• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Teams generally sign the good players they draft to second contacts. It doesn't happen every time, but just take the Chargers as an example... Who were the Chargers best draft picks in the Telesco era? Herbert, Allen, Bosa, James, Slater, Tui, Mike Williams. How many of them were signed to second contracts? How many will be? How about the best TEs of recent memory...Kelce, Gronk, Gates, Kittle, Andrews, Gonzales.

All I've heard from people advocating for Bowers is how much the Bolts will save on the second contract, yet no teams who pick first round TEs seem to want to take advantage of the amazing savings? That doesn't make sense unless the players just aren't even worth the Midwest contracts they are supposed to get.

You have to be a really crappy player (or criminal) to be a first round pick and not get a second contract. Tillery got one. D'Arnold got one.
    Brandon Cooks disagrees.
    For some reason he never got that second contract, has played for 5 teams, has over 1000 yards in 6 if his 10 seasons, been relatively healthy and has 684 receptions.

Idk...he is a WR and still doing pretty good. Some things you cant explain.
    In fact, with 1 year left in his deal at 4 mil this year at 30 years old, we might want to call Dallas and ask about his availability during or after the draft.

​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

We're about to discover a lot about who Hortiz and Harbaugh as team-builders.

That *is* exciting, unless you're overly scarred from seeing previous administrations monumentally botch this process up, which just makes you anxious.
      I think we've already been given a large preview into that 'discovery' this offseason, it's not going to be the sexy toys everyone wants, it's going to be big uglies and defense and folks need to get mentally prepared for that otherwise the forum is going to erupt into a cacophony of absurdity regarding "maybe Hortiz and Harbaugh not the answer" type nonsense...

defense, defense, defense,....with Justin under center even mid round WR and 3rd wave veteran FA WRs are going to give this team enough scoring to kick some serious ass, but the defense needs to go from bottom 5 to top 10-14 range from last year to this year and the only way that happens with a more Edge depth to cover Joey's inevitable injury, a CB, a LB, and a DT...so the investment in those positions has to come often and early in the draft if you want to get the guys that can contribute to that defensive transformation in 2024...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think we've already been given a large preview into that 'discovery' this offseason, it's not going to be the sexy toys everyone wants, it's going to be big uglies and defense and folks need to get mentally prepared for that otherwise the forum is going to erupt into a cacophony of absurdity regarding "maybe Hortiz and Harbaugh not the answer" type nonsense...

defense, defense, defense,....with Justin under center even mid round WR and 3rd wave veteran FA WRs are going to give this team enough scoring to kick some serious ass, but the defense needs to go from bottom 5 to top 10-14 range from last year to this year and the only way that happens with a more Edge depth to cover Joey's inevitable injury, a CB, a LB, and a DT...so the investment in those positions has to come often and early in the draft if you want to get the guys that can contribute to that defensive transformation in 2024...
        DT is the area that really needs to be transformed, which leads to the question: How high a pick will Hortiz invest in one?

Byron Murphy, Johnny Newton, Kris Jenkins, Michael Hall, Darius Robinson, Braden Fiske and the recently arrested T'Vondre Sweat make up the top of this DT class, and most of them figure to be off the board by the time the Chargers are slated to pick at #37. There's only so long Hortiz can afford to wait, if DT is going to be addressed.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

DT is the area that really needs to be transformed, which leads to the question: How high a pick will Hortiz invest in one?

Byron Murphy, Johnny Newton, Kris Jenkins, Michael Hall, Darius Robinson, Braden Fiske and the recently arrested T'Vondre Sweat make up the top of this DT class, and most of them figure to be off the board by the time the Chargers are slated to pick at #37. There's only so long Hortiz can afford to wait, if DT is going to be addressed.
          You really all those guys are gonna be gone by #37?

sweat being talked about falling like crazy due to DUI arrest…

jenkins is been discussed as a mid to late 2nd rounder…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Not ALL gone by #37, but I figure at least THREE of them, not counting Sweat. Point is, selection figures to be pretty limited by the time Bolts are on the clock in Round 3. Limited window to make a move.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Not ALL gone by #37, but I figure at least THREE of them, not counting Sweat. Point is, selection figures to be pretty limited by the time Bolts are on the clock in Round 3. Limited window to make a move.
              I see what you mean, the need to address it by #37 or else risk missing out on the whole group…I was not a sweat fan even before the DUI so maybe in round 5 or 6?

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Fiske and Jenkins should be there @ 37 unless one is taken @ the top of the 2nd. I would be ok with Murph or Newton @11 if they trade down. Doubt they will be there @23 but one might slide down. If they stick and pick Murphy could be a possibility @ #5. Wouldn't be to disappoint with that pick.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Fiske and Jenkins should be there @ 37 unless one is taken @ the top of the 2nd. I would be ok with Murph or Newton @11 if they trade down. Doubt they will be there @23 but one might slide down. If they stick and pick Murphy could be a possibility @ #5. Wouldn't be to disappoint with that pick.
                  wow, you like Murphy a LOT more than I do

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I am likely the only one this late to the game, I know. But Joe Alt is the son of former Chiefs LT John Alt? I loved Alt when he played for the Chiefs. So many fond memories of Leslie O'Neal running over and around and through him for sacks and TFLs. He was an all pro a couple times though, to be fair. Just not so much against leslie

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• boltfanseattle
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Its Joe Alt at #5 time baby...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post
                        We'll see. I think it's MHJ, or trade down.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post
                          Nabers at 5 or Bowers at 11. Then come the trolls.

Comment

Working...
                          X