• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Charger fans and pundits just don't get it. Hey fans...the pieces were in place.

I'm just saying that Jerry Jones has 3 pieces not in place. The Chargers have one. ONE.

Jerry Jones might yield and ramp things upward by signing his disgruntled players, there by, upping the ante for owners who want to sustain a good thing.

The Spanos' view?

"fight for LA". Fight? How? Fight but not yield on ONE holdout?

Good for you Charger organization. Good for you. As a "fan" I feel a bit concerned.

Reply from this organization..."we will do fine with what we got now, trust us." Rivers may have to pass more. We'll be fine".
    Okle dokie. Pop Corn! Get your latest pop corn.
    U cave to one holdout asking for ridiculous $$$, then it spreads like cancer...

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

U cave to one holdout asking for ridiculous $$$, then it spreads like cancer...
      Spoken from an owners viewpoint? Or about a player raising the ante?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Owner's viewpoint. Also a lot of fans agree. U can't pay everyone ridiculous $$$. At some point, need to pick and choose. RB's like MG3 are more easily replaceable than a good edge rusher like Boss...

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

From a Team salary cap viewpoint. It's foolish to think the owners don't pay out in football. There is a salary cap and floor. This isn't baseball.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

That may be the character about the Spanos'. Gotta keep the bottom line in mind. For the good of?...

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post

How well did the Chargers do when Gordon was out just last year? IIRC, they were 4-0 without him, proving he's not that badly needed anymore (if ever).

As much as I would love to see him here, he simply wants out. The very last thing you need is a Le'Veon Bell situation, where it infects and sinks the whole team.

They don't have the room to keep him, might as well get something for him now.
              They certainly were, with 2 of those games played on the road in Pitts and KC. Gordon played in 12 games and we lost a third of those. So I fail to see how he is such an irreplaceable piece that drives the offense.

Comment

• SYB
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

That may be the character about the Spanos'. Gotta keep the bottom line in mind. For the good of?...
                It's funny that your entire argument uses the Cowboys as an example, however, they haven't offered an exorbitant contract to any of their players and have openly stated that they're not looking to set the market with their deals. So why is Jerry being so cheap, does he not want to win?

And if you think that MG is worth more than the $10mil per year they reportedly offered, you need your head checked. Overpaying guys off of 1 good season that have a long history of missing games is how you sink a franchise and lose your job.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

It's funny that your entire argument uses the Cowboys as an example, however, they haven't offered an exorbitant contract to any of their players and have openly stated that they're not looking to set the market with their deals. So why is Jerry being so cheap, does he not want to win?

And if you think that MG is worth more than the $10mil per year they reportedly offered, you need your head checked. Overpaying guys off of 1 good season that have a long history of missing games is how you sink a franchise and lose your job.
                  I agree that the Chargers' reported offer is about what MG is worth. But I disagree that MG has had just 1 good season. He was a thousand yard rusher in 2016 & 17 and he scored 12 total TDs in both seasons. He has had three pretty good seasons in a row.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Jones blinks first. He's 195 years old and has the bucks.

Comment

• SYB
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      I agree that the Chargers' reported offer is about what MG is worth. But I disagree that MG has had just 1 good season. He was a thousand yard rusher in 2016 & 17 and he scored 12 total TDs in both seasons. He has had three pretty good seasons in a row.
                      He wasn't though. '17 and '16 were solid years, but hardly anything to get excited about, and last year was the first that he exceeded 3.9 ypc. He's simply not top 5 talent and yet was offered a deal that would currently pay him as such. The team has been more than fair to him.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

He wasn't though. '17 and '16 were solid years, but hardly anything to get excited about, and last year was the first that he exceeded 3.9 ypc. He's simply not top 5 talent and yet was offered a deal that would currently pay him as such. The team has been more than fair to him.
                        His 2017 rushing total was 7th best in the league. In 2016 he was 7th. In 2017 his 12 total TDs was 4th best. In 2016 his 12 TDs was tied for 7th. He has consistently been one of the best RBs in the league since his sophomore season. He has not on Gurley's level or Elliot's, but his 38 total TDs and his dual threat ability (he has averaged 461 yards receiving the past three seasons) make him a top back who has performed consistently over his past three seasons, even with his injuries. He has made the Pro Bowl in two of the last three seasons. I don't think he is worth what he is seeking and I believe he should jump at what the Chargers are (reportedly) offering. But I hate it when fans denigrate good players over contract disputes. I'm sorry, I just think to say he's had just one good year is not accurate.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

The bottom line? The salary cap is the cap.
                          They are factoring in MGIII value to the team at his position while looking forward to many of players whom are also due new contracts.

If you are the owner, GM, coach, etc what value and PRIORITY do you put on players and the positions they play?
                          If you can only sign 3 of the 4 listed to top end contracts who do you prioritize? Who is more easily replaceable?

Rivers, Bosa, Henry, MGIII
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X