• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I didnt say sign Gordon. Is that a general question? I do think Gordon is a better RB than both Ek and JJ but we still have the worst OTs in the league. I hope TT does something about that.
    Sorry - the "based on" question was about our RB, not our tackles. I ass u me d that is what you were referring to.

Comment

• PR#1
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      Sign him. I've seen enough of Ek and JJ
      Someone gets it. Pay the man !!!

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        My current likeliest candidates are
        Julie'n Davenport of HOU
        and Halapoulivaati Vaitai of PHI.
        Just guessing.

Davenport has not progressed
        and he is a bit of a carbon copy of Trey Pipkins,
        but he is the one guy there who might be available.
        Apparently HOU now likes Matt Kalil as their short term answer at OLT.

Vaitai, mentioned early by Steve, is someone I like,
        but I am unclear about scheme fit.
        This guy is big and onery,
        with experience + pretty good movement skills.

All at what cost ?
        I think it is Drango or an Okung miracle.

It would be real nice to work Melvin Gordon in,
        due to our stalemate.
        Maybe HOU will bite.
        PHI has Miles Boykin,
        only the best looking rookie,
        along with Chase Winovich.

Miles Sanders. And funny enough, I drafted him and the Pats D, partly because of Winovich, yesterday in one of my fantasy drafts.

Unfortunately, I also drafted Luck. :smh:

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Miles Sanders. And funny enough, I drafted him and the Pats D, partly because of Winovich, yesterday in one of my fantasy drafts.

Unfortunately, I also drafted Luck. :smh:
          Wow, SYB, that sure was tough Luck...

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, SYB, that sure was tough Luck...
            sad rimshot GIF

Comment

• PR#1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              The Charger owners are looking forward to moving into their new diggs next season. With or without paying big bucks to one holdout.
              Don't wanna set a precedence, leave that to Jerry.

Simple math tells you the Chargers aren't the same 2018 team with Ekelar and tandem RB buddy Jackson.

Translation? Rivers will have to throw it more. Translation? He'd rather not have to.

What, us worry? Says the ownership. You better.

There are his stats which can be construed every which way, and still are. Ekelar and Jackson don't a Melvin Gordon make. Get that straight.
              Well said.

Also with the next round of QB signings set to get 40M a year, the salary cap is going to go up as it always does.

There is no need to protect Spanos's pocket book.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Irmo, SC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Someone gets it. Pay the man !!!
                They offered to pay him. 144% of his salary. More than fair, IMO, for a guy who has played 1 full season out of 4. & it's obvious that its fair, because no team is.kickung down our door for a trade & ready to pay him him more than that.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

They offered to pay him. 144% of his salary. More than fair, IMO, for a guy who has played 1 full season out of 4. & it's obvious that its fair, because no team is.kickung down our door for a trade & ready to pay him him more than that.
                  At this point blame Gordon. The money is on the table, or it was, he did not want it.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

At this point blame Gordon. The money is on the table, or it was, he did not want it.
                    Pride can be a foolish thing.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I am not sure what relevance a 144% markup has to do with being "fair". If anything it proves Gordon's point.

Other positions get a much larger bump coming off the rookie deal, than RB do. Bosa will probably more than double. Ingram did. MG3 point has always been that he is underpaid and that RB are underpaid, relative to other positions. And in that sense, he is correct. He is trying to fix the RB market. Good luck Melvin.

The Chargers point is that RB are not worth the extra money. This isn't really about his 1000 yard production or anything like that. If Gordon can stay healthy and be on the field, he will put up a 1000 yard season. He has been on pace for a 1000 yards 3 times in his career. But RB take so much pounding, that it is unlikely he will ever get any better, although it is possible. We have other RB, who need to get playing time. I will never say that Ekeler is a better RB, but he is a similarly explosive player who has out produced MG3. He needs to touch the ball more this season, even if MG3 is back. JJ and Newsome both did a fine job in relief last season. We need them to get some token carries just to develop depth because RB get hurt.

Gordon's camp should be pointing out that in the running and passing game, Gordon creates a high proportion of big, explosive plays given his touches. He is a low level of turnover risk. We also need to improve the 4-minute offense to finish games off, and Mel is perfect for that.

Chargers need to point out that the Chargers need to have a complete team around them. RB by themselves can't control the game to the point of winning games. At the very least they need a good D. Melvin has been hit in the backfield an awful lot, meaning we need to continue to upgrade of the OL. The passing game is going to score the points and move the ball to get us in the playoffs, RB simply don't get enough yards to keep us even with other teams, especially KC.

The free market value for RB puts MG3 in a range below $10 mill per season (IMHO, closer to $8 mil). Mel wants to reset the RB market. Hope another teams helps him do that, but that doesn't change the fact that we have a ton of FA next year and while we have a lot of money, I don't see it stretching far enough to keep everyone we want. It would be horrible to overstretch to retain the most replaceable part of our O.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Irmo, SC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am not sure what relevance a 144% markup has to do with being "fair". If anything it proves Gordon's point.

Other positions get a much larger bump coming off the rookie deal, than RB do. Bosa will probably more than double. Ingram did. MG3 point has always been that he is underpaid and that RB are underpaid, relative to other positions. And in that sense, he is correct. He is trying to fix the RB market. Good luck Melvin.

The Chargers point is that RB are not worth the extra money. This isn't really about his 1000 yard production or anything like that. If Gordon can stay healthy and be on the field, he will put up a 1000 yard season. He has been on pace for a 1000 yards 3 times in his career. But RB take so much pounding, that it is unlikely he will ever get any better, although it is possible. We have other RB, who need to get playing time. I will never say that Ekeler is a better RB, but he is a similarly explosive player who has out produced MG3. He needs to touch the ball more this season, even if MG3 is back. JJ and Newsome both did a fine job in relief last season. We need them to get some token carries just to develop depth because RB get hurt.

Gordon's camp should be pointing out that in the running and passing game, Gordon creates a high proportion of big, explosive plays given his touches. He is a low level of turnover risk. We also need to improve the 4-minute offense to finish games off, and Mel is perfect for that.

Chargers need to point out that the Chargers need to have a complete team around them. RB by themselves can't control the game to the point of winning games. At the very least they need a good D. Melvin has been hit in the backfield an awful lot, meaning we need to continue to upgrade of the OL. The passing game is going to score the points and move the ball to get us in the playoffs, RB simply don't get enough yards to keep us even with other teams, especially KC.

The free market value for RB puts MG3 in a range below $10 mill per season (IMHO, closer to $8 mil). Mel wants to reset the RB market. Hope another teams helps him do that, but that doesn't change the fact that we have a ton of FA next year and while we have a lot of money, I don't see it stretching far enough to keep everyone we want. It would be horrible to overstretch to retain the most replaceable part of our O.
                        Maybe I am misreading, but it seems like you are contradicting your own point. The relevance is, they are willing to give him that DESPITE the RB position being a devalued position in today's game. The fact that other positions are getting a bigger bump seems irrelevant. Bosa will certainly get more than 200% & we will pay it, because if we don't another team will. That's the difference.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Basically Gordon either takes the generous offer or he will be gone next season and we will draft his replacement.Im cool either way but wont be bummed if its the latter as I friggin hate all this bullshit drama the dude has created on my team.

Comment

Working...
                          X