• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Trestman gave Harbaugh his start as assistant for Raiders.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s different with Shanahan because he’s one of the best playcaller in the league. You’re not going to find someone better as OC. It was a tight game that could have gone either way. I don’t think it’s any different than what McVay did to Wade Phillips after 2019.

Edit: also important to note that Wilks isn’t being fired for the SB. He was a bad choice as DC this year for the Niners.
      When people say Shanahan was outcoached by Andy - are they referring to the defensive out-coaching that Wilks did. I don't know if its right or fair or whatever. I do vividly remember Shanny calling an urgent timeout after Wilks line his defense up in a soft cover 2 with the closest CBs lined up 10 yards off the LOS. he looked pissed by how he was talking into his headset.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
        I know we all trust in Jim but I have to say that I like the defensive hires better than the offensive coaches.

Trestman a bit of a weird one for me. Former CFL guy, has been out of the NFL for quite a while and never had success in NFL as HC or OC
        He wasn't hired here as HC or OC. I wasnt familiar with him but his resume doesnt scream suck to me, sounds like another guy who's done a lot and seen alot to bring another perspective to the coaching staff?:

A 36-year coaching veteran, including 26 in the NFL, Marc Trestman brings his expertise to the Chargers as a senior offensive assistant. One of the top offensive coaches throughout his career, Trestman was the head coach for the Chicago Bears from 2013-14. In his first season with the Bears, he led the offense to rank No. 2 in the NFL in scoring offense, averaging 27.8 points per game. Trestman was a two-time head coach in the CFL, leading the Montreal Alouettes from 2008-12 and Toronto Argonauts from 2017-18. He was twice recognized as CFL Coach of the Year (2009 and 2017) and led his teams to a combined three Grey Cup Championships.

Trestman's most recent NFL appointment was as offensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens, leading the unit from 2015-16. He led the Baltimore offense to rank eighth in passing offense his first season, averaging 266.9 net passing yards per game. Trestman was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders from 2001-03, helping Rich Gannon win MVP in 2002 as the Raiders appeared in Super Bowl XXXVII. An assistant on Trestman's offensive staff, particularly helping with the quarterbacks, was current Chargers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh in his first coaching job following his 15-year playing career. Trestman also was offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for North Carolina State (2005-06), Arizona Cardinals (1998-2000), San Francisco 49ers (1995-96) and Cleveland Browns (1988-89). He has coached quarterbacks for the Detroit Lions (1997), Minnesota Vikings (1990-91), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987) and University of Miami (1983-84), while also coaching running backs
        (sorry cut off the last sentence or tw
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
          I know we all trust in Jim but I have to say that I like the defensive hires better than the offensive coaches.

Trestman a bit of a weird one for me. Former CFL guy, has been out of the NFL for quite a while and never had success in NFL as HC or OC
          The defensive hires are mostly college guys from Michigan while the offensive guys are NFL retreads essentially. The biggest question mark for me is not only Greg Roman but also Devlin the OL coach.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

When people say Shanahan was outcoached by Andy - are they referring to the defensive out-coaching that Wilks did. I don't know if it’s waright or fair or whatever. I do vividly remember Shanny calling an urgent timeout after Wilks line his defense up in a soft cover 2 with the closest CBs lined up 10 yards off the LOS. he looked pissed by how he was talking into his headset.
            It wasn’t a good scheme fit hire because they wanted him to run Saleh and Ryan’s scheme instead of his own. Kyle should never have hired him in the first place.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Here is the current but by no mean final list.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The defensive hires are mostly college guys from Michigan while the offensive guys are NFL retreads essentially. The biggest question mark for me is not only Greg Roman but also Devlin the OL coach.
                Hmmm.
                Your mention of Mike Devlin got me having a looksey.
                He coached Sam Mustapher in Baltimore
                and Michael Deiter in Houston.
                These are ~ 27 year old backup Centers who are free agents.

Mustapher is a Gap-Power type.
                6'2" 330#.
                React to me TPB Scouts.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

It’s different with Shanahan because he’s one of the best playcaller in the league. You’re not going to find someone better as OC. It was a tight game that could have gone either way. I don’t think it’s any different than what McVay did to Wade Phillips after 2019.

Edit: also important to note that Wilks isn’t being fired for the SB. He was a bad choice as DC this year for the Niners.
                  Chokes in the big games.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Harbaugh is both. A Michigan college coach and NFL retread out of the NFL the last 9 years Probably why he doesn't see them as bad things.
                    Devlin was the Ravens asst OL coach.They're a good OL and it's likely brother John recommended him for the promotion.
                    I think the connections are important to Jim. in organizing a TEAM.
                    It'll be interesting to see if Jim knows what he's doing.
                    I think so but I'm always pro Chargers so you can take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Chokes in the big games.
                      At least he gets there. More than Reid did earlier in his career. It’s just unfortunate that Shanahan had to face off against a team with Brady and Mahomes as their QB.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Convinced Chargers will have at least 2 new blocking TEs come training camp. Good 18 minute video on Harbaugh's scheme in SF and Michigan.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          Trestman gave Harbaugh his start as assistant for Raiders.

TG
                          Harbaugh is a loyal mfr

Comment

Working...
                          X