• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

The thing that bugs me is that no matter WHO the opponent is, we still manage to play a 1-score game (even the Texans game, not really "comfortable", IMO, as we blew a 17-pt lead at one point). So it doesn't matter if the team we're playing is 7-3 or 3-7, it's always a close game. Why is that? There are a couple of teams on the schedule who we should have put away easily, and we didn't. Do we just play down (or up) to the level of competition? It's maddening. I would wager to guess that we're the only team with a winning record that has NOT scored an easy win. Yet we've been blown away, ourselves, in at least 2 games (Jax, Seattle).
    largest margin of victory was 10 over the Texans
    otherwise Raiders + 5; Browns + 2; Cardinals + 1; Denver, Falcons and Titans =+3; Dolphins + 6

Chargers have a plus/minus point differential of -28

I will take the wins - any way you can but these two weeks with the Colts and Rams - win by double digits please

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah but Reid, Bienemy calling great games is the exact opposite of Mahomey runs the show? Wasn’t that the point being countered to start this latest maslobbering mahosefest - Justin should be allowed to run the offense like mahamster is?

Genius Reid and Bienemy were barely able to squeak out a LUCKY WIN vs the worst team in the NFL on Sunday. The most esteemed strategists in the land couldn’t figure out how to beat the hapless Texans in regulation yet this forum had a meltdown we only won by a comfortable 10 pts

perspective is lacking in these parts. Not referencing you, just a general comment. Folks here think all this shit is so easy, like Staley and Co are running out on the field to oppose stationary pylons or something and every win less than 20 pts is in reality a failure.
      Gotcha.
      Every game is different. We can find tendencies but they don't come with guarantees.
      Staley is a bright guy who uses every tool available to him, tempered by experience.
      The Chargers current goal, as it is every week, win the next game, try to stay healthy.
      He wants to be in playoffs with the best team possible. W's and healthy, totally bought in players.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I mean you could look at it that way.

What if he's just a coach seeing a talent like Herbert that is appealing to him. He shouldn't do it out of etiquette? F that.
        If he is confident enough to believe he can get rings with Herbert. He's earned that right fIMO.

Herbert is a player ANY QB oriented coach would love to hitch their wagon to. Im not going to fault him for his attraction to a superstar young QB. And if he can get us a ring he can offend everyone for all I care.
        forget everything I said in the last post because none of that shit even matters…you know why?….because the spanii are not going to owe Staley 3 years on his deal, send multiple picks to the saints, and then pay top of the market money for a coach that’s going to demand control over GM hires and personnel decisions and then basically tell john spanos to stay the fuck out of the building, LOL…I want a ring too but I just don’t see this one happening and I’m not sure I want to see it happen either…plus peyton having a ring doesn’t mean we’re guaranteed of getting one with him as our coach…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

The thing that bugs me is that no matter WHO the opponent is, we still manage to play a 1-score game (even the Texans game, not really "comfortable", IMO, as we blew a 17-pt lead at one point). So it doesn't matter if the team we're playing is 7-3 or 3-7, it's always a close game. Why is that? There are a couple of teams on the schedule who we should have put away easily, and we didn't. Do we just play down (or up) to the level of competition? It's maddening. I would wager to guess that we're the only team with a winning record that has NOT scored an easy win. Yet we've been blown away, ourselves, in at least 2 games (Jax, Seattle).
          Yeah, maybe a bit more than desirable, maybe its just the NFL. If you’re not comfortable with a 10 pt win, i don’t konw what to say. They didn’t “blow” shit - they won by 10. Its not like Chargers are extraordinarily unique in this regard. A lot of games are one score games in the league this year. Some 3-7 teams have more than just the loss to us within one score. Houston Sunday is a perfect example. MIN took a record 2nd half to beat a 4-8-1 Indy. On and on - again, its perspective. Look at how many “shitty” wins the Chiefs have

6 Chief wins were less than 7 pts:
          Chargers
          Raiders
          Titans
          Chargers again
          Broncos
          Texans

Oh, and they LOST to the Colts. Lets look at the Colts losses - 6 of the 9 were a TD or less

Texans
          Titans
          Commanders
          Eagles
          Steelers
          Vikings

Yet if we win by less than 7 points it means something noteworthy? Staley is not flawless but I see him learning and he shows he is not stubborn immovable old crusty coach who will not adapt or learn. I expect he learns and grows more and more. Injuries are not an excuse but they are definitely an explanation at times because i don’t care who the coach is, players still have to make plays and the notion it doesn’t matter who plays belies everything we know about athletics and competitors. We know players matter. Belichick knows, he’s a .500 coach since Brady left. McVey knows, he went from SB winner to last place. All coaches know. The league is too competitive and players make plays. Chargers lost 4 of their top defensive players (or more, depending on week), lost both starting OTs, and had a QB hobbled by jacked ribs without any starting wide receivers to throw to. 8-6 could be better, but it also ain’t so bad

and now … now he’s got his team, OUR team, fighting like a pack of hungry pit bulls and they are on the up - surging at just the right time. if a few other guys come back, its not a bad spot to be given what they have gone thru this year.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

