Welcome DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (Round 2 #54)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I knew the Seau comparisons were coming just because of his heritage, his school and his age. That's impossible to live up to, but shoot for the stars young fella. I'm sure Junior would be proud.

Love the fact that his first conversation was about being a sponge and learning from Bosa and Mack. Seems grounded and ready to put in the work.
    Both Polynesian men that attended USC but played different positions, both large men but junior was a physical specimen, a freak, probably much much more athletic jumping, running, and stronger in addition to being a ultra dedicated gym rat too…Junior could have been a hall of famer at multiple positions, TE, Edge, and LB but I think he preferred playing middle linebacker…Yes, both Polynesian men but the comparisons should probably end there, plus Junior’s people come from Samoa and Tuli’s people come from Tonga, even the languages are different although they are believed to share linguistic roots going way back into ancient times…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Tuli is not a speed-type guy. He is not going to run past OT and win with just speed. He is a hands/technique guy who plays with power and doesn't have any wasted movement. He is not really fast, but he isn't slow either. He is kinda a Morgan Fox or Bosa type of player. They may lack elite traits to run around, but they play their position really well, and can play across the DL, either filling in for Bosa or Mack being moved around, or he can move inside and outside. Tuli can fill a lot of roles on the DL. Edge, 3 tech on the rush line and can even drop in coverage.

The big thing for the Chargers is we need more players like Tuli who won't jump around and try and be finesse guys and get caught out of position as run defenders. A lot of long runs we give up are when our DL try to play like Aaron Donald and jump gaps to make the big play, but then leave a huge hole in the D. Tuli may not be as flashy as some, and he has times when you want to see him get better leverage outside or get under blocks better, but he is still in his gap.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

A lot of folks here liked the pick at the time. I didnt know who he was but I trusted this crowd he was a good pick
        He was a four year starter at Nebraska, with experience at multiple positions along the line. He possessed the measurables you're looking for, and TT gushed about him, as much as a GM gushes about a 5th rounder.

So our expectation, as fans, was that this guy was likely to-- with his versatility-- fit in somewhere, and be a productive asset. Perhaps not right away, but in due time. 'Due Time' came and went with Jaimes quite a while ago. He's overdue to produce now, and has to be considered a marginal likelihood to make the roster this season.

From all appearances, we've been Chris Watt-ed. Of course, Jaimes was a 5th rounder, and Watt a 3rd rounder, so Watt is clearly the heftier punchbowl turd. But I digress.

My point is that it's not exactly rare for TT to miscalculate on O-linemen. From Chris Watt to Dan Feeney to Forrest Lamp to Brendan Jaimes, the Bolts' draft landscape is littered with the selections of O-linemen who were out of football by the time their rookie contracts would have expired. When it comes to O-linemen, there has clearly been some kind of miscalculation in the evaluation process for the Chargers.

Thankfully, Slater and Zion have been bullseyes, although... not exactly a testament to GM shrewdness, to hit on a couple of Top 20 picks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

He was a four year starter at Nebraska, with experience at multiple positions along the line. He possessed the measurables you're looking for, and TT gushed about him, as much as a GM gushes about a 5th rounder.

So our expectation, as fans, was that this guy was likely to-- with his versatility-- fit in somewhere, and be a productive asset. Perhaps not right away, but in due time. 'Due Time' came and went with Jaimes quite a while ago. He's overdue to produce now, and has to be considered a marginal likelihood to make the roster this season.

From all appearances, we've been Chris Watt-ed. Of course, Jaimes was a 5th rounder, and Watt a 3rd rounder, so Watt is clearly the heftier punchbowl turd. But I digress.

My point is that it's not exactly rare for TT to miscalculate on O-linemen. From Chris Watt to Dan Feeney to Forrest Lamp to Brendan Jaimes, the Bolts' draft landscape is littered with the selections of O-linemen who were out of football by the time their rookie contracts would have expired. When it comes to O-linemen, there has clearly been some kind of miscalculation in the evaluation process for the Chargers.

Thankfully, Slater and Zion have been bullseyes, although... not exactly a testament to GM shrewdness, to hit on a couple of Top 20 picks.
          Watt looked good his first year playing RG/LG: he started more than a few games, with all their injuries.

Then, they moved him to center (its why they drafted him), and he predictably struggled starting off his first game.
          Then, he got injured....end of career.

Decent draft pick that got Chargered.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Tuli is not a speed-type guy. He is not going to run past OT and win with just speed. He is a hands/technique guy who plays with power and doesn't have any wasted movement. He is not really fast, but he isn't slow either. He is kinda a Morgan Fox or Bosa type of player. They may lack elite traits to run around, but they play their position really well, and can play across the DL, either filling in for Bosa or Mack being moved around, or he can move inside and outside. Tuli can fill a lot of roles on the DL. Edge, 3 tech on the rush line and can even drop in coverage.

