Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
    Lamar won an MVP under Roman because he ran for more yardage than most running backs In the few years after that teams started figuring out the Baltimore running game and Lamar started sucking as a passer so they ran Roman outta town and brought in Monken and all the sudden Lamar looks like a different qb, literally. Monken had him staying comfortably in the pocket and making solid reads.

Who’s our punter anyway? I hope his legs are well rested cuz he’s gonna wear that punting leg out once the season starts.
    They also upgraded LJs weaponry.
    P1. Block Destruction
    P2. Shocking Effort
    P3. Ball Disruption
    P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

End result of Monken and Lamar was pretty familiar. Choked when it mattered most. Both of them. In the words of Michael Scott, not sure Roman was the true 'escape goat" for the Lamar Ravens not ever getting over the hump.

I think our team is going to be vastly better, even with a lot of the same roster, because the coaching will be so much better. Even if you don't like Roman, I think he is far superior to Joe Lombardi and the version of Kellen Moore we got last season. And Minter is going to be far superior to Staley. The OL coach cannot be worse than Nugent was. It's just not possible. Sanjay is a really, really good WR coach. Clinkscale is unproven at NFL level but was a great secondary coach in college. Could go on and on but of course the ultimate capper is that Harbaugh is a for real NFL HC and we have not had one since Marty.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I think our team is going to be vastly better, even with a lot of the same roster, because the coaching will be so much better. Even if you don't like Roman, I think he is far superior to Joe Lombardi and the version of Kellen Moore we got last season. And Minter is going to be far superior to Staley. The OL coach cannot be worse than Nugent was. It's just not possible. Sanjay is a really, really good WR coach. Clinkscale is unproven at NFL level but was a great secondary coach in college. Could go on and on but of course the ultimate capper is that Harbaugh is a for real NFL HC and we have not had one since Marty.

TG
        This fanbase has been spoiled by those Marty teams. Not saying that HC wasn't a problem, it was. But it's been the scapegoat way too much. For years we hear how the team has talent and how good they will be or win the SB, only to fall flat on their face. For years ownership got the hate, until they proved everyone wrong about the stigma they had. The biggest problem was GM. Telesco's way of operating is why the team never got over the hump.

Staley calling the plays on defense and not giving them over and having a real DC became his undoing. A GM that isn't soft like Telesco would have told Staley to do things differently. Or would have let guys like Anthony Lynn and Mike Mccoy know that they need to do better. TT letting the HC do whatever they wanted was the problem.

The roster is lacking in spots. I've had my fair share of mediocre players or even crappy ones occupying the roster.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

when was the last time Chargers even sniffed "the hump"

I'd love to be stuck at not getting over "the hump" vs what we witnessed previous years.

So if Jim Harbaugh Greg Roman and Jesse Minter get us to the playoffs consistently every year I would be stoked. Cant win the SB if you are not invited to the dance

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Lamar won an MVP under Roman because he ran for more yardage than most running backs In the few years after that teams started figuring out the Baltimore running game and Lamar started sucking as a passer so they ran Roman outta town and brought in Monken and all the sudden Lamar looks like a different qb, literally. Monken had him staying comfortably in the pocket and making solid reads.

Who’s our punter anyway? I hope his legs are well rested cuz he’s gonna wear that punting leg out once the season starts.
            He threw 12 less TDs and 1 more INT last year vs 2019. He was a poor passing QB in 2019, in 4 years since he has developed to the point he’s an average passing QB.

He ran for more yards last year than most RBs too.

2023 was also the first year he had legit receivers. Jmo
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2024
              • Send PM

I understand what you’re saying but it didn’t quite happen as dramatic as this. Greg Roman developed an offensive scheme to take advantage of Lamar’s strengths while at the same time allowing Lamar to grow as an NFL passer yet making sure Baltimore could be a competitive winning team. You could argue that Greg slow played Lamar’s growth a little but the front office didn’t seriously address the Receiver position until recently when they felt Lamar had grown into an adequate enough passer that could lead the team through the air if needed.

I disagree they ran Greg out of town because Monken still used Greg Roman run game concepts. Sometimes in sports you just need a different voice as the current one gets a little stale. True be told, I think if Baltimore had Greg Roman calling plays against the Chiefs in last year’s AFC Championship game. It’s very likely that Lamar would have appeared in his first Super Bowl. I was confused by Monken’s game plan and thought he abandoned the run way too soon and got pass happy in his play calling when he really didn’t need to because the game was still in reach. Especially, in the 2nd half when their defense shut out KC.

I also think people are reading a little too much into thinking this team is simply going to Run first, Run second, Run third, Pass. It’s going to be more balanced and run game strategic not run game reliant. Herbert is not early stage Lamar in his development. Herbert also is not the runner Lamar is and we will still be a passing team, it will just look different. I can see at least 5-6 screens a game which is an extension of the running game. Getting the ball out quick to your playmakers by getting them in space and making the DLine chase laterally which will assist in wearing them down thus helping the line as the game progresses.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2024
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

A majority of top starting LTs came from the first. OGs, C, RTs are found anywhere. Sorta. 2023 examples:

KC- LT Taylor D2 Jax- LG Thuney D3 NE- C Humphrey D2 KC- RG Smith D6 KC - RT Niang D3 KC

Bal- LT Stanley D1 Bal- LG Cleveland D3 Bal- C Linderbaum D1 Bal- RG Zeitler D1 Cin- RT Moses D3 Was.

