• Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

If I had to establish draft priority now it would look like this;
    1) Interior DL
    2) Pass rusher
    3) ILB
    4) TE / WR (tie)
    5) Oline

All predicated on who is available at our selection (of course).

Team priority FA's;
    Tranquill
    Pipkins
    Callahan
    Fox

Blast away . . . . . .

Can't argue with the obvious needs in running game, speed at WR and pass rush but disagree with the order of priorities.

1) IDL, we've got Day, should resign Fox, got Austin Johnson and Tito coming back. Fehoko keeps developing. This isn't a pressing need on my board.

2) Pass rusher, you can never have enough but we have so much wrapped up in Bosa and Mack now its ridiculous given their combined production. But we do need help. I'd push it down to 3

3) ILB, I've been screaming for this and am always told Staley doesn't value the position. He's wrong. I'd keep this around where u have it with pass rusher.

4) TE/WR I am moving up to 1 or 2 on priority list.

5) OL, we've gone #1 in 2 consecutive drafts, have Linsley and need to resign Pip. More than anything we need a better OL coach. This unit is dependent more than any on coaching. It's not a skill position. Get the next Dante Scar and we could draft late rounders all day and have success.

6) RB, I don't see what you see on the roster. Ek is a third down back, not a bell cow. He should be Ronnie Harmon on our team. Spiller couldn't hit the field, Rountree is a body and Kelley, as much as I like his personality, has never had the talent to be the guy. I saw him at UCLA. Give him a big hole and he'll get through it but a premiere guy has to make a man miss. He doesn't have that. We need a weapon here/ I'd put this 1 or 2.

It's time go skill players on offense.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

By the end of 23, in typical Charger fashion, they'll have managed to burn up (waste) most of Herbert's best value years with 1 year of Lynn and 3 years of Staley.

If I had to establish draft priority now it would look like this;
      1) Interior DL
      2) Pass rusher
      3) ILB
      4) TE / WR (tie)
      5) Oline
      I like your draft priority. in regards to Herbert, 2023 is the season to run the table. Herbert is now ready.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Can't argue with the obvious needs in running game, speed at WR and pass rush but disagree with the order of priorities.

1) IDL, we've got Day, should resign Fox, got Austin Johnson and Tito coming back. Fehoko keeps developing. This isn't a pressing need on my board.

2) Pass rusher, you can never have enough but we have so much wrapped up in Bosa and Mack now its ridiculous given their combined production. But we do need help. I'd push it down to 3

3) ILB, I've been screaming for this and am always told Staley doesn't value the position. He's wrong. I'd keep this around where u have it with pass rusher.

5) OL, we've gone #1 in 2 consecutive drafts, have Linsley and need to resign Pip. More than anything we need a better OL coach. This unit is dependent more than any on coaching. It's not a skill position. Get the next Dante Scar and we could draft late rounders all day and have success.

6) RB, I don't see what you see on the roster. Ek is a third down back, not a bell cow. He should be Ronnie Harmon on our team. Spiller couldn't hit the field, Rountree is a body and Kelley, as much as I like his personality, has never had the talent to be the guy. I saw him at UCLA. Give him a big hole and he'll get through it but a premiere guy has to make a man miss. He doesn't have that. We need a weapon here/ I'd put this 1 or 2.

I disagree. The ball positions haven't been a problem with this organization. This franchise is good at finding players at skill positions, and they're not hard to fill.

The RB group has flaws, but I'd stay put with them. In case there is injury to any of the three they can bring someone in to fill the void or hold down the fort, just don't bring in someone who will be like Sony Michel.

Pass rush and IDL are very big needs. Even with SJD and AJ the team still struggled. Besides Morgan Fox, this needs another pass rusher on the interior. And the team might lose Fox. The other pass rusher the team has is OO. Otito is going to take time to develop. Bosa and Mack will get tired from stopping the run, and that might take them out of a pass rushing situation, so they need the guys behind them. Backups at edge was something people were concerned about prior to the 2022 season.

Need to do something at linebacker. Especially for run defense. Need a run stuffer like Denzel Perryman back in the days. Kenneth Murray is not the answer and someone better should take his place. Dru Tranquill, what the team does with him is up in the air.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

We have $58M tied up in cap space for our 2 pass rushers in 2023. Another $21M for an aging but still effective WR. Mr. Telesco has
          some work to do.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

All good points - lots of ways to skin this cat. See below for my comments / OPINIONS;

1) IDL - The Dline in 22 wasn't good at controlling the LOS, which makes our issues at ILB worse. I don't think we can stand pat with this group in 23, they need more talent (and to stay healthy). I see a talent influx here helping all 3 levels of the defense, so - good value in an early draft pick investment. We've got good players currently, but we don't have a dominant guy.

