• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

The bottom line? The salary cap is the cap.
    They are factoring in MGIII value to the team at his position while looking forward to many of players whom are also due new contracts.

If you are the owner, GM, coach, etc what value and PRIORITY do you put on players and the positions they play?
    If you can only sign 3 of the 4 listed to top end contracts who do you prioritize? Who is more easily replaceable?

Rivers, Bosa, Henry, MGIII
    GM and owner Jerry Jones is about to turn into dust. I expect all three will be signed. Heh... "You can't take it with you."

Last edited by Caslon; 08-24-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      His 2017 rushing total was 7th best in the league. In 2016 he was 7th. In 2017 his 12 total TDs was 4th best. In 2016 his 12 TDs was tied for 7th. He has consistently been one of the best RBs in the league since his sophomore season. He has not on Gurley's level or Elliot's, but his 38 total TDs and his dual threat ability (he has averaged 461 yards receiving the past three seasons) make him a top back who has performed consistently over his past three seasons, even with his injuries. He has made the Pro Bowl in two of the last three seasons. I don't think he is worth what he is seeking and I believe he should jump at what the Chargers are (reportedly) offering. But I hate it when fans denigrate good players over contract disputes. I'm sorry, I just think to say he's had just one good year is not accurate.
      How am I denigrating him? I'm simply pointing out what he's done. I said he isn't top 5 even though he's being given an offer in line with that. And as you pointed out rushing wise, he's finished 7th in '17, incorrectly stated 7th in '16 as it was really 13th (behind Grampa Gore) and left out his injury shortened 17th last year. At least in TD's he's actually cracked top 5 status a couple of times. My point was that his output so far isn't good enough for someone who feels they warrant a contract in line with what he's asking for.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

There are guys who are overpaid and underpaid all across every roster in the NFL

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

I get it. Pay the man !!!
          :stirringshit: :lol:

We'll see how it goes without him if he does indeed sit out. There might be a lot of people in agreement around week five or six.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            There are guys who are overpaid and underpaid all across every roster in the NFL
            But why would you intentionally overpay?

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

From a Team salary cap viewpoint. It's foolish to think the owners don't pay out in football. There is a salary cap and floor. This isn't baseball.
              This has always been my stance. You can't blame ownership for being cheap about contracts. They have to fit an entire team under the cap. Overpaying for 1, bumps another. & they can't just pull a Marlins situation & throw out a bunch of minor leaguers to save $, because there are rules against that, too. Gordon overplayed his hand. Plain & simple.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Whatever. Spanii have never loaded up and rolled over large unspent cap space. You're narrative is BS on this one. Why should the Chargers cave to overspend on a good but not great RB (of all positions). He has had 1 above avg year rushing the ball. no thanks. I would rather go committee this year, Gordon week 10 on, and draft a RB in next years deep crop. If the individual RB is so important and it is not just the system, how did the Steelers only have 7.5 total ypg less production by the rb position group than with Bell the year before. How did KC replace Hunt's production with a guy Williams that they signed off the street? How did the Rams make it to the SB without a healthy Gurley. How do the Pats and Eagles win the SB with a committee? Spending bug cash at RB at the expense of other more premium positions is a BAD strategy.
                A better OL will fix any running game.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

How am I denigrating him? I'm simply pointing out what he's done. I said he isn't top 5 even though he's being given an offer in line with that. And as you pointed out rushing wise, he's finished 7th in '17, incorrectly stated 7th in '16 as it was really 13th (behind Grampa Gore) and left out his injury shortened 17th last year. At least in TD's he's actually cracked top 5 status a couple of times. My point was that his output so far isn't good enough for someone who feels they warrant a contract in line with what he's asking for.
                  Sorry dude. I got a little overly defensive there. We good?:larry:

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    I expected him to finish out his very reasonable contract, $5.6 mil is 10th for RBs, another show me year after how last season ended seems fair to both sides. A big contract next year after he kills it for 16+ games!!!

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

OMG, the inequity of it all. Hee hee.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

The Charger owners are looking forward to moving into their new diggs next season. With or without paying big bucks to one holdout.
                        Don't wanna set a precedence, leave that to Jerry.

Simple math tells you the Chargers aren't the same 2018 team with Ekelar and tandem RB buddy Jackson.

Translation? Rivers will have to throw it more. Translation? He'd rather not have to.

What, us worry? Says the ownership. You better.

There are his stats which can be construed every which way, and still are. Ekelar and Jackson don't a Melvin Gordon make. Get that straight.
                        Last edited by Caslon; 08-24-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Gordon is good. Not $10 mil good, but still good. He doesn't want to play for $10 mil that's on him.

Comment

Working...
                          X