• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

The team of Dean & John have chosen: Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn, & Brandon Staley. Their record totals are 79-83.

Sean Payton has a record of 152-89. Playoff record of 9–8.
    Reason enough for me.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

The barrier to entry with Payton is simply too high: $$ and draft picks.

But serious question: have both Payton and Harbaugh been away from the NFL for too long to succeed anymore?
      We're picking 20ish. That's a high 2nd round level draft pick. There aren't 20 first round quality picks in this draft. You're talking about a solid but not game changer type player. Give it up for a difference making coach.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

You mean some of the worst officiating we've ever seen?
        Against the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010? All I remember from that game was Marshawn Lynch making Payton's defense look like Pop Warner players.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
          To the 'I'd rather have Harbaugh' guys....Fine. Go start a thread on Harbaugh for HC. We'll see how that thread fares.

I'd rather hear discussion on Payton here. I'm ready to give up a 1st this year and a 2nd Round NEXT YEAR to land Payton, famous local Manhattan Beach resident. Did I mention Vic Fangio is coming with Payton? Kinda a big deal.

Again, Payton WANTS the Chargers. WHY don't the Chargers want him?
          If Payton can absolutely land Vic as his DC then I can get on board with that.
          I think the world of Vic and could even assume HC if Payton himself can't deliver.
          we'll see.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

No evidence whatsoever, unless you only consider the GM when you say everyone. The players went on record to defend him, so he didn't lose the locker room -- he just lost to a GM in Trent Baalke who was playing politics and made the entire organization toxic. Baalke was eventually fired and John Lynch brought in -- Harbaugh went on record to support the Lynch hiring, so you can see there was animosity between him and Baalke.
            Really?

San Francisco 49ers guard Alex Boone has flipped his narrative regarding Jim Harbaugh.

Boone vehemently attacked all those who attacked his former coach during the season. More recently the guard told Andrea Kremer, in an interview that will air Tuesday on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumble, that Harbaugh grated on the players after a time.

"He does a great job of giving you that spark, that initial boom," Boone said, via NBC Sports. "But after a while, you just want to kick his ass. ... He just keeps pushing you, and you're like, 'Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.' He kind of wore out his welcome."

Kremer asked Boone to clarify his comments.

"I think he just pushed guys too far," the former Ohio State player said. " He wanted too much, demanded too much, expected too much. You know, 'We gotta go out and do this. We gotta go out and do this. We gotta go out and do this.' And you'd be like, 'This guy might be clinically insane. He's crazy.' ... I think that if you're stuck in your ways enough, eventually people are just going to say, 'Listen, we just can't work with this.'"

It's not a new theory that Harbaugh got under his players' skin. Randy Moss' criticism early in Harbaugh's tenure in San Francisco was that the coach ran the squad less like a pro team and more like a college one.
            From his own mouth:

Harbaugh even admitted to Kremer that he knows his style can wear on people.

"It must be true, yeah," Harbaugh said. "Sometimes I'd wear out my welcome."

"What does that mean you wear out your welcome?" Kremer asked.

"They just don't want to be around you after a while," Harbaugh replied.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Ok, now I’m ready for him. I wasn’t before, but we cannot allow this Chargering to continue. An organizational change is needed.

Give up the first rounder and pay the man market rate. We’re too close to being great to allow poor coaching to continue cost us games.

And let him pick his GM. Our drafts can’t get any worse..

Again, bring a winner into the organization.
              I agree..... Staley is not a great coach ands needs to go.....
              and TT is a horrible GM...... he has been here over a decade and only hits on first round picks that everyone would have taken at those spots such as Bosa, Herbert, James, Johnson, and Slater....
              He has very rarely hit on anyone after the first round.......

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

We're picking 20ish. That's a high 2nd round level draft pick. There aren't 20 first round quality picks in this draft. You're talking about a solid but not game changer type player. Give it up for a difference making coach.
                true

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Really?

From his own mouth:
                  Randy Moss wore out his welcome in Minnesota (twice), Oakland, and New England. He's not exactly the guy who should judge.

Alex Boone sounds the same way Michael Strahan did when Tom Coughlin fined him for showing up on time to a meeting instead of five minutes early. "Oh, he's making me work too hard." Please.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Really?

From his own mouth:
                    Well, that's insightful. I wasn't aware Boone came out to clarify his defense of Harbaugh. That said, all the more reason for me to love him as a hire if not for just a 5-6 year transitional period. It's not likely that any veteran coach will stay here beyond that period regardless if going by history -- you still need a young HC-in-waiting that could be groomed to take over.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Randy Moss wore out his welcome in Minnesota (twice), Oakland, and New England. He's not exactly the guy who should judge.

Alex Boone sounds the same way Michael Strahan did when Tom Coughlin fined him for showing up on time to a meeting instead of five minutes early. "Oh, he's making me work too hard." Please.
                      Good points as well. Crabtree, Smith, Bowman and others on that team didn't speak of Harbaugh in that way, or at least never clarified their initial post-Harbaugh view on his tenure there. In either case, friction would be a welcome sight in this organization just to set fire to everyone's asses and get rid of the complacency.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

You conveniently ignored Harbaugh’s comments about himself…

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Really?

From his own mouth:
                          I don't think you'll find a head coach who won't have a player or two whine about him. Patrick Willis didn't seem to have a problem with Harbaugh.

Comment

Working...
                          X