• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I think people tend to overthink the play calls. Doesn't matter what the call, it matters how you execute it. I get tendencies and how that can help the other team counter what you do but in the end - if an offense executes a play correctly, it's hard to stop. I remember reading a comment from our old RB coach Clarence Shelmon about how we ran the same 40-Power play 21 times in a row against the Raiders. They knew exactly what we were going to do and couldn't stop it. Yes, having a RB like LT and a great oline make than possible, but that is kind of my point - if you run a play you do best, it's hard to stop.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I think people tend to overthink the play calls. Doesn't matter what the call, it matters how you execute it. I get tendencies and how that can help the other team counter what you do but in the end - if an offense executes a play correctly, it's hard to stop. I remember reading a comment from our old RB coach Clarence Shelmon about how we ran the same 40-Power play 21 times in a row against the Raiders. They knew exactly what we were going to do and couldn't stop it. Yes, having a RB like LT and a great oline make than possible, but that is kind of my point - if you run a play you do best, it's hard to stop.
      Exactly!

If you can score a TD 75% of the time when running the ball inside the 5-yard line... Do it!
      If you can't score it the other 25% of the time... try it again! You have another 75% chance to score a TD? It's simple Math.
      By the time you've run your 3rd straight running play inside the 5-yard line... your mathematical chance of scoring a TD have shot up to 108%.

Inside the 10 yard-line...
      If one play earns a TD 41.7% of the time... and another play only earns a TD 19.7% of the time... which do you choose...? Again, this is simple Math.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Moore made a reference to "we're going to find a play we do well".--in every situation hopefully, but I'll take 40 Power for 6 thank you.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Don't tell me you are going to run the ball 4 times !
          I think Anthony Lynn tried that against the Lions and Broncos. Neither worked

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If I remember well, it was the very same play 4 times !

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

Who was worse?

Lynn
              Riley
              McCoy

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

So... it's 1st and goal from the 3 yard line... you're about to go up by 7... on the road... 10;30 left in the 4th quarter...
                Considering all of the things in bold above.... what's your call....?! Please don't tell me it's a pass............
                How has my OL been run blocking this game? Who am I playing - how well do they rush the passer, cover 4 or 5 receivers? How good are their LBs at close run support? What have I done on previous drives?

Do I call an inside power? Do I call an outside read zone rush? Do i fake the handoff and bootleg Herbie outside with a RPO to either pass or run? Why are you being so predictable?

From the 3 yard line, the time remaining isn’t very relevant to me. not looking for a time-consuming 3 yard drive here.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lombo tried it a few times and failed too, hence more passes later.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How has my OL been run blocking this game? Who am I playing - how well do they rush the passer, cover 4 or 5 receivers? How good are their LBs at close run support? What have I done on previous drives?

Do I call an inside power? Do I call an outside read zone rush? Do i fake the handoff and bootleg Herbie outside with a RPO to either pass or run? Why are you being so predictable?

From the 3 yard line, the time remaining isn’t very relevant to me. not looking for a time-consuming 3 yard drive here.
                    Great questions!

1st drive: They work their way into the redzone via 6 passes and 2 runs (runs of 7 and 8 yards. Once in the redzone... 3 straight pass plays, resulting in a FG. Oh, how we love our FG's!!!! I like to describe these situations as -4 point differential.

2nd drive: They call 4 pass plays, 4 run plays (one of each in the redzone) and... TD!!! Surprise, surprise...
                    Note: the 4 run plays will only net 5 yards... yet effectively open up the passing game. Was Nutty surprised...? Not really. Nutty likes 7 points better than 3 points.
                    We're up 10-0. It should be 14-0.

3rd drive: After Ekeler runs for 3 straight 4-yard gains... we pass it on 3rd-and-2 (obviously discouraged by the Chiefs inability to stop the run)... and we throw an incompletion... punt.

4th drive: After a 3-yard run by Ekeler and a 6 yard run by Kelley around mid-field... the 2-minute warning allows the Charger brass to mull over the down, situation, and time remaining. In their infinite wisdom, they decide to pass (it's habit at this point)... and take the sack. And punt! Luckily, the Chiefs don't take advantage of our missed opportunity. We go into half-time with a modest 10-7 lead and the 2nd half kick-off coming our way.

