Clear All
  • floydefisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • siberiacuse, ny
    • Send PM

ling
    Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    The Charger owners are looking forward to moving into their new diggs next season. With or without paying big bucks to one holdout.
    Don't wanna set a precedence, leave that to Jerry.

Simple math tells you the Chargers aren't the same 2018 team with Ekelar and tandem RB buddy Jackson.

Translation? Rivers will have to throw it more. Translation? He'd rather not have to.

What, us worry? Says the ownership. You better.

There are his stats which can be construed every which way, and still are. Ekelar and Jackson don't a Melvin Gordon make. Get that straight.
    The Bolts currently only have like $10 million in cap room, meaning someone is going to have to go to pay him.

Who are you willing to part with?
    sigpic

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Drama? In a Bolts forum? Never!

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hasn't Bosa missed as much time ... game for game ... as MG? Only difference is the Chargers didn't need to get a note from Melvin's mom allowing him to play again. And didn't he hold out for a stupid petty difference in timing of payouts in his rookie deal?

I don't know why the forum is so certain Bosa will even sign with the Cnarges. Bosas care about Bosas as far as I can tell.
        He has missed about the same amount of time. He is just much more productive. Again, the other issue is that an average RB is nearly as productive as Gordon is, while only top-notch pass rushers are even close to Bosa. Add into the number of game-clinching plays Bosa makes (think Cleveland 2 years ago).

There is no guarantee he will sign. As far as I can tell, he is pretty much in a similar boat. Bosa is a technician pass rusher and teams prefer to give the top-dollar contracts to the guys with blazing speed, which Bosa doesn't have. It will be interesting to see the contract thing after Bosa has his 5th-year deal.

To me, no matter what player it is, you set the price, make the offer and then that is that. If they leave they leave. The top-notch teams that win championships do so because they are strong rosters top to bottom. We need to keep drafting, signing street FA depth and keep adding it. We might lose Bosa, but Nwosu, Egbuke, Ingram, Lanier, Rochell, Tillery and Broughton as a group will be better than just having Bosa, no matter how well he plays. They are better with him, but we still need a lot of quality players, and the exponential salary increase thing the NFL has makes keeping elite players almost impossible.

What we need to do is keep building the franchise to the point that players will do the NE thing to stay. Players stay in NE and give up money because they know they have a chance to win a championship. We aren't there yet, but we are getting close to there.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He has missed about the same amount of time. He is just much more productive. Again, the other issue is that an average RB is nearly as productive as Gordon is, while only top-notch pass rushers are even close to Bosa. Add into the number of game-clinching plays Bosa makes (think Cleveland 2 years ago).

There is no guarantee he will sign. As far as I can tell, he is pretty much in a similar boat. Bosa is a technician pass rusher and teams prefer to give the top-dollar contracts to the guys with blazing speed, which Bosa doesn't have. It will be interesting to see the contract thing after Bosa has his 5th-year deal.

To me, no matter what player it is, you set the price, make the offer and then that is that. If they leave they leave. The top-notch teams that win championships do so because they are strong rosters top to bottom. We need to keep drafting, signing street FA depth and keep adding it. We might lose Bosa, but Nwosu, Egbuke, Ingram, Lanier, Rochell, Tillery and Broughton as a group will be better than just having Bosa, no matter how well he plays. They are better with him, but we still need a lot of quality players, and the exponential salary increase thing the NFL has makes keeping elite players almost impossible.

What we need to do is keep building the franchise to the point that players will do the NE thing to stay. Players stay in NE and give up money because they know they have a chance to win a championship. We aren't there yet, but we are getting close to there.
          ^ This. Yep, make a fair offer to Boss, but don't mortgage your future. Who knows? Maybe Broughton or Peace turn into something special...

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Keep opening this expecting to see he's been traded, lol.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I agree 100% Bosa is much more important. Much harder to replace. much more critical to success. No contest there. I'm not sure he'll be open to a Charger negotiation without testing the top $ FA market, so the save cap money for Bosa may turn out to be mute. We'll see.

I'd love to have MG back in camp and playing. I don't think he's even worth $10M, never mind the $13M he's never going to get anywhere ever. He's gotten really bad advice, and now seems dug in. But things change, sometimes in a blink. I'll welcome him back.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree 100% Bosa is much more important. Much harder to replace. much more critical to success. No contest there. I'm not sure he'll be open to a Charger negotiation without testing the top $ FA market, so the save cap money for Bosa may turn out to be mute. We'll see.

I'd love to have MG back in camp and playing. I don't think he's even worth $10M, never mind the $13M he's never going to get anywhere ever. He's gotten really bad advice, and now seems dug in. But things change, sometimes in a blink. I'll welcome him back.
                Bosa held out when his salary and signing bonus was slotted and non negotiable. For his next contract he won't be bound by those restrictions and that will make it harder. By far. My prediction is that Bosa will want to be paid Donald/Mack money regardless of whether his stats warrant it.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

And we will sadly be draftin a DE first instead of a tackle.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Bosa has to play 16 games and have a significant impact this season in order to demand top money next season. He didn't have much of an impact last season, even after returning from his foot, and he was a non-factor in the biggest game of the year. He is only going to get top money if he shows this year he is an impact player who can change games.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      And we will sadly be draftin a DE first instead of a tackle.
                      LOL...wow, u could be right, Gang...imagine...another blue chipper, this time a DE falls to us at #29 or so...then there's no decent OT's in round 2, but there IS a highly rated QB we take...then we end up picking a developmental Pip 2.0 in round 3....oh, well...

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

It's likely that Bosa will be next years holdout.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Bosa has to play 16 games and have a significant impact this season in order to demand top money next season. He didn't have much of an impact last season, even after returning from his foot, and he was a non-factor in the biggest game of the year. He is only going to get top money if he shows this year he is an impact player who can change games.
                          Good point...and remember how Boss disappeared in the Cheatriots playoff game? If he wants to get paid, I wanna see at least ONE sack of Brady and several pressures...otherwise, not a very good ROI...

Comment

Working...
                          X