• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Doesn’t seem to be working too well in PS games, practices or scrimmages. If you read Popper’s reports the passing offense has been pretty much a dud and Herbert is throwing a lot of INTs. At least our $52m qb will be able to hand off as it seems the run game is better
    If PS games meant anything, the Ravens would have won the last 7 Super Bowls in a row.

I don't. Often Ol' Pop-Gun has no idea what he's talking about. Sometimes... he picks a good microbrew...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Doesn’t seem to be working too well in PS games, practices or scrimmages. If you read Popper’s reports the passing offense has been pretty much a dud and Herbert is throwing a lot of INTs. At least our $52m qb will be able to hand off as it seems the run game is better
      So Herbert sucks now too? Lol, damn - we’re in worse shape than I realized. I read Keenan completely torched the defense today, maybe it’ll turn around eh? Lol … too funny. Popper camp reports and we’re doomed.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If PS games meant anything, the Ravens would have won the last 7 Super Bowls in a row.

I don't. Often Ol' Pop-Gun has no idea what he's talking about. Sometimes... he picks a good microbrew...
        The results are meaningless for sure except to John Harbaugh I guess. The games themselves used to be a tune up for starters who played sparingly but played. Sean McVay was probably the first to sit all his starters for pre season. A lot of the older school guys still play them. But the season is longer now so it makes sense. The tune ups in games have been replaced with mid week scrimmages.

Comment

• YAC
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2023
          • Send PM

NVM

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

The results are meaningless for sure except to John Harbaugh I guess. The games themselves used to be a tune up for starters who played sparingly but played. Sean McVay was probably the first to sit all his starters for pre season. A lot of the older school guys still play them. But the season is longer now so it makes sense. The tune ups in games have been replaced with mid week scrimmages.
            Even scrimmages don't really give us anything predictive.

I mean, guys are getting bent out of shape because Michael Thomas was beating Derwin James 1 v 1. LOL!
            That's just not a real scenario. Team defense is very different than that. I can guarantee that Staley wasn't disguising coverages. I can guarantee Moore wasn't revealing the real passing game. Motions and shifts... odd formations/personnel. Both coaches are known for their schemes that confuse their counterparts. We got vanilla ice cream and stale sprinkles in TC. Nobody knows shit, yet.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Preseason games measure your depth. Besides the Rams, the Chargers have been routinely smoked in preseason for the past few years and what happens every season when injuries take a toll? The lack of depth is exposed.

I was optimistic after the Rams game but Saints game was a better reality check.

One thing I know for sure…..Coaches and players want to win preseason games because it builds momentum and confidence. The excuse the games don’t matter is a loser mentality.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Preseason games measure your depth. Besides the Rams, the Chargers have been routinely smoked in preseason for the past few years and what happens every season when injuries take a toll? The lack of depth is exposed.

I was optimistic after the Rams game but Saints game was a better reality check.

One thing I know for sure…..Coaches and players want to win preseason games because it builds momentum and confidence. The excuse the games don’t matter is a loser mentality.
                Did we run block well? Did we defend the run well? etc. Winning points of focus is the goal in preseason.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

I'm surprised the NFL doesn't have a Pre-Season Hall OF Fame LOL!!!

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Did we run block well? Did we defend the run well? etc. Winning points of focus is the goal in preseason.
                    No. We didn’t do anything well.

Saints time of possession was 34% longer than Chargers. That’s getting an ass whup on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

No. We didn’t do anything well.

Saints time of possession was 34% longer than Chargers. That’s getting an ass whup on both sides of the ball.
                      I disagree. They had the ball all day due to Chargers offense 3 & outs, turnovers.. NO had no passing TDs with a vet starting QB, one TD rushing. We had impressively good defense, particularly in the red zone and run D with all backups vs several starters..We dropped several ints that would have produced an LAC win. Got to learn to hang on.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I disagree. They had the ball all day due to Chargers offense 3 & outs, turnovers.. NO had no passing TDs with a vet starting QB, one TD rushing. We had impressively good defense, particularly in the red zone and run D with all backups vs several starters..We dropped several ints that would have produced an LAC win. Got to learn to hang on.

We had 3 turnovers and lost by 5, not an ass whooping
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Rugger05
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

this is the assessment I agree with. In years past Chargers would get smoked in preseason because their depth sucks. I have been impressed with it this preseason and especially with the depth on the defensive side of the ball. People will bitch about oline depth but the reality is most oline play in the league is not good (even factoring in starters) and there is a severe shortage of quality tackles in the NFL currently.

Comment

Working...
                          X