With our current roster, C would be my top OL priority in the 2nd or 3rd

LAC- Salyer D!, Johnson D!, Bozeman D6 Bal, Salyer D6, Pipkins D3

I like playmaker early '24. We went OL in D1 2 outa last three. The worst thing about our 2023 OL was the coaching. That's definitely 180 changed.
                Sonorajim,

I’m curious as to your thoughts specific to the bolded part.
                Do you believe in Mike Devlin, Nick Hardwick and Jim Harbaugh’s offensive line evaluations? I’m asking because Coach Harbaugh said this about McFadden when asked about the Center position in a press conference on March 25th.
                “He’s got versatility. He’s got the athleticism. He’s got the feet. He’s got the intelligence and the intangibles.”.
                Now keep in mind McFadden has never played the Center position. This was spoken at a press conference where the coaches couldn’t even evaluate McFadden on the field yet at the position. This was evaluated from just the traits they are looking for.

So if you trust the staff do you think a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round is still necessary?

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  I dont know if this is new or what but im seeing it today very recently so thought id post it.

Rockford, Ted Lasso and Curb Your Enthusiasm are top 3. All great shows.

I wonder if anyone was paying attention to when Harbaugh and Roman were talking. There was some really good stuff to glean from their conversation if you were paying attention. In short, Harbaugh was using several offensive schemes while at Michigan from Roman's Stanford and Raven's days. I think the word Harbaugh used was "diabolical". They are going to run a lot of the same stuff with the Chargers just with a few wrinkles. Don't tell me the Chargers arn't going to be draft Michigan players. I think they will be drafting a lot more Michigan players then people realize.
                  1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                  2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                  2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                  3a- #66 Puni OT
                  3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                  4a- #105 Rice WR
                  4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                  5- #140 Green CB
                  6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I wonder if anyone was paying attention to when Harbaugh and Roman were talking. There was some really good stuff to glean from their conversation if you were paying attention. In short, Harbaugh was using several offensive schemes while at Michigan from Roman's Stanford and Raven's days. I think the word Harbaugh used was "diabolical". They are going to run a lot of the same stuff with the Chargers just with a few wrinkles. Don't tell me the Chargers arn't going to be draft Michigan players. I think they will be drafting a lot more Michigan players then people realize.
                    I heard that portion, too. Roman said he was doing things that were outside the norm and Harbaugh agreed and called him diabolical. I think this team will run a lot more (which is a low bar!) than they have in recent years and will be more commited to the run. But I am very excited to see the against the grain, innovative plays, formations and game plans that Roman comes up with. Casual observers look at stats and say Roman was boring in Baltimore. But watching the games, I see how creative he has been in using formations, motion, play calls etc inside the run game to achieve that success. Just watch the Dobbins highlights in his welcome thread and even in that sample what I am talking about can be seen. Roman is different than Marty and doesn't just run the same power play over and over and over and dare the other team to stop it. He is very creative and he seems to be able to work around the talent he has to get the most of them. The season he coached Jackson to the MVP, Jackson was a very poor passing QB, inaccurate, could not read the whole field, was a slow processor and Roman worked around it.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Sonorajim,

I’m curious as to your thoughts specific to the bolded part.
                      Do you believe in Mike Devlin, Nick Hardwick and Jim Harbaugh’s offensive line evaluations? I’m asking because Coach Harbaugh said this about McFadden when asked about the Center position in a press conference on March 25th.
                      “He’s got versatility. He’s got the athleticism. He’s got the feet. He’s got the intelligence and the intangibles.”.
                      Now keep in mind McFadden has never played the Center position. This was spoken at a press conference where the coaches couldn’t even evaluate McFadden on the field yet at the position. This was evaluated from just the traits they are looking for.

So if you trust the staff do you think a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round is still necessary?
                      Thanks for asking.
                      I don't feel strongly regards "necessary". Bozeman is good enough for the immediate need. IF he gets dinged early season, McFadden's lack of experience probably means Jaimes gets the backup slot.
                      Zak Fraser is a bad ass, aggressive C/G who can start and play well today. "Prudent" might be a better choice of words.
                      I had the same thought as Jim regards McFadden but he's raw. So- I dunno.
                      I do believe Frasier can start at either G or C and be the kind of OL we want day one.
                      For me it's "maybe" or "definitely". Coach may have a different opinion.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

I also think people are reading a little too much into thinking this team is simply going to Run first, Run second, Run third, Pass. It’s going to be more balanced and run game strategic not run game reliant. Herbert is not early stage Lamar in his development. Herbert also is not the runner Lamar is and we will still be a passing team, it will just look different. I can see at least 5-6 screens a game which is an extension of the running game. Getting the ball out quick to your playmakers by getting them in space and making the DLine chase laterally which will assist in wearing them down thus helping the line as the game progresses.
                        Boy this forum is in for a rude awakening. Roman getting run outta town for an ineffective passing game in Baltimore is nothing new. In 2015 he was the OC in Buffalo and got fired & replaced by ANTHONY LYNN!!! This is what Lynn had to say when he got hired, "I want to be explosive down the field... We're going to play a little bit faster and see if we can put a little pressure on the defense." The Buffalo offense improved a ton under Lynn - enough that he was named interim HC when Rex Ryan got fired. What Lynn did with that buffalo offense is largely why he got hired here. When an Anthony Lynn called offense is an immediate upgrade to offensive explosiveness and passing game you know you got problems.

All of the NFL offenses that looked decent with Roman featured running QBs. Herbert doesn't run near as well as Lamar Jackson, or Kaepernick, or even Alex Smith. He's comparable to Tyrod Taylor who was the QB in Buffalo when he got fired. A Greg Roman offense with a traditional dropback QB is a puntfest waiting to happen.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Maybe....if it works out but i dont think they are going in with that thought process. Other players are capable of doing what they want to do as well and several players in this draft are likely players JH tried to recruit. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X