• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

Also, Sd drafted Eli
      Eli was a 2x time Super Bowl MVP but he was never named All Pro. Also I had forgotten that Lance Alworth was actually drafted by the Raiders, who then traded his rights to the Chargers, who battled the 49ers to sign him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think the bigger issue than the rib cartlige (which was never going to heal during the season) was the week 16 left shoulder injury that turned out to be more serious than we thought.
        forget about the folly playing Williams and Allen in week 17, what about playing HERBERT with a fresh shoulder injury, thats straight dumb, I expected better from Staley.
        I defend staley in just about every other circumstance, but common, you have to be as wise as you are smart.
        Herbert represents limitless ability, he will execute any and everything he is coached to do.
        Daboll working miracles with Jones
        Pederson with Lawrence ....

I'll keep it positive, Staley has much to prove and if he is wise enough, he wont repeat the few costly mistakes.
        I agree about the last RS game, we've hashed that a lot. Lots of coaches play their players, he's not a unicorn here.

The Daboll legend of lore hype bores me. The Giants imploded down the stretch - losing 5 of last 7 by my count with only 1 win and a kiss-your-sister tie. He did manage Jones by having him do as little as possible. I don't blame him for that, Jones is mediocre, but lets not make the fable into Daboll turned the #15 QB (yards) / #21 QB (TDs) into Johnny Fucking U. He's still Jones.

Lawrence has HOF-level talent. Pederson did a great job with that team but Herbie had 600 more yards that Tlaw, otherwise they basically had the same stats, where's the deafening applause for Staley here?

The better question for Daboll is did he jump on the desk and scream NOOOOOOOOOOO when they just give Jones $40M/year for 4 years?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree about the last RS game, we've hashed that a lot. Lots of coaches play their players, he's not a unicorn here.

The Daboll legend of lore hype bores me. The Giants imploded down the stretch - losing 5 of last 7 by my count with only 1 win and a kiss-your-sister tie. He did manage Jones by having him do as little as possible. I don't blame him for that, Jones is mediocre, but lets not make the fable into Daboll turned the #15 QB (yards) / #21 QB (TDs) into Johnny Fucking U. He's still Jones.

Lawrence has HOF-level talent. Pederson did a great job with that team but Herbie had 600 more yards that Tlaw, otherwise they basically had the same stats, where's the deafening applause for Staley here?

The better question for Daboll is did he jump on the desk and scream NOOOOOOOOOOO when they just give Jones $40M/year for 4 years?
          Point is, Daboll did a great job his first year with not a great roster, he deserves credit and it's valid to wonder where we would be with him since he was available and rumored among the front runners for our HCing gig.
          Pederson can have Justin's equal for all I care, fact is his coaching was a big factor in his team beating ours. Idk if we could have had him because he took that year off iirc. But this was his first year with the jags.
          conversely, staley, while I agree, I don't want to bear a dead horse, he factually played many guys and in many people's opinion, much longer than they should have been. In hindsight, Herbert was the biggest risk by playing 4 quarters with 2 (count em) two injuries.
          Let's just call a mistake a mistake and admit our team is made up of humans who make mistakes and that's okay to judge.

I want staley to succeed as much as anyone, but it's not going to help to pretend he's flawless. I hope Moore puts pressure on him. Do better Brandon.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

I think the bigger issue than the rib cartlige (which was never going to heal during the season) was the week 16 left shoulder injury that turned out to be more serious than we thought.
            forget about the folly playing Williams and Allen in week 17, what about playing HERBERT with a fresh shoulder injury, thats straight dumb, I expected better from Staley.
            I defend staley in just about every other circumstance, but common, you have to be as wise as you are smart.
            Herbert represents limitless ability, he will execute any and everything he is coached to do.
            Daboll working miracles with Jones
            Pederson with Lawrence ....

I'll keep it positive, Staley has much to prove and if he is wise enough, he wont repeat the few costly mistakes.
            Week 3 against Jacksonville was the bigger deal to me. Ten days after Herbert suffers the rib injury against Kansas City, Staley has his beaten-up quarterback playing late in the fourth quarter during a blowout loss. I had been defending Staley before then. That was truly the first time I began to question if he should be the head coach.

Hopefully he's learned and grown from last season's mistakes.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Come on - how many of you hindsight coaches would have been happy if Staley had said I'm sitting JH today because he has an injury to his left shoulder?
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

With all due respect Roo, to hell with happy fans, do what's right for the team.
                if you feel playing them is best for the team, play them, but 4 quarters?
                Maybe a quarter? Quarter and a half?

I saw Allen out there AFTER Williams got hurt.

How is that possibly best for the team?

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Week 3 against Jacksonville was the bigger deal to me. Ten days after Herbert suffers the rib injury against Kansas City, Staley has his beaten-up quarterback playing late in the fourth quarter during a blowout loss. I had been defending Staley before then. That was truly the first time I began to question if he should be the head coach.

Hopefully he's learned and grown from last season's mistakes.
                  Ya I trusted the decision fully pregame when it was announced Herbert was starting. I vividly remember going to the Padres game while hearing that.
                  after the game, it was pretty obvious we were over our skies.
                  My confidence wavered a lot that day too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Point is, Daboll did a great job his first year with not a great roster, he deserves credit and it's valid to wonder where we would be with him since he was available and rumored among the front runners for our HCing gig.
                    Pederson can have Justin's equal for all I care, fact is his coaching was a big factor in his team beating ours. Idk if we could have had him because he took that year off iirc. But this was his first year with the jags.
                    conversely, staley, while I agree, I don't want to bear a dead horse, he factually played many guys and in many people's opinion, much longer than they should have been. In hindsight, Herbert was the biggest risk by playing 4 quarters with 2 (count em) two injuries.
                    Let's just call a mistake a mistake and admit our team is made up of humans who make mistakes and that's okay to judge.

I want staley to succeed as much as anyone, but it's not going to help to pretend he's flawless. I hope Moore puts pressure on him. Do better Brandon.
                    we'd have been at 9-7-1 in 2022? because thats what he was.

Pederson is a good coach. He didn't make Tlaw a better QB than Herbert. you brought up what he did with Tlaw - the Chargers got arguably more with an injured Herbert than he got with a healthy Tlaw.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

we'd have been at 9-7-1 in 2022? because thats what he was.

Pederson is a good coach. He didn't make Tlaw a better QB than Herbert. you brought up what he did with Tlaw - the Chargers got arguably more with an injured Herbert than he got with a healthy Tlaw.
                      Pederson smoked Staley when it mattered most . . . . . . . . get better Brandon - quickly

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Pederson smoked Staley when it mattered most . . . . . . . . get better Brandon - quickly
                        Jags beat Chargers in the playoffs. Fact.
                        The Chargers need to improve on that performance, preferably no later than Sep 10, 2023.
                        Last edited by sonorajim; 05-27-2023, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Jags beat Chargers 33-28 in the playoffs. Fact.
                          The Chargers need to improve on that performance, preferably no later than Sep 10, 2023.
                          Yep . . . . . . . and they better start fast. Staley need to have the guys ready to go . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X