• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
    The schedule the AFC west plays this year is probably the toughest I've ever seen. Look at this schedule

Chargers Home Opponents:

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders

AFC East: Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins

NFC North: Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys

AFC North: Baltimore Ravens

Chargers Road Opponents:

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders

AFC East: New England Patriots and New York Jets

NFC North: Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings

AFC South: Tennessee Titans

That's a brutal schedule, hoss. One could go 8-9 with that schedule and still be a pretty good football team.

It will take a big improvement over last years team to finish 9-8.

Agreed . . . . . . the schedule looks brutal on paper - this is the karmic reaction to our soft schedule last year. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in reality.

It also matters (a great deal) what time of year we play the cold weather away games - New England, Jets, Green Bay, Tenn, Denver & KC (took the Vikings out as they play indoors). Since we're going to be a passing team playing in cold windy conditions is going to seriously hamper our offense, which will seriously hamper our chances of winning.

ATM I see 2 games which MIGHT be 'easier'; Chicago and GB. Everything else looks tough as hell . . . . . . . . The red are last years playoff teams (7), green are ascending (5), plus NE on the road and LV (division opponent). Considering we didn't beat a single single playoff team OR a team that FINISHED with a winning record in 2022, even with significantly better health this year it's going to be tough.

If Staley can win 10 or more games with this schedule that would be an achievement, and prove that he actually is a quality NFL HC . . . . . . . . but he better get his guys squared away early . . . . . or 2023 could go south on him real quick . . . . . .

EDIT - we did beat Miami, so one win against a playoff bound team last year . . . . .
    Last edited by Lefty2SLO; 05-01-2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chiefs play 14 of the same teams as do the Broncos and Raiders. I get injuries may happen. But there is time to get some depth at S, TE and Edge to be sure
      11+ wins that my prediction - because if Moore can improve the offense just a little, that could be huge points.
      The competition will not come from our division, although we likely lose 2 or more game within our division. The AFC East is loaded. Any one of the four
      can make the PO, including NE who looks to be the weakest, but we have not been able to beat them since forever it seems. The AFC North is also
      troublesome. Cincy and Baltimore in particular. But you know Pitt is never far behind. That's the competition plus of course KC.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This is the problem with Chargers organization. We cannot project anything because we don't know things based on injuries during the season. What really matters is HOW we react to problems as they crop up. We didn't do so well last year so that's what really counts.
        True, for the most part. Last year's injuries were extremely unusual in record quantity and depth was inadequate.
        This year almost certainly will be better re fewer injuries and depth is improved at WR, OL, Edge, DL & LB.
        There are changes on the coaching staff.
        So? We'll see

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agreed . . . . . . the schedule looks brutal on paper - this is the karmic reaction to our soft schedule last year. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in reality.

It also matters (a great deal) what time of year we play the cold weather away games - New England, Jets, Green Bay, Tenn, Denver & KC (took the Vikings out as they play indoors). Since we're going to be a passing team playing in cold windy conditions is going to seriously hamper our offense, which will seriously hamper our chances of winning.

ATM I see 2 games which MIGHT be 'easier'; Chicago and GB. Everything else looks tough as hell . . . . . . . . The red are last years playoff teams (7), green are ascending (5), plus NE on the road and LV (division opponent). Considering we didn't beat a single single playoff team OR a team that FINISHED with a winning record in 2022, even with significantly better health this year it's going to be tough.

If Staley can win 10 or more games with this schedule that would be an achievement, and prove that he actually is a quality NFL HC . . . . . . . . but he better get his guys squared away early . . . . . or 2023 could go south on him real quick . . . . . .
          Exactly - soft schedule last year, on paper. And towards the end the collapses by TN, Miami, even the RAms were fading there when the Chargers played them

But no excuses. I don't care about the schedule. Chargers need to figure out how to win games. There are zero excuses - except JH10 getting hurt - for Telesco and Staley. They made the decision to bring back a lot of the same players. Even guys like Parham, Clapp and Guyton. Granted no assurances they make the roster but probably two of those three do.

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Exactly - soft schedule last year, on paper. And towards the end the collapses by TN, Miami, even the RAms were fading there when the Chargers played them

But no excuses. I don't care about the schedule. Chargers need to figure out how to win games. There are zero excuses - except JH10 getting hurt - for Telesco and Staley. They made the decision to bring back a lot of the same players. Even guys like Parham, Clapp and Guyton. Granted no assurances they make the roster but probably two of those three do.
            If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Playoffs and at least 1 win saves this staff and players jobs, otherwise it's time to give another HC and GM a chance!

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If we stay healthy, we’re gonna shock a lot of people, and win a lot of games no matter who we’re playing.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Funny thing was, there was talk about how hard last year's schedule was going to be before the season started.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Funny thing was, there was talk about how hard last year's schedule was going to be before the season started.
                  Based on Denver and LV. Both flopped and we still lost 4 games within our division. In our conference we played the weakest
                  division. NFC West: LAR flopped, Still lost to Seattle. Other two games were Cleveland, another flop and Atlanta. Turned out to
                  be a weak schedule.

This year looks much tougher but it's always just a guess at this point in time.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Agreed . . . . . . as you note the only injury I'll give TT and Staley a pass for would be if JH suffers a significant injury. Without him and with this schedule we'd be lucky to win 4 games. TT and Staley made the decision to 'run it back' . . . .

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Sorry but I think the schedule matters. 11- 6 is certainly possible, so is 8-9 or 9-8. It's going to depend on injuries, both ours and the other teams and a host of other
                      factors.

Charger weak points at the moment appear to be @ safety, question marks at RB, TE and LB. Still some backup issues possible at O line, D line and CB as well.
                      Certainly not a perfect team, but there is no such thing. So we just have to see what gives once the season starts.

In my opinion it's going to be a dog fight just to make the POs. Once in anything is possible.
                      Safety maybe depending on Woods improvement. CB maybe,....perhaps we get Callahan again..

I don't see a issue at RB with Ekeker staying. I'm thinking Spiller is gonna be a lot better.

LB I think we are good now.

DL I think we are good but would be nice to get AJ back.

Depth seems to be the only problems and we addressed some of it. Still have OC that hadn't changed.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The competition will not come from our division, although we likely lose 2 or more game within our division. The AFC East is loaded. Any one of the four
                        can make the PO, including NE who looks to be the weakest, but we have not been able to beat them since forever it seems. The AFC North is also
                        troublesome. Cincy and Baltimore in particular. But you know Pitt is never far behind. That's the competition plus of course KC.
                        Pray we don't play New England late in the season . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Safety maybe depending on Woods improvement. CB maybe,....perhaps we get Callahan again..

I don't see a issue at RB with Ekeker staying. I'm thinking Spiller is gonna be a lot better.

LB I think we are good now.

DL I think we are good but would be nice to get AJ back.

Depth seems to be the only problems and we addressed some of it. Still have OC that hadn't changed.
                          We also have a built in weakness in that we're not a running football team AND we don't have a strong defense, so it's going to be challenging to beat cold weather teams in their home stadiums . . . . . . no matter what the talent disparity might be . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X