2) Pass rusher - Agreed that B/M aren't going anywhere in 23 (note to TT; bite the bullet - don't extend Basa's contract to generate cap space). Bosa has missed a LOT of games so far in his career + he's going to experience the referee backlash from his recent hissy fit next season so his production will dip (if he's even on the field). We need a reload. DO you want to go into next year with an aging Mack, an unproven Rumph, and whatever we get from Bosa (assuming we will probably lose Van Noy in FA)? Unless we draft the 2nd coming of Reggie White at IDL opposing QB's will feast. Normally I'd say that it's on the coach to work around personnel issue with a single group, but I have very little confidence that Staley will be able to scheme his way around this issue.

3) It's easier to pick up a good ILB later in the draft than a good pass rusher - that's my rational for the priority order here.

4) TE is definitely a high priority and most likely a 1 or 2, but I'm hoping that we can get what we need at WR later in the draft (and Guyton returns at full health). We only need the speed WR's to do a few things, but do them well. A 'one trick' pony type should be available in the later rounds.

5) I'm a believer in good coaching making a difference, but I'm not qualified to evaluate our current Oline coach. If our top 5 guys stay healthy they're as good as anyone. We need better depth. If a coaching upgrade is available I'd be all for it.

6) Maybe I'm all blue sky on the RB's, but I have hopes for Spiller and Horvath. If they can be productive (not superstars) we'll be OK with Eck, Spiller, Kelley, Horvath. Good comp on Eck and Ronnie Harmon! I loved it when he got isolated on LB's on swing passes . . . so much fun to watch.

I'm looking at this draft as a defense heavy draft, UNLESS we lose Pipkins to FA - that would change the balance IMO. We have lots of needs - who we select will be dictated by availability as much as team need. If a killer WR drops to us I wouldn't have issues using a 1st on him - we'll have to see how the board plays out. Very interesting draft this year for us.

I don't see us as FA players much this offseason - mid level guys at best. They shot their wad last year . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
              We have $58M tied up in cap space for our 2 pass rushers in 2023. Another $21M for an aging but still effective WR. Mr. Telesco has
              some work to do.
              Yes - somewhat handicapping us in FA, unless they want to start robbing Peter to pay Paul, although if they're going to go that route the next couple of years (before JH's cap hit skyrockets) would be the time to do it.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

some work to do.
                36% of our 2023 budget....sounds about right for 3 players....

:wtf:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

I like your draft priority. in regards to Herbert, 2023 is the season to run the table. Herbert is now ready.
                  Herbert has indeed been tempered in the fires of NFL hell . . . . errr - Charger football. Now if he can just manage to overcome his own coaching staff . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Cincy just crushed Buffalo with an entire Oline of JAG's . . . . If you have elite talent at a few positions (QB, WR, CB, DE) you CAN be successful.
                    Cincy’s pocket passer just crushed the Bill’s RPO superman too. Discard all theories that a QB must run to win. Even Mahome doesn’t run that much, his magic is primarily evading behind the LOS like a squirrel and then chucking the ball backwards underhanded no-look.

Elite skill players differentiate, keep repeating this until the trenchers relent on their obsessive quest for more OL players. We have OL players, just sign the one that’s a FA with Feiler’s cap savings and get a Day3 C/G to groom.

Rd 1, 2, 3 … Skill and Speed. WR, RB, TE, Edge … Skill and Speed. Speed and Skill. Rinse and Repeat.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Yes - somewhat handicapping us in FA, unless they want to start robbing Peter to pay Paul, although if they're going to go that route the next couple of years (before JH's cap hit skyrockets) would be the time to do it.
                      Exactly why I bring it up. We are not going to solve all the personnel issues through the draft in1 year. Seeing all this analysis makes me wonder if we just
                      keep Herbert and start all over again. And do we trust Telesco and Staley to rebuild the team?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Exactly why I bring it up. We are not going to solve all the personnel issues through the draft in1 year. Seeing all this analysis makes me wonder if we just
                        keep Herbert and start all over again. And do we trust Telesco and Staley to rebuild the team?
                        That would be . . . .NO.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Cincy’s pocket passer just crushed the Bill’s RPO superman too. Discard all theories that a QB must run to win. Even Mahome doesn’t run that much, his magic is primarily evading behind the LOS like a squirrel and then chucking the ball backwards underhanded no-look.

Elite skill players differentiate, keep repeating this until the trenchers relent on their obsessive quest for more OL players. We have OL players, just sign the one that’s a FA with Feiler’s cap savings and get a Day3 C/G to groom.

Rd 1, 2, 3 … Skill and Speed. WR, RB, TE, Edge … Skill and Speed. Speed and Skill. Rinse and Repeat.
                          Balance - there's got to be balance. Elite skill players can't do much when they're on their backs . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X