• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

Small market, less money to spend...And all pro leagues show favoritism to teams with large fan bases.
    can’t really use the $$ argument. Pads spent like drunken sailors.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

To be fair, I dont think Tbilly was cut because of his talent or performance...pretty sure it was about character and attitude...there was room for him or Guyton...I just think they liked Guyton better as a Charger. I think the article was a fair assessment, but sure....we dont know exactly how the coaches feel about certain players...we can only speculate about what we actually see...and I dont see any harm in getting a little excited about players who are really balling in camp...what's the alternative? Go back to the boring or inane conversations that plagued this board thru the summer? I would rather discuss and speculate on potential gems emerging from camp, than cast about for a dead horse to beat...
      This is true. But my point is that fans don't always know the whole story of what is truly going on at training camp. Players talk each other up. Coaches talk up players. We see somebody lighting it up at camp and suddenly expect big things from them. But they disappear during the regular season or they get cut. There are players who are practice warriors in a friendly team environment going up against their buds, but when they get into a game against unfriendly competition they shrink. Hightower might be that type of player. I believe they chose Guyton over TBilly because TBilly didn't want to play special teams. Staley alluded to that when they cut him. Plus he was a bit of a head case diva. Meanwhile Guyton has made himself into a special teams ace. Nowhere have I said fans shouldn't take notice of who is and who is not doing well in TC. I'm just cautioning against getting too excited about any particular player who is 1. a UDFA or 2. who has been on an NFL roster but underperformed.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I believe they chose Guyton over TBilly because TBilly didn't want to play special teams. Staley alluded to that when they cut him. Plus he was a bit of a head case diva.
        There was one preseason game I remember, when T-Billy was on the sideline, jawing at either an opposing player or a ref. When yer on the bubble, playing for a spot on the final 53, not a good idea to be trash talking, with the HC nearby. They DO notice things like that.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There was one preseason game I remember, when T-Billy was on the sideline, jawing at either an opposing player or a ref. When yer on the bubble, playing for a spot on the final 53, not a good idea to be trash talking, with the HC nearby. They DO notice things like that.
          Charger brass has been very professional about not disclosing whatever TBilly's issue(s) were. but he's ran out his welcome at an impressive list of teams that all end up with the same conclusion, it doesn't appear to be a "Charger" thing to me.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Charger brass has been very professional about not disclosing whatever TBilly's issue(s) were. but he's ran out his welcome at an impressive list of teams that all end up with the same conclusion, it doesn't appear to be a "Charger" thing to me.
            Agree...and that's the classy and prudent thing to do...whether on a pro sports team or in the corporate world, NEVER a good idea for EITHER side to disclose details about personnel issues...I was a union rep at my job for many years, and these things are ALWAYS handled behind closed doors...otherwise, a whole lot of damage to a person's reputation could be done...one more point--if either side makes spoken remarks that can be proven in a court of law to be false and cause damage to a person's reputation, they could be sued for slander...if the damaging remarks are in written form (even a tweet), they could be sued for libel...that's especially why I'm SMH when either management or a player discloses details or makes critical comments about the other side in ongoing contract negotiations or regarding personnel issues...
            Last edited by Topcat; 08-09-2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• colorado
              Fan since '62
              • Jun 2023
              • Desert Rat
              • Nothing but time on my hands
              • Send PM

On the NFL Channel inside training camps, they're showing Chargers training camp today. Today's the last day of inside training camp. They'll be bouncing around.

they'll be interviewing KA and Staley plus showing some camp. It's today, they just showed some...
              Last edited by colorado; 08-09-2023, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Unofficial depth chart ... some interesting bits; *you may find others*

Hopkins PK1
                ASJ -OR- Ja'Sir CB3
                Matlock IDL4
                Hightower WR4
                Shepherd WR3 (due to PR2/KR2)
                Bailey RT2 (I read we signed a new OT today)
                McFadden LG2

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I have spent this summer in the exercise of developing broader, general knowledge. The Jags debacle will do that to a Charger fan. Stepping back and looking at it all in a sober manner can only make us wiser.

The implication is that it is all mystical or entertaining. What is called "chargering" is really "underachieving." It is often accompanied by aspects foolish and self inflicted. It is unacceptable.

I see the beginning of "chargering" as occuring in 1962, when Sid Gillman, for all his football genius, foolishly committed a front office contractual snafu. Jack Kemp became a Buffalo Bill and beat the Chargers to win the AFL title.

Staley must have diligent, relentless attention to detail. This is the only way to end the misery.

wisdom of wu
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Chargering is not a charger thing, the chargers don't have that market locked up, it's just that it rolls off the tongue better than bengaleering or vikaneering, how many super bowls have the bengals and vikings lost? what about the patriots and the broncos before they finally won their first titles? The bills fit that category too and up until recently the eagles were in that same boat as well. the chiefs and the jets both won titles in the 1960s but up until recently neither club had done anything in almost 50 years. The browns had to move to Baltimore to get a Super Bowl, the list goes on and on...the thing that burns me a little is that my chargers are the only team in the AFC west without a Super Bowl win, and the other three teams have three each, so that really sucks...you can't just be any chump off the street to be a charger fan, you have to heart and faith that many of these fans of other franchises don't need. Shit, I remember when the 49ers were a joke, what about the patriots? What people describe as chargering is a combination of a great many things, from bad luck to out and out NFL bias towards small market teams. Year in year out the chargers travel more than any other team in the country, why? and nobody talks about it, the league offices could give a shit about the chargers, even when they have had super star rosters and popular players other teams take priority...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      I have spent this summer in the exercise of developing broader, general knowledge. The Jags debacle will do that to a Charger fan. Stepping back and looking at it all in a sober manner can only make us wiser.

The implication is that it is all mystical or entertaining. What is called "chargering" is really "underachieving." It is often accompanied by aspects foolish and self inflicted. It is unacceptable.

I see the beginning of "chargering" as occuring in 1962, when Sid Gillman, for all his football genius, foolishly committed a front office contractual snafu. Jack Kemp became a Buffalo Bill and beat the Chargers to win the AFL title.

Staley must have diligent, relentless attention to detail. This is the only way to end the misery.

wisdom of wu
                      But Sid won the championship in 1963

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2022
                        • Send PM

@wu-dia clan, indeed “Chargering” is a real experience. It continues integral to the culture more so a behavioral inertia. For it to change, as a minimum:
                        1. Change the View – See a Winning, including a SB Experience, Landscape – this must be built into all communications for all to literally see and embrace via habits.
                        2. Change the Decision Making – In functionally defined and activity led terms, the mindset for all must be led as in all interactions aligning with the activities associated with the functions of winning, winning the 2nd season repeatedly.
                        3. Change the Talent – Most important to get new people in leadership and performance roles with the exponential winning mindset and able to champion the above 2 along with showing others how to embrace.

Kellen Moore the best career empowering decision of Staley/Telesco as they Unleash Hell in Herbert. Herbert being the catalyst as his leadership via his actions (sure some emotionally powered words) is how team performance on the field resulting in closing out games with a W. Focus forward put that playoff loss in the rear view mirror. And as Moore states, “Let er rip”!

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                          Day One...
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Brentwood, 94513
                          • Send PM

Yes the Chargers don’t own the market on losing winnable games. But it’s been the years of the Chargers being the dark horse pick, the team on the verge, the team with the most talented roster. So when a thing goes viral, it’s something you have to accept. The only way it will change, is when we win those games we were going to win, when we are on the positive side of one score games. Winning solves everything.

Comment

Working...
                          X