• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The 49ers invested three first-round picks in Trey Lance, got nothing out of him his first two years, and still played in the last two NFC Championship Games, with two different quarterbacks getting them there. That's the difference between teams like the 49ers and us. You take Justin Herbert away this season and we're talking about a team that has no shot at the playoffs.
    Agreed . . . . . . . . . . frankly it was a minor miracle that they (SF) made it to the CC at all, and there are injuries, and then there are INJURIES. If we don't have Herbert on the field we're essentially toast - zero chance to win, because we are QB dependent (like many other teams). We can afford to lose a number of other players (like last year) and still be competitive, but if we lose Herbert we're NOT going to be competitive, unless we're playing the Annadale school for the blind . . . . . . . .

I really really really wish we had a competent backup QB . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

The 49ers invested three first-round picks in Trey Lance, got nothing out of him his first two years, and still played in the last two NFC Championship Games, with two different quarterbacks getting them there. That's the difference between teams like the 49ers and us. You take Justin Herbert away this season and we're talking about a team that has no shot at the playoffs.
      The Niners total collapse in the playoffs is a lot like us. Or maybe not. 7-31 looks worse than 30-31. Both playoff Ls, so, whatever.
      Re: No Herbert would be a bummer. No shot is speculation. We played with him hurt most of our 10-7 season.
      We haven't seen Moore calling a game with Stick or Duggan and the balance of the starting O.
      We haven't seen a healthy 2023 D play.
      We'd win some. The rest of the team ain't chopped liver.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The Niners total collapse in the playoffs is a lot like us. Or maybe not. 7-31 looks worse than 30-31. Both playoff Ls, so, whatever.
        Re: No Herbert would be a bummer. No shot is speculation. We played with him hurt most of our 10-7 season.
        We haven't seen Moore calling a game with Stick or Duggan and the balance of the starting O.
        you should look at the Bills collapse too. Some folks are myopic.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• colorado
          Fan since '62
          • Jun 2023
          • Desert Rat
          • Nothing but time on my hands
          • Send PM

We haven't seen Stick or Duggan play yet under Moore, what's to say that Moore could do the same with them he did with Rush last year if we got in that delema. We might have that diamond in the ruff there and everyone's having a premature ass attack over. Won't be Herbert understandably but you never know.

Do I want to find out the hard way? Hell no, I want that trophy too.
          Last edited by colorado; 07-21-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

There is other talent on this team. I don't believe there's a head coach on this team who would know what to do if Herbert wouldn't be able to play a good part of the season. I would love for him to prove me wrong about him this season.
            Last edited by DerwinBosa; 07-21-2023, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Except that the Niners actually won 2 playoff games prior to that game (Seahawks, Cowboys - both of whom beat the Chargers convincingly in the regular season), and only lost to Philly (in Philly) because they lost the capability to have any kind of offense when Purdy went out after injury in their 1st offensive series of the game. They played almost the entire game against a very good Philly defense with the immortal Josh Johnson at the helm. Just because the final score looks lopsided doesn't mean that there is ANY correlation between their loss and the Chargers loss.

Sure - they collapsed just like us . . . . . . . . . . . . . . we actually did 'collapse' (in the wild card round), whereas SF just ran out of QB's (in the conf championship game).

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Except that the Niners actually won 2 playoff games prior to that game (Seahawks, Cowboys - both of whom beat the Chargers convincingly in the regular season), and only lost to Philly (in Philly) because they lost the capability to have any kind of offense when Purdy went out after injury in their 1st offensive series of the game. They played almost the entire game against a very good Philly defense with the immortal Josh Johnson at the helm. Just because the final score looks lopsided doesn't mean that there is ANY correlation between their loss and the Chargers loss.

Sure - they collapsed just like us . . . . . . . . . . . . . . we actually did 'collapse' (in the wild card round), whereas SF just ran out of QB's (in the conf championship game).
                Yeah, and it was 14-7 late in the second quarter, before Josh Johnson fumbled the snap at the 49ers' 30 and the Eagles recovered. Philadelphia then scored a touchdown to make it 21-7 at the half, and Johnson suffered a concussion early in the third quarter, forcing San Francisco to bring Purdy back into the game to hand the ball off every play because he couldn't throw.

I'm failing to see how this outrageous set of circumstances that had never happened before and probably will never happen again proves that you can't win the Super Bowl by running the ball and playing great defense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Yeah, and it was 14-7 late in the second quarter, before Josh Johnson fumbled the snap at the 49ers' 30 and the Eagles recovered. Philadelphia then scored a touchdown to make it 21-7 at the half, and Johnson suffered a concussion early in the third quarter, forcing San Francisco to bring Purdy back into the game to hand the ball off every play because he couldn't throw.

