• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Clapp was bad. Every time he had to spell Corey the oline took a huge dump - like everyone else was trying to compensate for him . . . .
    Agree...Clapp allowed one sack, but a lot of hurries...

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      I don't feel Clapp played as badly as most here do. Was there dropoff from one of the best centers in the NFL? Yep. But not going to have a Linsley caliber player on the bench to replace Linsley when he gets hurt. Clapp was the best back up center this team has had for years and was better than the starter before Linsley (our man Feeney). Clapp is not under contract right now, right?

That said, I do agree that Chargers need to be smart and understand that Linsley is going to miss games and they should invest in a talented young center who can both back him up and be the long term answer when he retires/moves on. How is the center talent in this draft? Would be great for a rookie to learn from Linsley a few years and then take over. Rare opportunity.

TG
      round two

John Michael Schmitz
      Steve Avila
      Joe Tippmann

round four

Olusegun Oluwatimi
      Jarrett Patterson

round five

Ricky Stromberg
      Alex Forsyth
      Juice Scruggs

eye like Tippmann round two, but not @the expense of the Dline/front 7, and prefer Scruggs.... question is how early do you reach for him if he's your lean ??

eye also suspect that the Chargers will retain the services of Clapp as our backup OC, and.... prefer the strategy of drafting a backup capable OC this offseason, and to go fish for our starting OC next offseason.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Juice in R4.
        is Scruggs >> Jarrett Patterson.... the Golden Domer ??

and more importantly, can you/we convince team Tommy John of that (and in time) ??
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
          WustinSlurbert
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Now Trey Pipkins and Easton Stick are the only remaining Chargers from that awful 2019 draft of ours. Very very very ironic.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Not only did I think Clapp was bad, I thought Clapp was sooooooo bad that he impacted the play of Zion as the you Turk tried to learn the ways of the wily rascally NFL.

Clapp is not on the team now, correct, I’ve called for C/G backup to develop and replace Linsley as the top OL depth need while all the beefheads were muttering OT Rd1, Can’t Have Enough OTs! - I agree with you.

Juice in R4.
            Yep...Feiler was already a bit subpar playing next to Lindsley...but next to Clapp, Feiler was a disaster...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

is Scruggs >> Jarrett Patterson.... the Golden Domer ??

and more importantly, can you/we convince team Tommy John of that (and in time) ??
              Not sure - and no lol. I see Juice constantly mocked at 5, i think its a big risk to assume he’s there when we pick near the end of the round. And I do agree the most important OL piece to add is a credible backup C/swing OG. if an OT goes down, Salyer can slide out**. Sarrell should be a year better as the 4th OT, which I don’t want to have to invoke but teams seldom to never have 4 OTs that anyone wants to start. It is what it is, teams can’t stockpile a half dozen OTs.

**assuming the coaches get over their ‘continuity’ crush. Other teams slide OL players when there is injury all the time to get their best 5 (at that moment) on the field.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post
                Now Trey Pipkins and Easton Stick are the only remaining Chargers from that awful 2019 draft of ours. Very very very ironic.
                Ouch...awful is right:

Round 1 - Tillery - bust - gone...
                Round 2 - Adderley - flashed at times, but never lived up to billing - retired...
                Round 3 - Pip - a project who took 3+ years to maybe pan out - improved last season - still a question mark in my book...
                Round 4 - Tranq - flashed at times, but not worth keeping...gone...
                Round 5 - Stick - a wasted pick - plenty of FA or UDFA QB's available for 3rd stringers...still with team
                Round 6 - Egbule - never stuck - gone...
                Round 7 - Broughton - same as "Wooly" Egbule...gone...

Ouch...ouch...ouch...is THIS the best our scouts and TT can do?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  I don't feel Clapp played as badly as most here do. Was there dropoff from one of the best centers in the NFL? Yep. But not going to have a Linsley caliber player on the bench to replace Linsley when he gets hurt. Clapp was the best back up center this team has had for years and was better than the starter before Linsley (our man Feeney). Clapp is not under contract right now, right?

That said, I do agree that Chargers need to be smart and understand that Linsley is going to miss games and they should invest in a talented young center who can both back him up and be the long term answer when he retires/moves on. How is the center talent in this draft? Would be great for a rookie to learn from Linsley a few years and then take over. Rare opportunity.

TG
                  I like this crop of centers, schmitz in the late late 1st or early second, there are two guys that intrigue me in rounds 3 or 4 scruggs from penn state and gaines from UCLA

there are a few other good ones in between too, but I dropped those names because they happen to be personal favorites…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ouch...awful is right:

Round 2 - Adderley - flashed at times, but never lived up to billing - retired...
                    Round 3 - Pip - a project who took 3+ years to maybe pan out - improved last season - still a question mark in my book...
                    Round 5 - Stick - a wasted pick - plenty of FA or UDFA QB's available for 3rd stringers...still with team

That team made the playoff in 2022 !
                    Incredible !

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
                      WustinSlurbert
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ouch...awful is right:

If it weren't for 2014's draft stink fest, 2019 would be Telesco's worst draft year by a landslide. I'm still not sure to this day which was worse. Jason Verrett was a very good player for the very few games he actually played for the Chargers, so despite his injury problems, 2014 might have actually been better than Pip's draft.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        At LT, Slater > Salyer
                        At LG, Zion > Fieler
                        At RG, Salyer > Zion ?

Can we talk about upgrade ?
                        All starting OL are upgraded in health & position familiarity to begin 2023. Now learn OC Moore's blocking schemes.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post

If it weren't for 2014's draft stink fest, 2019 would be Telesco's worst draft year by a landslide. I'm still not sure to this day which was worse. Jason Verrett was a very good player for the very few games he actually played for the Chargers, so despite his injury problems, 2014 might have actually been better than Pip's draft.
                          Ouch...I think u r right Pat...at least we got SOME sub-par with flashes use out of Tillery, Adderley and Tranq...2014 not so much...

Round 1 - Verrett -- talented, but an injury bust...
                          Round 2 - AttaOUCHu - Had one decent season with 8 sacks...other than that, never panned out...and didn't help that we used a 4th rounder to move up for him...
                          Round 3 - Watt - bust
                          Round 4 - nada
                          Round 5 - Carrethers - a JAG
                          Round 6 - Grice - wasted pick, never even made it out of TC, as I recall...
                          Round 7 - Tevin "The Human Toothpick" Reese - another wasted pick and TC cut...

Yep, pretty bad...

Comment

Working...
                          X