• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classic
    Hall Of Fame
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Where's the evidence that Harbaugh burned everyone out? The 49ers went to trash after he left, and Kaepernick' devolved from a Pro Bowl quarterback to backing up Blaine Gabbert.

You and I have had this conversation about Payton before. He had nine playoff seasons in 15 years with Brees as his quarterback. He inexcusably lost a playoff game to the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010, was outcoached by Harbaugh in the 2011 Divisional Round, led the Saints to the Divisional Round debacle against Case Keenum and the Vikings in the 2017 playoffs, and I believe is 1-4 in road playoff games. You brought up Andy Reid as a comparison. I think his second stint will be more like Jimmy Johnson's was with the Miami Dolphins.
    I dont understand how many SBs did Saints really miss out on? 2018 is only 1 I can say for sure and that was ref mistake. 2019 was a tale of two halfs as Brees regressed in back half of the season. Outside of that those teams were as good as they could be. 2010's loss was coming off a SB win and we know how good of HC pete caroll is now in his 2nd stint with Seattle. You say outcoached by Harbaugh but he was rolling in SF as the underdogs. Jim is a damn good coach and if I remember it wasnt like SF blew them out or anything. Any other Saints playoff loss was the team just not having enough talent on defense which is the only concern I have with Payton.

Either Harbaugh or Payton would be head and shoulders better than Staley but will see if Dean is willing to adapt his ways.

Comment

• Classic
      Hall Of Fame
      • Dec 2014
      • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post

Not a critic at all of Sean Payton. I just don't think giving up a first round draft pick when we need offensive and defensive line help is a wise idea, even if it landed us the next Joe Gibbs.

Plus, he's way too expensive for the Spani to spring for. EB is a poor man's Peyton IMHO.
      Fair point but the pick will be a late 1st rounder and Telesco still being here doesnt make it a lock a good player will be selected. Also we got Slater coming back and have gem in Salyer that Payton can help coach up. If Paytons staff can bring the same OL coaches that helped build a wall that led Brees to having multiple 5000 yard seasons. He could do the same with Pipkens, Salyer and some other later round picks we nab in 2023.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
        Apparently being clearly better than Brandon Staley isn't enough for the Sean Payton critics. He now has to have won multiple SBs with Brees. I like to remind everyone he took a team that was known as the 'aints and routinely had them as a Top 5 offense with a QB no one believed in after a major injury. He isnt perfect and he has had bad losses but nothing like last night or any charger playoff loss from the past. All I know is Brandon Staley is not the answer and the previous 3 1st time hires says Telesco isnt either.
        They were the "Aints" before Jim Mora got there. Jim Haslett had them in the playoffs once and in contention a few years before Payton got there.

Payton does deserve credit for the work he did following Katrina. How much does he have left after 15 years in New Orleans? Is HE burned out?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

I dont understand how many SBs did Saints really miss out on? 2018 is only 1 I can say for sure and that was ref mistake. 2019 was a tale of two halfs as Brees regressed in back half of the season. Outside of that those teams were as good as they could be. 2010's loss was coming off a SB win and we know how good of HC pete caroll is now in his 2nd stint with Seattle. You say outcoached by Harbaugh but he was rolling in SF as the underdogs. Jim is a damn good coach and if I remember it wasnt like SF blew them out or anything. Any other Saints playoff loss was the team just not having enough talent on defense which is the only concern I have with Payton.

Either Harbaugh or Payton would be head and shoulders better than Staley but will see if Dean is willing to adapt his ways.
          The 2010 playoff loss was inexcusable. Yes, Carroll is a great coach, but it was the first year in the rebuild, two seasons before Russell Wilson. The Seahawks had been blown out in three of the four games before the playoffs. They got in at 7-9 after beating the Rams in the final game of the regular season. The Rams finished in second place in the NFC West that year, with a record of 6-10.

The 2011 Saints were 13-3 and had beaten the Super Bowl champs of that season, the Giants, 49-24. Against the 49ers in the Divisional Round they came out flat and fell behind 17-0. They allowed Alex Smith, who had only 17 touchdown passes that season, to lead the 49ers to 17 fourth quarter points, including a 28-yard touchdown run by Smith.

Then there's the debacle against Minnesota, which had Case Keenum at quarterback, in 2017.

Then there are the five seasons Payton missed with Brees at quarterback, most notably the three 7-9 years in 2014, 2015, and 2016. They would have been 6-10 in 2016 if we hadn't gift-wrapped them a victory in one of our disgusting embarrassments that season.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Florida fan View Post

Kinda tells you how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. Let be honest, Brees wasn’t exactly Franchise Guy until Payton built the Saints Program around him. If Payton thinks he can do something with this current team minus 2 first rd picks, he is telling us we have a QB much Better than Brees.

if spanos is smart a Payton will bring a consistent Playoff team with a real shot at a the Super Bowl.

Spanos Team would go up in Value at least 50%.
            The first bolded point is exactly my point.
            SP will only coach again if he knows he can win a superbowl, and imo has identified Herbert as the key.

The second is a great point, at worst, SP brings a consistent playoff team, and that is a way to avoid criticism for being both cheap and incompetent.

1 thing I don't want to see regardless of what happens, is another change in defensive scheme.
            sooooo much cap and time (resources) are spent for basically equivalent results. Scheme itself doesn't matter as much talent and coaching, so please no more resources overhauling the defense.
            I'd much rather see resources put into installing a Herbert-led offense. I think SP would do exactly this.
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Nepotism. Chargers have a history of it and word of it is getting around the league, and the Chargers' trophy case will remain empty because of it.
              Last edited by ghost; 01-15-2023, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Nepotism. Chargers have a history of it and word of it is getting around the league, and the Chargers' trophy will remain empty because of it.
                AGREE!!!!!

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Dreaming about the team hiring Payton seems to be as wistful as thinks about what you'd do if you picked winning lottery numbers. Fun to dream about, but an almost infinitesimal chance of happening.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Dreaming about the team hiring Payton seems to be as wistful as thinks about what you'd do if you picked winning lottery numbers. Fun to dream about, but an almost infinitesimal chance of happening.
                    I'm taking it very serious as I'm leaving if Dean + John continue on the same line.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      I don't see Telesco giving away a 1st rounder for Payton.
                      I like 1st round picks, myself.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Nepotism. Chargers have a history of it and word of it is getting around the league, and the Chargers' trophy case will remain empty because of it.
                        All the more reason Payton will avoid the Chargers organization.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The owner's kid wants control of the roster versus Sean Payton having influence over the same roster.

The Golden Rule of Business: Hire people smarter than yourself in a given field and delegate. And Dean Spanos can't manage this simple axiom and it drives me to apoplexy.

Comment

Working...
                          X