• Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'd still take him back if he's come to his senses and signs a reasonable extension for two years. With a reasonable oline his skill set is still above most players in the NFL. I'm just not going to break the bank for him either.
    Austin would be an ideal 3rd down back for us....if only we had a 1st and 2nd down RB to go with him.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Need this guy back and the DC to get him back there. You know, they guy someone said has never made any game changing plays.

He hasn't - not in the last couple of years. I never said that he never did though . . . . . . . . . . Staley didn't do him any favors either - IMO Derwin was asked to cover up a multitude of sins on the defensive side of the ball, similar to how Herbert was required to mask the failures on the offensive side.

Ultimately this philosophy is unsustainable. No-one can be all world enough to carry an entire team for long. IMO this is a significant factor in both Herbert and James's decline - at some point the pressure gets to be too much. Look no further than Patrick Mahomes for validation. KC's offense (and Mahomes) are not nearly what they've been in the past, due mainly to the fact that their receivers (outside of Kelce) are not very good.

There's simply a limit to how much 'bad' a really good player can mask, and for how long, particularly if poor coaching is thrown into the mix. Football's called the ultimate team sport for a reason . . . . . . . . . and the 'team' includes the coaching staff and GM.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

I'd still take him back if he's come to his senses and signs a reasonable extension for two years. With a reasonable oline his skill set is still above most players in the NFL. I'm just not going to break the bank for him either.
        Not me . . . . . . . . . . Austin was never an outstanding RUNNER. He was an good all around back who had a nose for the end zone and was an excellent receiving threat . . . . . . . . a poor mans Christian McCafferty if you will. But not anymore. We need to move on - turn the page on our older, injury prone and entitled veterans . . . . . . . . . we need younger, hungrier, cheaper, and more durable players at many positions.

We also MUST GET a Sean Payton type coach who will not accept mediocrity and poor play from anyone, damn the contract, damn the draft position . . . . . . .

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

He hasn't - not in the last couple of years. I never said that he never did though . . . . . . . . . . Staley didn't do him any favors either - IMO Derwin was asked to cover up a multitude of sins on the defensive side of the ball, similar to how Herbert was required to mask the failures on the offensive side.

Ultimately this philosophy is unsustainable. No-one can be all world enough to carry an entire team for long. IMO this is a significant factor in both Herbert and James's decline - at some point the pressure gets to be too much. Look no further than Patrick Mahomes for validation. KC's offense (and Mahomes) are not nearly what they've been in the past, due mainly to the fact that their receivers (outside of Kelce) are not very good.

There's simply a limit to how much 'bad' a really good player can mask, and for how long, particularly if poor coaching is thrown into the mix. Football's called the ultimate team sport for a reason . . . . . . . . . and the 'team' includes the coaching staff and GM.
          Key word is EVER! And it wasnt you.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Austin would be an ideal 3rd down back for us....if only we had a 1st and 2nd down RB to go with him.
            Actually . . . . . . . . I agree with this!! As long as his contract was equal to his contributions . . . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Not me . . . . . . . . . . Austin was never an outstanding RUNNER. He was an good all around back who had a nose for the end zone and was an excellent receiving threat . . . . . . . . a poor mans Christian McCafferty if you will. But not anymore. We need to move on - turn the page on our older, injury prone and entitled veterans . . . . . . . . . we need younger, hungrier, cheaper, and more durable players at many positions.

We also MUST GET a Sean Payton type coach who will not accept mediocrity and poor play from anyone, damn the contract, damn the draft position . . . . . . .
              Not a good year to move on unless there is a free agent you like. I'm open to suggestions...
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Not a good year to move on unless there is a free agent you like. I'm open to suggestions...
                I'm not the guy to know who's good (and who's not), nor am I a draft guy - don't have the time. There are always gems out there though - we just need to be good enough (or lucky enough) to find them . . . . . . Que the new GM . . . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

For anybody wondering if C.J. Okoye was still in the building...

Chargers' international player from Nigeria is having the ride of his life (msn.com)
                  Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 12-29-2023, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

Odds for NFL defensive rookie of the year from FOX sports: two of the 10 play against Denver this week.
                    -10000 Cardinals (Sunday, December 31)
                    +3000 Titans (Sunday, December 31)
                    +3000 Steelers (Sunday, December 31)
                    +5000 Bills (Sunday, December 31)
                    +8000 Buccaneers (Sunday, December 31)
                    +15000 Cardinals (Sunday, December 31)
                    +15000 Broncos (Sunday, December 31)
                    +15000 Broncos (Sunday, December 31)
                    +15000 Saints (Sunday, December 31)
                    +15000 Falcons (Sunday, December 31)

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Actually . . . . . . . . I agree with this!! As long as his contract was equal to his contributions . . . . . . . .
                      I'm afraid Ekkie got a bit prideful earlier this season...all the talk about RB's being underpaid...let the market decide...he may already be on the decline anyways, so now we let him go and we might get a 5th round comp pick for him...I don't think he's going to get near the bucks he thinks he's worth in FA...IMHO he's suffering from the Moaning Mel Syndrome...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Touche! Well played

As for Ekeler - I think it will be time to part company with him and he should leave the Chargers. First, he is going to cost probably in the 4-5m AAV range and there will be positions the Chargers need to spend closer to $2 this coming year. Second, they truly need a number 1 RB. Kelley, not sure he is it. SPiller, probably not. Ekeler is a fine 3rd down back but the Chargers need a 1st and 2nd down back and for 3rd down, find a veteran for cheap

I am fine if the entire RB is turned upside down and they bring in some speed as well.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm afraid Ekkie got a bit prideful earlier this season...all the talk about RB's being underpaid...let the market decide...he may already be on the decline anyways, so now we let him go and we might get a 5th round comp pick for him...I don't think he's going to get near the bucks he thinks he's worth in FA...IMHO he's suffering from the Moaning Mel Syndrome...
                          Not ANYWHERE near the $$$'s he thinks he's worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . he looks like a horses ass right now

Comment

Working...
                          X