• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lightsout42
    Hire a winning coach
    • Oct 2019
    • Send PM

I don’t understand how some want to go from a series of failed HC experiments, wasting PR and now JH, to new HC experiments.

Pay for the experienced winner HC and stop playing games.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Payton had a record of 152-89 as a coach with a ring and 9 playoff appearances - I’m not sure I’d call that overrated. Jim Harbaugh had 3 great seasons with the 49ers and burned out everyone by his 4th year and went to Michigan after the team collapsed. He is far more suited for college where players are gone before he wears them down. I’d far rather have Payton but either would be an upgrade over what we have. We won’t pay for either though, so at best it is an exercise in wishful thinking.
      Where's the evidence that Harbaugh burned everyone out? The 49ers went to trash after he left, and Kaepernick' devolved from a Pro Bowl quarterback to backing up Blaine Gabbert.

You and I have had this conversation about Payton before. He had nine playoff seasons in 15 years with Brees as his quarterback. He inexcusably lost a playoff game to the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010, was outcoached by Harbaugh in the 2011 Divisional Round, led the Saints to the Divisional Round debacle against Case Keenum and the Vikings in the 2017 playoffs, and I believe is 1-4 in road playoff games. You brought up Andy Reid as a comparison. I think his second stint will be more like Jimmy Johnson's was with the Miami Dolphins.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post
        I don’t understand how some want to go from a series of failed HC experiments, wasting PR and now JH, to new HC experiments.

The barrier to entry with Payton is simply too high: $$ and draft picks.

But serious question: have both Payton and Harbaugh been away from the NFL for too long to succeed anymore?
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Because he has a ring?
          Mike Ditka has a ring. How did that work out for him in his second head-coaching job--with the Saints?

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

To the 'I'd rather have Harbaugh' guys....Fine. Go start a thread on Harbaugh for HC. We'll see how that thread fares.

I'd rather hear discussion on Payton here. I'm ready to give up a 1st this year and a 2nd Round NEXT YEAR to land Payton, famous local Manhattan Beach resident. Did I mention Vic Fangio is coming with Payton? Kinda a big deal.

Again, Payton WANTS the Chargers. WHY don't the Chargers want him?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Where's the evidence that Harbaugh burned everyone out?
              No evidence whatsoever, unless you only consider the GM when you say everyone. The players went on record to defend him, so he didn't lose the locker room -- he just lost to a GM in Trent Baalke who was playing politics and made the entire organization toxic. Baalke was eventually fired and John Lynch brought in -- Harbaugh went on record to support the Lynch hiring, so you can see there was animosity between him and Baalke.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                To the 'I'd rather have Harbaugh' guys....Fine. Go start a thread on Harbaugh for HC. We'll see how that thread fares.

I'd rather hear discussion on Payton here. I'm ready to give up a 1st this year and a 2nd Round NEXT YEAR to land Payton, famous local Manhattan Beach resident. Did I mention Vic Fangio is coming with Payton? Kinda a big deal.

Harbaugh is talked about in several threads on this forum. There's no point in starting a new thread about him now.

The Chargers may not want Payton for the reasons I pointed out earlier:

He had nine playoff seasons in 15 years with Brees as his quarterback. He inexcusably lost a playoff game to the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010, was outcoached by Harbaugh in the 2011 Divisional Round, led the Saints to the Divisional Round debacle against Case Keenum and the Vikings in the 2017 playoffs, and I believe is 1-4 in road playoff games.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post

The team of Dean & John have chosen: Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn, & Brandon Staley. Their record totals are 79-83.

Sean Payton has a record of 152-89. Playoff record of 9–8.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I dunno man...that's a steep price to pay for a team that needs it's next GM to hit some home runs on draft picks. There is no guarantee of success with Payton, and history would not be on his side to win a second SB here.

I just hate giving up draft picks, especially when we going to be cap strapped.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Why does this feel like we are choosing either Marty or Norv again? LOL

Marty - wears on guys - playoff choker
                      Norv - "offensive genius who won super bowls in Dallas"

In the end, Marty great in regular season and getting guys to learn how to win week to tweek. Norv a good O - coordinator who is probably overrated due to the rosters he had.

Why is nobody bringing up the Sean Payton collapses in playoffs?

You mean some of the worst officiating we've ever seen?
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Irmo, SC
                        • Send PM

Money... Dean Spanos. Not Alex.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Send PM

Plenty of reasons have been provided in this thread. A rehash SB-winning coach just doesn't have much success outside of the regular season (and even in that regard, the records have been questionable depending on where and who you look at), historically-speaking.

Comment

Working...
                          X