5th drive: In a rare display of balanced play calling (6 runs, 5 passes) the Chargers easily matriculate the ball down the field and score a 3rd quarter TD! Yes, in the 3rd quarter! Yes, a TD! Nutty is both surprised... and not surprised! We are now up 17-7.

6th drive: After the Chiefs respond to get back to 17-14... the Chargers throw an incompletion on 3rd-and-2. Punt. Not what we were looking for.

7th drive: Deep in our own territory, @ the 9-yard line... we throw 3 straight times. 2 incompletions and a sack. We punt from our own 2 yard line Chiefs the ball on our 36-yard line. After 9 plays (3 stout defensive stops @ the 3 yard line)... Chiefs tie the game up with a FG. Apparrently, we're not the only NFL team that enjoys incompletions from the 3-yard line and ensuing FG's. Horray! But not hurray... by this time the momentum has swung. Scoring a TD is imperative!

8th drive: Despite the inefficient previous 4 straight incomplete passes that have brought us to this tie game... the Chargers go into a passing frenzy (6 passes, 1 run). 3 short passes to Ekeler and 2 completions to Gerald "Scapegoat" Everett has them starring into the endzone... a short 3 yards away. On a night where the Chargers have a 3.1 ypc average, the Lombardi running plays have been inefficient, yet effective. The fact that the 0.1 yard difference in ypc average and actual distance to the drastically needed lead and momentum change... is somehow lost... and I do mean lost... in the ensuing scramble to run down the field to quick-snap a 1st-and-goal-from-the-3 situation. All time outs remain... 10:30 still remains... this won't even be the last possession of the night for the Chargers. Each team will receive the ball 3 more times before the night is through. In the rush and exhaustion players are coming off the field.... No! Back on the field! Wait....... Chiefs up 17-24... all momentum for the Chiefs continues. Nutty walks down the halls in utter confusion. How could we have utterly outplayed the Chiefs... and still be down by 7 points. Something is wrong here. Tomorrow, I'll systematically analyze the situation (already knowing exactly what went wrong. Shut down the Game Day Thread for the night... it's imploding on itself and no relevant information can be gleaned.

9th drive: People will point to Ekeler's -2 yard run on 3rd-and-2 as evidence that you can't run there. But, they'll have to also ignore that he had just run for 5 yards to get us in that 3rd-and-2 position. Even with Corey Linsley out of the game by this drive... the 3rd-and2 run call was the correct call.

10th drive: Herbert gets crushed ribs... the momentum is gone anyways. Instead being up by 3 points, we're behind by 10 points (2 scores) and only 5 minutes left.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                      Who was worse?

Lynn
                      Riley
                      McCoy
                      Riley was the worst. If I'm the owner of an XFL or USFL team, I'll take Lynn over McCoy.

I was surprised to see McCoy back in the NFL last season. Good for him, but once again he has a great quarterback to work with, now with Lawrence following Rivers and Peyton. I'm surprised Jacksonville gave him a shot to coach Lawrence. After getting fired by the Chargers he was a failure in Denver (second time around) and Arizona as their offensive coordinator. I wouldn't want him coaching my young quarterback.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Riley was the worst. If I'm the owner of an XFL or USFL team, I'll take Lynn over McCoy.

I was surprised to see McCoy back in the NFL last season. Good for him, but once again he has a great quarterback to work with, now with Lawrence following Rivers and Peyton. I'm surprised Jacksonville gave him a shot to coach Lawrence. After getting fired by the Chargers he was a failure in Denver (second time around) and Arizona as their offensive coordinator. I wouldn't want him coaching my young quarterback.
                        It's OK by me . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

If I remember well, it was the very same play 4 times !
                          Lol, not sure Lynn's real title in SF but seems they just hired him In case he gets another HC shot to get two 3rd round comp picks. Just kind of odd and they have been piling those comp picks up.

Comment

Working...
                          X