• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would take a deal like Ek/5 for a 3rd. I have no delusions of grandeur he is going to 1) get a Day 2 pick straight up 2) he is going to fetch a magical 3rd round comp pick in two years

Hence, I think like you said, do you want any negativity in the locker room - so trade him
    Your missing the bigger picture. Say you were the team wanting Ekeler. Would you give up a 3rd rounder for one year of Ekeler? Because that's what you're looking at
    without a long term contract. Now do you think a long term contract is going to get done on draft day? Now we don't really know what the Chargers want in return.
    Those are the issues that have to be resolved in order tor Ekeler to be traded on draft day.

It's even more possible for a late draft pick, but the Chargers won't do that unless after they get a RB in the draft.

After the draft everything changes.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Your missing the bigger picture. Say you were the team wanting Ekeler. Would you give up a 3rd rounder for one year of Ekeler? Because that's what you're looking at
      without a long term contract. Now do you think a long term contract is going to get done on draft day? Now we don't really know what the Chargers want in return.
      Those are the issues that have to be resolved in order tor Ekeler to be traded on draft day.

It's even more possible for a late draft pick, but the Chargers won't do that unless after they get a RB in the draft.

After the draft everything changes.
      You make a very good point. My point was more that the value of Ekeler is not going to be CMC territory. Its going to be less. And even flipping a round might be enough for me. The contract stuff - if a deal happens, is already worked out because they have had 6 weeks to get that part done with other teams.

As for a day 3 pick- you are correct they probably do not take a 7th for Ekeler but thats pretty much what a 2025 comp pick would be worth. Meaning a 2025 5th is like a 2023 7th.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, the third option (most likely in my opinion) is that nobody wants to pay him his $12 million or whatever he wants and give up a draft pick so he returns to the team and plays out his contract. Not sure why you assume he will be unprofessional about it.
        He said in his interview with howie long’s son that he will relentlessly continue to pursue a new deal all the way thru the season, that was in my opinion a warning to the FO that he will continue to do interviews and he’ll continue to be vocal about his discontent…I don’t know if that necessarily falls under the description of being “unprofessional” more than he’s aggressively advocating for himself, as he well should, but because it would be a distraction, I don’t think that’s good for the team on the field…

lamar jackson and the ravens have in my opinion been civil and “professional” but you can’t tell me that his contract issues haven’t hurt the ravens the past two years…it's just not a positive vibe for a locker room…once the season starts everyone needs to be focused on football and not on business, this is the time to find a resolution, they aren’t even in the same area code right now so the best thing is to move on now rather than let this fester any further…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

You make a very good point. My point was more that the value of Ekeler is not going to be CMC territory. Its going to be less. And even flipping a round might be enough for me. The contract stuff - if a deal happens, is already worked out because they have had 6 weeks to get that part done with other teams.

As for a day 3 pick- you are correct they probably do not take a 7th for Ekeler but thats pretty much what a 2025 comp pick would be worth. Meaning a 2025 5th is like a 2023 7th.
          The contract would be between Ekleler and the other team. Chargers would only agree for compensation. I don't think that has happened. Sooo back to square one.
          1 year deal for Ekeler. What is that worth in terms of draft capital? That's the $6.8M question.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

He said in his interview with howie long’s son that he will relentlessly continue to pursue a new deal all the way thru the season, that was in my opinion a warning to the FO that he will continue to do interviews and he’ll continue to be vocal about his discontent…I don’t know if that necessarily falls under the description of being “unprofessional” more than he’s aggressively advocating for himself, as he well should, but because it would be a distraction, I don’t think that’s good for the team on the field…

lamar jackson and the ravens have in my opinion been civil and “professional” but you can’t tell me that his contract issues haven’t hurt the ravens the past two years…it's just not a positive vibe for a locker room…once the season starts everyone needs to be focused on football and not on business, this is the time to find a resolution, they aren’t even in the same area code right now so the best thing is to move on now rather than let this fester any further…
            It is easy to picture Austin's infrequent untimely ball security issue to become apparent. The contract issue can cause that.

I love the guy. His explosive plays and toughness are big pluses. That said, I would get what we can, which would best be during the draft. Otherwise I would wave Ekeler and use the cap room on KVN/Callahan/etc.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is easy to picture Austin's infrequent untimely ball security issue to become apparent. The contract issue can cause that.

I love the guy. His explosive plays and toughness are big pluses. That said, I would get what we can, which would best be during the draft. Otherwise I would wave Ekeler and use the cap room on KVN/Callahan/etc.
              Thats part of the trade compensation to me - $6m of cap space. Thats not insignificant. Can probably get a pretty decent player - say JJ3 or Leonard Floyd - depending on what the draft brings the team

So its just not Ekeler for say a 5th round pick. Its the 5th round pick + Player A and maybe Player B for Ekeler

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The contract would be between Ekleler and the other team. Chargers would only agree for compensation. I don't think that has happened. Sooo back to square one.
                1 year deal for Ekeler. What is that worth in terms of draft capital? That's the $6.8M question.
                Agreed about the contract and Ekeler. But the Chargers have given Ekeler the last 6 months to find a trade partner so the numbers are either there or not there.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Waive? That would be a huge embarrassment for the organization IMO, how long do you think it will take before he’s in a bronco uniform? I can’t understand your thinking here, you don’t waive a player that has lead the NFL in touchdowns the last two seasons…players that know how to get into the endzone will always be in demand…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Agreed about the contract and Ekeler. But the Chargers have given Ekeler the last 6 months to find a trade partner so the numbers are either there or not there.
                    If they were there, wouldn't we already know about it? Last interview with Ekeler he was still looking. It's a completely different situation if Ekeler had let's
                    say two or more years on his current contract, but he doesn't. It's down to one year. I think a draft day trade for Ekeler will come down to what a team
                    would give up in draft or other capital for one year of service.

Now if Ekeler is going to be trouble in the locker room for the Chargers, why wouldn't he be trouble for the team getting him for a 1 year deal? In my opinion
                    it just doesn't add up. After the draft it becomes a very different story.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

He said he would relentlessly pursue it but did not say anything about doing it through the season. He also has also said that if something doesn't happen he'd play out the last year of his deal. I can't imagine the team training him after the draft if we don't draft a RB so I suspect we'll find out shortly. My guess is he plays for us next year.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Thats part of the trade compensation to me - $6m of cap space. Thats not insignificant. Can probably get a pretty decent player - say JJ3 or Leonard Floyd - depending on what the draft brings the team

So its just not Ekeler for say a 5th round pick. Its the 5th round pick + Player A and maybe Player B for Ekeler
                        For one year? I don't think so. Now I'm not saying a draft day deal for Ekeler is not possible. I see two possible scenarios.

1. Chargers get a RB in the draft they are happy with and trade Ekeler for a late round draft pick OR some mid-level player for depth.
                        This is sort of the same line of thinking you put up. I just think 1 year of Ekeler is not going to bring in much.

2. Chargers get involved in a trade where they move up or down the draft board and use Ekeler to sweeten the pot.

What I don't see. Eleker getting a long term deal with some other team in return for a 3rd round pick or something of that nature.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Waive? That would be a huge embarrassment for the organization IMO, how long do you think it will take before he’s in a bronco uniform? I can’t understand your thinking here, you don’t waive a player that has lead the NFL in touchdowns the last two seasons…players that know how to get into the endzone will always be in demand…
                          Embarrassing ? OK.

You know how important ball security is.

Ekeler will fumble with money and fairness on his mind.

Did we not learn from MG III ??
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X