• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What the hell are you talking about? I like the Herbert Pick. I even wanted to move up to 3 to ensure we get a QB like Herbert and not Tua the train wreck. My comment was saying that he needs a chance at a top ten pick to get it right most of the time.
    I made no mention of you liking or not liking the Herbert pick. I was mere commenting on the blind squirrel post. He has had some good draft picks and some misses - just like all general managers do. My point is TT is likely on the hot seat and I predict he be gone if we don't win a playoff game this year. But despite the vitriol here about him, he is generally regarded as a good GM from most places, somewhere in the 10-12 range.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

I wanted I. Simmons

Remember ?
      Why five teams passed on Justin Herbert in the 2020 NFL Draft before Chargers picked QB | Sporting News Canada

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I made no mention of you liking or not liking the Herbert pick. I was mere commenting on the blind squirrel post. He has had some good draft picks and some misses - just like all general managers do. My point is TT is likely on the hot seat and I predict he be gone if we don't win a playoff game this year. But despite the vitriol here about him, he is generally regarded as a good GM from most places, somewhere in the 10-12 range.
        I hope he's gone if we don't make it to the SB. Winning a SB is the goal - not winning one playoff game.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I hope he's gone if we don't make it to the SB. Winning a SB is the goal - not winning one playoff game.
          I agree with this sentiment - I just think it likely that team Spanos would keep him with what what be improvements 3 years in a row.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I agree with this sentiment - I just think it likely that team Spanos would keep him with what what be improvements 3 years in a row.
            You're probably right. It seems our owners don't have a high bar.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Let's not forget that in that same 2020 draft when we got Herbie, TT also picked:

Round 1 - K9...flashes, but never lived up to 1st round billing...didn't help that we wasted a 2nd AND a 3rd rounder to move up for the dude...ugh...
              Round 4 - Kelley - After two JAG seasons, finally worked his way up to an average 3rd back in the rotation with flashes...
              Round 5 - Reed - a JAG and cut...
              Round 6 - Gilman - at least we've gotten some somewhat decent production out of him, for a 3rd day player...
              Round 7 - KJ Hill - Another JAG and a cut...

You would expect TT and staff to at least hit on a few more of those mid to late rounders over the years...Between Murray's meh performance and giving up 2nd and 3rd rounders for the dude, this didn't work out well at all...
              I'd say Murray is a bust too. He's just not the guy at the position.

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

If the team has another failure, and the Spanos don't let him go, the team will lose fans.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Breakout year for Murray coming right up!
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'd rank Justin Herbert as TT's best. pick.
                  And the sky is blue. and fire is hot . . . . . . you're really going out on a limb here . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Actually, I'd like for him to score on every pick. But..... Like W-L, I like this imperfect roster a lot and am not upset about how we got here. I expect the coming draft to be productive. I'm more patient than most about raw talent and development. Pipkins is a good example to others. Stick with it, put in the work.
                    Stalesco 2021- 1.Rashawn Slater 2. Asante Samuel Jr 3. Josh Palmer
                    2022- 1. Zion Johnson 2.( trade for) Kahlil Mack 3. JT Woods (4.3 S project) *Bonus for pick 6. Jamaree Salyer, very fortuitous #2 LT / starting RG.
                    There's no way to know for sure but Telesco's drafts after Staley was hired had a different feel to them, and were more successful that previous drafts (top to bottom), so it seems like Staley's had a positive effect on TT's player selection.

Maybe when he no longer has a HC gig he could move up to GM?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

I seem to remember reading one ranking that had him up there.
                      He hasn't had range 10 - 12 results in his 10 years, with the advantage of borderline Hall of Fame qb play.
                      He's a below 500 GM.

What I read into that is that he's likable, modest, has been around a long time,
                      and drafted Herbert.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                        Breakout year for Murray coming right up!
                        A breakout year for K9 would be whiffing on only 1-2 tackles a game instead of the usual 3-4...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

I think he’s been utterly average. His W-L record is right around .500, i think. His playoff appearance rate is at or below avg. his rosters have been utterly average. 10 years is a very long time to prove or disprove ability.

See - here he is, working away … udderly average!

Vintage Footage GIF by Brabant in Beelden
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X