If you like blow-outs, watch those early season college games when the best teams in the country are playing small schools. This is the NFL where the vast majority of all games are won or lost by a one score margin.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              If you like blow-outs, watch those early season college games when the best teams in the country are playing small schools. This is the NFL where the vast majority of all games are won or lost by a one score margin.
              Last three opponents of injury stricken Titans averaging 29 points and Chargers only scored 17.

Those making excuses for Lombardi and wanting to extend him are going to waste Herbert’s talent.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah, maybe a bit more than desirable, maybe its just the NFL. If you’re not comfortable with a 10 pt win, i don’t know what to say. They didn’t “blow” shit - they won by 10. Its not like Chargers are extraordinarily unique in this regard. A lot of games are one score games in the league this year. Some 3-7 teams have more than just the loss to us within one score. Houston Sunday is a perfect example. MIN took a record 2nd half to beat a 4-8-1 Indy. On and on - again, its perspective. Look at how many “shitty” wins the Chiefs have

6 Chief wins were less than 7 pts:
                Chargers
                Raiders
                Titans
                Chargers again
                Broncos
                Texans

Oh, and they LOST to the Colts. Lets look at the Colts losses - 6 of the 9 were a TD or less

Texans
                Titans
                Commanders
                Eagles
                Steelers
                Vikings

Yet if we win by less than 7 points it means something noteworthy? Staley is not flawless but I see him learning and he shows he is not stubborn immovable old crusty coach who will not adapt or learn. I expect he learns and grows more and more. Injuries are not an excuse but they are definitely an explanation at times because i don’t care who the coach is, players still have to make plays and the notion it doesn’t matter who plays belies everything we know about athletics and competitors. We know players matter. Belichick knows, he’s a .500 coach since Brady left. McVey knows, he went from SB winner to last place. All coaches know. The league is too competitive and players make plays. Chargers lost 4 of their top defensive players (or more, depending on week), lost both starting OTs, and had a QB hobbled by jacked ribs without any starting wide receivers to throw to. 8-6 could be better, but it also ain’t so bad

and now … now he’s got his team, OUR team, fighting like a pack of hungry pit bulls and they are on the up - surging at just the right time. if a few other guys come back, its not a bad spot to be given what they have gone thru this year.
                They were ahead 27-7 and it was 27-24 at one point against the 1-12-1 Texans. That's "blowing" a lead, to me. Not sure what it is to you.

As for your cherry-picked stats, why didn't you list the margins of victory of, say...

The Bills: Who have wins of 21, 34, 35, and 14

Or...

The 49ers: Who have wins of 20, 15, 22, 14, 18 and 17

Or...

The Bengals: Who have wins of 15, 12, 18, 19, 21, and 13

Or...

Even the Chiefs, who have wins of 19, 23, 16, and 10 (since 10 seems to be a blowout to you)

The above teams are the team(s) we are going to need to beat to make a run in the playoffs. And none of them have been blown away, as we have (twice). So, again, I ask: Do we just play down/up to the level of our competition? No way teams like the Texans, Browns, Cardinals or Falcons should have been able to hang with us. Even the shitty Raiders manhandled us. Not sure why we haven't been able to just put those teams, at least, away.

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
                  Serenity now!
                  • Sep 2021
                  • North Carolina
                  • Teacher
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think many on this forum have seen enough Chargers football to think that way

but I hope the Chargers play a game with your final score

I would love to see Chase Daniels play for the Chargers on Monday - because they are winning by a lot
                  Was just joshing. But yeah I try to keep my excitement for a Chargers team in check also(Been a fan myself since '94. We have had some damn good teams imo since then, but obviously haven't quite gotten over the hump to win the top prize).

I do think we can win by the score I predicted and make some damage in the playoffs if we take care of business and get there; this is the most talent we have had in forever.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    12/16 this past week 1 score games.

The 4 that were not. 9-12pt games.

24-12 Monday night game was the biggest margin of victory.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

12/16 this past week 1 score games.

The 4 that were not. 9-12pt games.

24-12 Monday night game was the biggest margin of victory.
                      What? No 20-point blow-outs? That's what happens when you have OC's like Lombardi!
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

It’s official!

Comment

• Texas Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2021
                          • Send PM

Keep it rolling boys. D is playing great and I sure hope the O gets rolling for a complete game. This game will be very close (reverse mojo lol)

31-14 Chargers

Comment

Working...
                          X