped taking Lorazapam...put me in a 3 day funk where I could give a shit if I made it or not. Fortunately, I sorta knew what was happening to me in an academic sense...but it was still a bad trip. Got another ass chewing from my nurse when I told her too...and from the wife. In the logs it went...

3. Logs. In addition to hydration, you gotta keep the drugs, the food, and the meds on a ledger...peeing to confirm kidney function, and if it's painful treatment, the opiates can back you up...so the pooing too...if things get ugly, and I hope it don't...the logs can make a difference. No dehydration, no loss of needed nourishment, and no missed pills, ever...cuz us patients get in a funk, and miss that stuff so easily...we just plain forget.

My first round of chemo, I tried to handle it all myself, cuz I wanted to limit my wifes exposure, and show her I was fine, and could breeze thru it like a big strong man, so she wouldn't have to fret...what a fuck up I made of it, I'll tell you. Thought I was tough, so I skipped some anti-nausea meds...and ended up puking like crazy. Forgot to keep drinking water, and got severly dehydrated...and lost a few more pounds than they liked from not eating, cuz my throat and mouth was so jacked up, and I was supposed to use a feeding tube they had installed. So my wife started that log, and made me use that damn feeding tube, whether I liked it or not...(really freaked me out...big strong man, huh?) Most of the rest of the way was very good...not easy, very painful...but I felt good about it...that I was beating it with my wife's disciplined approach. We did have a deal late in the game, where I didn't realize I had not pooed in several days, and I could not take water I was so filled up...but we got that cleared up, and then that went in the logs...humbling, I'll tell you.

Love and prayers...most important. But if things get hairy, and I hope they don't....a disciplined approach is a big help if it turns into a fight. Again, may be quoting scripture to a preacher...but also, maybe someone else on here gets something from it.

Mojo to you and yours.
            We salute you warrior.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Mojo to you and yours.
              You’ve got one hell of a wife, my man.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Well, maybe 2020 will be a better year after all. Much to everyone's amazement, my daughter completed her 2nd round of chemo with very few side affects. Last time it put her in the hospital. Maybe it was the different way it was administered, but I don't really care. She just has 7 more once a week treatments of Rituximab, beginning today, and that will complete the treatment. Then it will be another bone marrow biopsy to see how effective it was. We're hoping this was a knockout punch!

Thank you to everyone that has kept her in their thoughts!!
                sigpic

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Well, maybe 2020 will be a better year after all. Much to everyone's amazement, my daughter completed her 2nd round of chemo with very few side affects. Last time it put her in the hospital. Maybe it was the different way it was administered, but I don't really care. She just has 7 more once a week treatments of Rituximab, beginning today, and that will complete the treatment. Then it will be another bone marrow biopsy to see how effective it was. We're hoping this was a knockout punch!

Mako Good Luck and may your daughter kick cancer's ass.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

My prayers are with her and you.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Awesome news...she got this...
                      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Sending the mojo brother. Ill probably be needing some of it soon. I would really suggest getting into a chinese med dr after she is done. Just to do a really gentle cleanse of her liver and lymphatic system. Purge out that poison. Give the body an optimal chance to fight. And a really healthy clean liver will help.

Much love to you and your family brother.

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Sending the mojo brother. Ill probably be needing some of it soon. I would really suggest getting into a chinese med dr after she is done. Just to do a really gentle cleanse of her liver and lymphatic system. Purge out that poison. Give the body an optimal chance to fight. And a really healthy clean liver will help.

Much love to you and your family brother.
                          We have been keeping you and your Brother in our thoughts out here. More power and mojo to you both.

I hear you and agree with what your saying. I'll look for what you're talking about out here. What, exactly, am I searching for? I don't think putting "chinese med dr" in google is gonna do it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X