I'm failing to see how this outrageous set of circumstances that had never happened before and probably will never happen again proves that you can't win the Super Bowl by running the ball and playing great defense.
                  Let’s stipulate that it’s just one data point, and one game doesn’t prove any fact either way, But you say in the post that they tried to run the ball and play defense, and then you don’t understand how it proves you cant win by running the ball and playing great defense. Well, they didn’t win is how. They were Top 3 Defensive team with Top 7 rush game, but once they lost the ability to throw the ball they were toast. Not just normal toast, they were burnt black on both sides.

Too extreme an example? Maybe, maybe not. We don’t know. It could be the extreme example of our theory that you need to be able to pass to have a good offense and you need a good (pass) offense to win. The theory is that a great pass game is the keys to winning “modern football”. A good rush game and good defense are less important, which is not to say they don’t matter at all, of course they do. It means they are no longer enough if you face a team that has a great pass game.

This game doesn’t prove that theory, it is just consistent with the theory.

i’m more interested in analyses of why Buffalo collapsed so spectacularly at home vs CIN? They were just horrible, got beat like a drum despite being favored. They flat out got embarrassed. What happened there. Anyone?

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Let’s stipulate that it’s just one data point, and one game doesn’t prove any fact either way, But you say in the post that they tried to run the ball and play defense, and then you don’t understand how it proves you cant win by running the ball and playing great defense. Well, they didn’t win is how. They were Top 3 Defensive team with Top 7 rush game, but once they lost the ability to throw the ball they were toast. Not just normal toast, they were burnt black on both sides.

Too extreme an example? Maybe, maybe not. We don’t know. It could be the extreme example of our theory that you need to be able to pass to have a good offense and you need a good (pass) offense to win. The theory is that a great pass game is the keys to winning “modern football”. A good rush game and good defense are less important, which is not to say they don’t matter at all, of course they do. It means they are no longer enough if you face a team that has a great pass game.

This game doesn’t prove that theory, it is just consistent with the theory.

i’m more interested in analyses of why Buffalo collapsed so spectacularly at home vs CIN? They were just horrible, got beat like a drum despite being favored. They flat out got embarrassed. What happened there. Anyone?
                    You have to be able to do both. The 49ers game just proves the obvious, that you can’t win without a QB. It’s a poor example. You keep asking about the Bills for some reason. They can’t run the ball very well. And couldn’t at all against Cincy. Meanwhile Cincy killed it on the ground. Balanced offense. We had the same problem as Buffalo. No running game at all. We were as bad in the second half as the 49ers and we supposedly have the golden god qb.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You have to be able to do both. The 49ers game just proves the obvious, that you can’t win without a QB. It’s a poor example. You keep asking about the Bills for some reason. They can’t run the ball very well. And couldn’t at all against Cincy. Meanwhile Cincy killed it on the ground. Balanced offense. We had the same problem as Buffalo. No running game at all. We were as bad in the second half as the 49ers and we supposedly have the golden god qb.
                      I think its a poor example because its only one example., we are quibbling and its become a bore. The fact is that once they were unable to pass the ball in the game, they were immediately and completely destroyed. Thats the extreme example of exactly what we said.

I ask about the Bills to hopefully get someone around here gain a smidge of perspective. I’m being sneaky, but it’s too subtle and it’s not working. Folks around here are too dense and rigidly doctrinaire. I’ll have to go back to the drawing board.

dont you EVER doubt our Qb is the golden god. Get the fuck out if you don’t get that much . We lost by 1 pt, we did not lose the same as the 49ers - its the simplest fucking math in school, can’t you do basic subtraction?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think its a poor example because its only one example., we are quibbling and its become a bore. The fact is that once they were unable to pass the ball in the game, they were immediately and completely destroyed. Thats the extreme example of exactly what we said.

I ask about the Bills to hopefully get someone around here gain a smidge of perspective. I’m being sneaky, but it’s too subtle and it’s not working. Folks around here are too dense and rigidly doctrinaire. I’ll have to go back to the drawing board.

dont you EVER doubt our Qb is the golden god. Get the fuck out if you don’t get that much . We lost by 1 pt, we did not lose the same as the 49ers - its the simplest fucking math in school, can’t you do basic subtraction?
                        49ers couldn’t pass and Bills couldn’t run. Gotta do both.

oh I’m doubting it baby. you lose a game you’re up 27-0, in doubting it

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

One thing SF has been able to do with its defense is beat Kellen Moore’s Cowboy offense in the playoffs. Twice in a row in fact.

Comment

Working...
                          X