• Show
Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

Players always have supported every coach except maybe Gilbride right as they were fired even so player support means jack shit.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

I feel like this too but I know I won’t ever quit. I’ll suffer through the dark times in frustration and die unfulfilled as a football fan.

you have to make a move on Payton or else your an absolute shit owner. The dude covets the job. Staley is not the next McVay clearly and he is a mediocre coach making mistakes and learning on the job that you can tell stop making so many 4th down chances and he will say yessir !
      Dude, we are not a serious franchise.

It was fun daydreaming on Sunday of what could be...but that's all it was...a dream.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

I said it when the Chargers were 6-6 and coming off the loss to the Raiders….if the Chargers were REALLY serious about doing what it takes to win a championship they would bring in the Payton/Fangio combination. It would be a seamless transition from a system standpoint, but an immediate upgrade in coaching and play-calling. Staley is a Fangio protege running the same system. Lombardi is a Payton protege running the same system. Basically you upgrade to the master from the student in both cases.

The problem is that under Spanos they just don’t think that way. They get too caught up in near-term dollars. In a salary cap world where every team has talent, coaching matters and is where you can get a competitive advantage. Payton WANTS this job because he knows the pieces are I’m place to compete for a championship right now. It reminds me of 10 or 11 years ago when Andy Reid was available and he WANTED the Chargers job, but the cheap Spanos decided to got with Mike McCoy…I hope they learn from that mistake, but am not confident that they will.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post
          I said it when the Chargers were 6-6 and coming off the loss to the Raiders….if the Chargers were REALLY serious about doing what it takes to win a championship they would bring in the Payton/Fangio combination. It would be a seamless transition from a system standpoint, but an immediate upgrade in coaching and play-calling. Staley is a Fangio protege running the same system. Lombardi is a Payton protege running the same system. Basically you upgrade to the master from the student in both cases.

The problem is that under Spanos they just don’t think that way. They get too caught up in near-term dollars. In a salary cap world where every team has talent, coaching matters and is where you can get a competitive advantage. Payton WANTS this job because he knows the pieces are I’m place to compete for a championship right now. It reminds me of 10 or 11 years ago when Andy Reid was available and he WANTED the Chargers job, but the cheap Spanos decided to got with Mike McCoy…I hope they learn from that mistake, but am not confident that they will.
          I remember Reid being available, not sure if he was clamoring for the Chargers job but many here wrote him off as not being able to win a championship. Of course we picked McCoy and you know the rest.

It's apples or oranges but Harbaugh kind of gives me the same vibe as Reid did back then - he's ready for a change and I think his next stop will yield him great success. Some guys are just winners - Harbaugh is that kind of guy. Will he win a Super Bowl? I don't know, but he will damn sure get a team closer than Staley ever will.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

The odds for Payton leading a 2nd team to a Superbowl win are against him. At least, Harbaugh went to 3 straight NFC championship games, and one Superbowl that he lost. He never lost the locker room, he lost the battle with the front office and particularly the GM. The 49ers fired that GM regardless not that much later.
            i think it’s about the dumbest thing ever to say a coach has never won a Super Bowl with two different teams and draw the conclusion that Super Bowl win on a resume is a negative thing.

Payton is an elite offensive coach who led historic passing offenses with Drew Brees. Herbert has the same desire to be great and more physical talent. NFL pundits want it to happen purely to see how great it could be. We wouldn’t be deficient at coaching to Andy Reid in the division anymore. Heck you probably thought Reid was a bad hire by KC because of how it ended in Philly. Was a bad idea to hire Marty because of his playoff record ?

a proven veteran coach is EXACTLY what we need. Norv wasn’t exactly proven but at least he was a veteran and he is the last time we won a division. These cheap rookie coaches clearly aren’t cutting it this is the third in a row after two succeful veteran hires. WTF is wrong with this ownership ?!? Bb

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

What a beta organization all the way from owner and GM down to the HC and starting QB.

2023 is already DOA.
              More like an omega organization.

I've been calling for a culture change since Week 12. And got torn several new assholes from the posters here because of it. Now, most everyone's on board. Those who aren't have gone into hiding. I think the message is clear, or it should be: People are going to stop supporting this team if drastic changes are not made. Count me as one of them. There are plenty of other, classy organizations out there - that really commit to winning - that are more worthy of my time and energy. My first football love, way back before the merger, were the Pete Gogolak (PK) Buffalo Bills. Maybe it's time.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

There’s a reason Payton has hinted that he wants to coach here. He doesn’t need the job or the money. He can wait or have his pick basically. He sees this roster and believes he can be successful with it. I bet it’s his first choice if available.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

More like an omega organization.

I've been calling for a culture change since Week 12. And got torn several new assholes from the posters here because of it. Now, most everyone's on board. Those who aren't have gone into hiding. I think the message is clear, or it should be: People are going to stop supporting this team if drastic changes are not made. Count me as one of them. There are plenty of other, classy organizations out there - that really commit to winning - that are more worthy of my time and energy. My first football love, way back before the merger, were the Pete Gogolak (PK) Buffalo Bills. Maybe it's time.
                  I get it, but does it matter when 50-75% of the home seats are filled with opposing fans, anyway?

Like we don't even have THAT leverage against them.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    There’s a reason Payton has hinted that he wants to coach here. He doesn’t need the job or the money. He can wait or have his pick basically. He sees this roster and believes he can be successful with it. I bet it’s his first choice if available.
                    It clearly is. He covets the job. He was wearing chargers colored tie and picking the jags to win on the pre game show.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I get it, but does it matter when 50-75% of the home seats are filled with opposing fans, anyway?

Like we don't even have THAT leverage against them.
                      Probably not. I've always said that the Span-Asses only care about the bottom line, not about winning. At least, not enough to realize that what they have done all along isn't working. If 100% of the seats are filled, it really doesn't matter to them if ALL those seats are taken by fans of the opposition. But my decision isn't being made with the hope that the Span-Asses will change; it's about me enjoying football again.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

I have heard many people talking like they going to quit the Chargers after Saturdays result. I think Spanos is in danger of losing many fans if he sticks with Staley. We need Payton or at least Harabaugh to energize the fan base. Spanos must change his style Be loud on Social media

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                          I have heard many people talking like they going to quit the Chargers after Saturdays result. I think Spanos is in danger of losing many fans if he sticks with Staley. We need Payton or at least Harabaugh to energize the fan base. Spanos must change his style Be loud on Social media
                          They had yet another great opportunity to bring in a proven coach when they went after Herbert a few years ago. They stuck with Lynn for another year. Then they proceeded to hire another inexperienced coach in Stayley.

If it isn't clear to Charger fans by now, that the owners only care about the bottom line (outside of cap expenses), then I don't know what to tell ya.

If an embarrassment of this magnitude doesn't change things, nothing will.

Comment

Working...
                          X