• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    No CHarger player did all that well in the NE game. It is a horrible mistake to make roster decisions based on one game, for any position, let alone pass rushers. Pass rushers are always going to have games where they don't put up sacks and that includes the best of them.

The downside on Bosa is that he lacks the elite movement skills to run past OT. He is a technique guy, so there are some guys who he won't get past.

The upside is the guy is a high energy player. There is a very different energy on the D when he is playing. While some people use the idea of a TECHNIQUE pass rusher as a negative, as long as a player has the kind of movement skills Bosa does, he is always going to put up numbers. Maybe not Von Miller career year numbers, but always a decent level. And as far as the pass rush production vs elite OT, remember the speed guys struggle vs them too. THe elite guys are elite for a reason. Those guys struggle just as much as the technique guys do, maybe more.

Ultimately, we need to pay him close to top dollar, but not necessarily top dollar. Again, find our line in the sand, and set it. Sell him on the other virtues of being a CHarger. If he signs and leaves money for other guys, he will still be getting HUGE money by any reasonable standards and get the chance to play on a good team. And ask how many guys get the big money then end up playing on really shitty teams for years. We have put the pieces around him to help him excel and win a championship. We just have to find a way to follow through as the last pieces are in place .
    All good points, Steve, but I think if a player like Bosa demands top $$$, a lot of us would like to see the following:

1. Stay mostly injury free--I realize he can't control injuries, but if you're missing a lot of games, it should affect your market value
    2. Play well, especially in playoff games when the team is counting on you

I wouldn't base any decision on a player's performance in just one game; however, a big fat contract should take performance in important games into consideration as one of the factors in determining Return on Investment...

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

The good thing is we have 2 full seasons to see how Bosa plays and holds up before we have to make any decisions on him. Having said that, if he plays at a high level and stays healthy this season I'd prefer we extend him before next season and get that out of the way.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        Bosa's sacks/game ratio is pretty good (28.5/35). That's right up there with the leagues elite... not to mention he plays the run real well for a DE. He's our best player on defense, when healthy. If I were TT, I'd pay him top-5 dollar. TT paid Melvin Ingram $18 million/year and his sacks/game ratio is 42/93. It is interesting that Bosa/Ingram/Okung contracts all expire at the same time...

Melvin Gordon plays a position that is under-valued and under-appreciated at the moment. It's a young man's position that gets lots of wear/tear. A RB is lucky to get 7 quality years in the NFL. And they have to rely on the OL in front of them. Look how well Jame Conner did behind Steelers OL last year. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to pay a RB big money, long term.

The smart money would be to draft an OT and a DE early this next year. Move on from Okung's and Ingram's contract after 2020... sign your younger guy (Bosa) with the money you save.
        That seems like TT's plan to me.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'll agree with this, image.pngBosa chooses to sign with us. He may not want top 5 $$$. He may want top 3, 2 or 1 $$$...
          Joey will be the HIGHEST paid defender when he signs his contract.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Weird for a guy who can be neutralized by a single blocker, happens a lot.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Weird for a guy who can be neutralized by a single blocker, happens a lot.
              Are you talking about Joey, Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Von Miller, who?
              Any defender can be depending on their opponent, scheme, and in game play calling.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Too true. Just seems teams leave Joey up against a single blocker a lot of the time, and rarely do I recall Joey beating it. He does, but just dunno I'd call him a top 5 defender in the league. He's not even the top defender on the Bolts lol.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Too true. Just seems teams leave Joey up against a single blocker a lot of the time, and rarely do I recall Joey beating it. He does, but just dunno I'd call him a top 5 defender in the league. He's not even the top defender on the Bolts lol.
                  We see differently when watching Joey.
                  He needs to stay/be healthy but when he is on the field his impact is dramatic.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I dunno, I think his drama comes and goes.

Really looking forward to him wrecking it this season.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We see differently when watching Joey.
                      Absolutely. Same as when watching Brees!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Bosa is hard to double because of where we align him. If you put someone over to double Bosa, then Ingram is left to run around the OT in space, and most teams don't want that. We also move Bosa around more and get him inside, which also makes it hard, because you are forced to change the play to get the correct protection.

LIke it has been said, he might not be the best defender we have, but he is a great player and at some point teams have to beat our players with their players.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          The good thing is we have 2 full seasons to see how Bosa plays and holds up before we have to make any decisions on him. Having said that, if he plays at a high level and stays healthy this season I'd prefer we extend him before next season and get that out of the way.
                          He'll hold out like Donald and Gordon if he doesn't get an extension next year. Don't think he's going to play on the 5th year option. Judging this based on history and his agent.

Comment

Working...
                          X