The big thing for the Chargers is we need more players like Tuli who won't jump around and try and be finesse guys and get caught out of position as run defenders. A lot of long runs we give up are when our DL try to play like Aaron Donald and jump gaps to make the big play, but then leave a huge hole in the D. Tuli may not be as flashy as some, and he has times when you want to see him get better leverage outside or get under blocks better, but he is still in his gap.
            It’s important to remember that he is only 20 years old, I don’t think for a second that TnT is anywhere near maxed all of his potential yet…and he already has some tools to work with but will continue to develop and add polish to his game…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

A lot of folks here liked the pick at the time. I didnt know who he was but I trusted this crowd he was a good pick
              I liked the jaimes pick a lot in 2021 and he showed some promise in year one, but then in year two he came into the offseason in worse shape than he had probably ever been in college. I have a theory that he was unhappy or disappointed about not getting to compete for an OT spot but that’s just me trying to find an explanation or a reason why he would take his opportunity for granted instead of busting his hump and trying to find a way to stick around in the league…perhaps he has a post NFL career that he is anxious to get into sooner than later? IDK but unless he pulls a 180 this year he is looking like a complete bust if you can even call a 5th rounder a bust…

hopefully the light came on this offseason and he rededicated himself in the gym and stayed away from the snacks and the fastfood…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

He missed on fluker too, but he also hit on pipkins and salyer let’s not forget those two, I think mcfadden will be a hit as well…

after linsley retires our O-line will be 100% home grown, they will either draft a starting center or mcfadden moves to center, or johnson moves to center and mcfadden takes over his LG spot next year…either way, when was the last time since the coryell era that the chargers had a homegrown offensive line? Even the boss ross era lines featured outside guys AJ smith area also featured outside guys here and there guys like goff and oben…

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

If I'm not mistaken... we, as fans, found out only days before the draft that Addison Jordan acts like a complete asshat, right?

Jordan had various connections to the Chargers through coaches, and was among a handful of players popularly rumored to be the Bolts' pick at #21 in the weeks leading up to the draft..

Something else that we, as fans, only learned in recent days (most of us, anyway) is that Quentin Johnston is the son of two career military parents, and is a team leader and "the hardest worker on the team". He sounds like the opposite of an asshat!

IMO, character was an important component in the Bolts' selection of QJ, not just over other receivers, but over players at other positions, too. Dedicated, hard-working team leaders are what you build a positive and successful culture on the back of. I think they see QJ as someone who will not only be a good player on the field, but someone who raises the bar among his teammates for hard work and dedication.

This is how you (eventually) stop the 'Chargering' . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Yeah, same here. Several posters were praising the pick at the time but I had no idea who Jaimes was. I'm kind of shocked he's so bad he can't even get into a game when they are out of OL.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

IMO, character was an important component in the Bolts' selection of QJ, not just over other receivers, but over players at other positions, too. Dedicated, hard-working team leaders are what you build a positive and successful culture on the back of. I think they see QJ as someone who will not only be a good player on the field, but someone who raises the bar among his teammates for hard work and dedication.
                      Definitely Telesco is big on good character, and to his credit he has built a roster of quality character guys, though I'm beginning to wonder about Bosa. There are no locker room problems among the players that I know of. I have assumed that character concerns is the reason for the controversial decision to release Tryon Johnson in 2021.

I believe they drafted Derius Davis and Max Duggan because they were impressed with the character of both these players, like QJ's.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, same here. Several posters were praising the pick at the time but I had no idea who Jaimes was. I'm kind of shocked he's so bad he can't even get into a game when they are out of OL.
                        I didnt see any reports he was at Dukes Spring camp, even though a lot of Chargers OL were there. I’m looking forward to see if Sarrell improved. He struggled mightily in his frosh debut last year, thrown in not ready. Now he’s been thru the grinder, and went to Duke’s camp, maybe he will develop into a reliable depth piece.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Unless he pulls some kind of miracle this offseason, I can’t imagine him making the roster this year

slater—johnson—lindsley—salyer—pipkins….the swing tackle will be sarrell, clapp will be the backup center again with guard flex, mcfadden will be the primary backup guard with tackle flex…thats 8 guys but doesn’t staley normally carry 9 OL guys on the 53 man? Maybe they carry jaimes again but I honestly don’t see the point…if they do carry a 9th guy I’m thinking one of the guys on IR last year, maybe bailey, or one of the UDFAs that they just signed?

or maybe they just carry jaimes another year even though he won’t play—even when needed, LOL…let’s see how he comes into camp this year…

Comment

Working...
                          X