• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I think that the most likely scenario is that he will be traded before training camp begins to an NFC team (probably GB or TB) to "get him out of the conference". Unless someone in the AFC makes a better offer (Hou or Buff). Either way, I think his time as a Charger is over. If he does play for us in 2019, I don't see how he could be on our roster in 2020.

The fact that this is being dragged out in the media tells me that the sides are most likely irreconcilably far apart. The Chargers have probably already made their "best offer" and Gordon was insulted. The Chargers front office won't cave to his demands and set a precedent that could be used against them in negotiations in the near future. Gordon has simply overpriced his worth to the Chargers. Rock meets hard place.

Hopefully TT is fielding offers and ultimately goes with the best one. I thing that our current stable of RBs will be just fine. Jackson as the starter, Ekeler the 3rd down back, Newsome spells Jackson late in the game (when we're up by multiple TDs), and Cox is the goal line/short yardage power back.
    It's in the best interest of the Charger organization to have him play this year, franchise tag him next year, & then let him walk. That's what they want to do. People here want to trade Gordon, but the Chargers won't get much for him in return. A quality starting offensive linemen - come on! Gordon rightly doesn't want to sit back and let this play out. His leverage with the Chargers is at it's highest right now - the Chargers are unprepared to lose him. If the 'honorable' path was taken by Gordon, the Chargers would have returned his good faith by drafting a running back high in the NFL draft next year.

Let's not be naive about the process and the cold blooded nature of the business.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

It would behoove MG if he sprang outta the gate with respectable stats. He didn't, Altho he came on this past year.

One year out of three. That qualifies you to demand respect? One year out of three? So soon you demand that?

It makes me appreciate Weddle and his departure. At least he was here for a long while and played solid before griping and wanting.

You sir, are griping and demading things after ONE year of solid stats. ONE YEAR! It makes me now sympathize with Weddle and his situation with the Chargers and a long term contract. Weddle produced for years and years before he griped.

Gordon? One year of solid stats....and it took you two years getting there.

Audacious are you? Maybe?

Don't get yourself shortchanged, I'm up with that...but but but
      Actually, in Weddle's last season with us, his stats really took a nosedive. Tackles were down, passes defensed down, and no picks at all. And he was getting older, near 30, on the decline, at the end of his second contract. No wonder the Bolts were hesitant to make him a long term bank offer. And Weddle's comments about the Bolts that last year were totally unprofessional.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ericweddle...75/careerstats

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm completely fine with what Gordon is doing. When his agent notified ESPN, it had more to do with alerting other teams who might be interested in a trade deal.
        Negotiating in public means identifying specific aspects of contract negotiations - there hasn't been any of that. Malcontent? Why the hysteria about someone exercising his right to ensure a better future for his family? Football players have a life time of injuries to contend with after they are done.

The way things are arranged right now, by the time a 1rst round runningback gets to finally negotiate a contract to receive market place value, they are on the cusp of decline.
        I think a lot of us are disappointed in Gordon's threat to sit out the year instead of honoring his contract.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          Trade straight up for Bell
          NYJ GM doesn't want to take on that big contract and will be able to negotiate a more reasonable one with MG3
          for us, yes it's a big contract but Bell would put us over the top.
          championship year!
          Only one problem with that one. We don't have cap room for Bell's $50+ mil contract...precisely the reason why they're not making a crazy offer to Gordie...
          Last edited by Topcat; 07-12-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It's in the best interest of the Charger organization to have him play this year, franchise tag him next year, & then let him walk. That's what they want to do. People here want to trade Gordon, but the Chargers won't get much for him in return. A quality starting offensive linemen - come on! Gordon rightly doesn't want to sit back and let this play out. His leverage with the Chargers is at it's highest right now - the Chargers are unprepared to lose him. If the 'honorable' path was taken by Gordon, the Chargers would have returned his good faith by drafting a running back high in the NFL draft next year.

Let's not be naive about the process and the cold blooded nature of the business.
            What if Gordon sits out?

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Kinda echoing what I said above but he isn't making league minimum. If he gets injured and never plays another snap of football he's going to be set for life. He needs to go to Camp Pendleton and get some perspective on people who actually risk their body for next to nothing.

I get that nfl players live in a fairytale land where 5 million isn't enough to cover you for the rest of your life but it makes me sick to hear a player, who isn't a fa (that's a honest negotiation), whining about making 5 million.

Anyway, I get it. It's the way it is but I don't have to sympathize with them.
              No, you don't have to sympathize with them. You do have to realize that Gordon has not been a die-hard Charger fan his whole life. It's a business & loyalty probably doesn't extend very far beyond their teammates. On a larger scale, there hasn't been any fealty to community on part of a corporation for a long time. It would ironic to be loyal to an organization that ditched their fan base a few years ago.
              Last edited by powderblueboy; 07-12-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I mean they're all greedy for sure. I don't know why everyone tries to deflect from the players being greedy by saying "but look over here the owners are greedy too". They are all greedy but the owners pay close to 50% of the earnings of the league to the players through collective bargaining.

This is is a separate issue of a player having an over 5 million dollar contract in front of him and then demanding more because he might get hurt? He wants guarantees should he get injured? I don't know many people who worry about getting injured after making 5 mil.

This would be like the nfl owners trying to get out of their broadcasting deals a year before because they could make more somewhere else. Not saying owners arent greedy but it's not apples to apples.
                Are both parties greedy? Sure. $5+ mil is an obscene amount for 1 year no doubt. Is it obscene for professional sports? No.
                The owners pay 48.5% (split between 60+ players per team) to players and keep the other over 50% for themselves + most team derived revenue streams. I guess I always side with the "little" guy when talking salary.

I agree the amounts of $ are all in the ridiculous range. Should he forfill his contract? Sure. Is it understandable for him to use his only real leverage? Sure. Should he/agent be doing in the public view? Not in my opinion. Should the Bokts give him a new deal? No, we have more important players coming up for new contracts that are more valuable to the team
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think a lot of us are disappointed in Gordon's threat to sit out the year instead of honoring his contract.
                  I have a question for everyone.

Since he is "under contract" can he sit out the year and be a FA? Will he get credit for the season or still be under the same 5th year option?
                  Does he have to play the last 3rd of the season to end his contract?
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Have no issue with Gordon trying to leverage a new contract.
                    Have no issue with Chargers having an amount they will do and not more than.

Having said that, RB is not a premium position in modern NFL and should not be paid premium money.
                    Gordon's value for Chargers is now as a trade asset to acquire a player and or pick.

If Chargers do pay him a big bag, then they are out of pace with the modern NFL and will regret the expenditure.

Trade him.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Big Dog
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Yup.....that right there.

Plus his timing pisses me off. Right before camp is the cowards way to play it. If you are SO valuable in your own humble opinion, then why all of the double talk, "we'll see" BS earlier in the season? Draw your line and stand your ground. Don't wait like this as you are not playing fair with an organization that has treated you fairly. Fire your agent MG, he is gonna give you a bad rep.
                      What he said ☝️

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I have a question for everyone.

Since he is "under contract" can he sit out the year and be a FA? Will he get credit for the season or still be under the same 5th year option?
                        Does he have to play the last 3rd of the season to end his contract?
                        I'm unclear about this also
                        I also think that we need MG this year if we're going to have a reasonable chance at a superbowl run
                        fourtunately I don't think he'll actually sit-out, just demand a trade, which, if im Telesco I'm more than happy to oblige--in the off-season
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

9ers might be desperate for a legit number 1 rb
                          2020 first round pick?
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment