• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If healthy, he'll get somewhere between 8 and 13 million dollars a year as a free agent.
    When I see backs like Burkhead and White, who are making "only" $3-4 mil a year--and remember, the Cheatriots won a SB with these backs, I think, could we win a SB with backs like this? Uh, yes, we can. Are guys like Ekkie, Jackson and Newsome roughly similar or potentially similar to Burks and White? Probably. I'm especially high on Detrez...he's shown a lot the few times he's toted the rock...Jackson and Detrez are the kind of guys that Belicheat could most probably plug into the Cheats system and do about as well as Burks and White...no need to splurge by giving MG3 crazy $$$ like $13 mil a year when we need to save up to keep Boss, for example...now, if Gordon will accept $7-8 mil a year on a 4-year deal with an out after 3 years, I might be convinced, IF the Bolts have enough left over in the Boss reserve fund...
    Last edited by Topcat; 06-16-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

That Gurley contract looks like a huge mistake now.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        That Gurley contract looks like a huge mistake now.
        Yep...I know Gurley is good, but $57 mil, with a $21 mil signing bonus and $45 mil guaranteed sounds like a bit much...at least the Rams left themselves an Addae-like out after 4 years...still, this deal IMO is a bit heavy on the front end...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

The Melvin Gordon contract situation,
          plus the stabilizing of the Oline unit,
          are the main factors that will determine
          the success rate of the 2019 LAC.

It is wait n see for seven long weeks.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            The Melvin Gordon contract situation,
            plus the stabilizing of the Oline unit,
            are the main factors that will determine
            the success rate of the 2019 LAC.

It is wait n see for seven long weeks.
            Gordon's contract situation? Since he is under contract, I'm not sure how that would be one of the main factors affecting this season. Since I am one of the ones lukewarm on resigning him (mostly due to how much he will want), having him in a prove it contract year is not a bad thing.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Gordon's contract situation? Since he is under contract, I'm not sure how that would be one of the main factors affecting this season. Since I am one of the ones lukewarm on resigning him (mostly due to how much he will want), having him in a prove it contract year is not a bad thing.
              We don't know how it will play out. I am thinking in terms of his motivation and of the cap ramifications. I watch with some apprehension.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

We don't know how it will play out. I am thinking in terms of his motivation and of the cap ramifications. I watch with some apprehension.
                Agree wu-dai. He's been a bit equivocal about how he'll react to not getting a contract. He wants it now. If he doesn't get it will he report? Hold out for 1/2 the season?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Guys tend to play better in a contract year, assuming they don't sit out. MG has made some very soft rumbles about not playing - my bet is he does. This is more 2020 and beyond. I agree that $6M/yr won't get a deal done - why would he even think of signing a deal like that now when top RBs make double that much? He can hit FA and either they tag him for top 1-year dollars or he locks in a guaranteed deal >$40M with at least $30M guaranteed (jmo - guessing here like we all are). He won't get Gurly money but it will be >> $6M
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    Guys tend to play better in a contract year, assuming they don't sit out. MG has made some very soft rumbles about not playing - my bet is he does. This is more 2020 and beyond. I agree that $6M/yr won't get a deal done - why would he even think of signing a deal like that now when top RBs make double that much? He can hit FA and either they tag him for top 1-year dollars or he locks in a guaranteed deal >$40M with at least $30M guaranteed (jmo - guessing here like we all are). He won't get Gurly money but it will be >> $6M
                    I smell trouble.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Agree wu-dai. He's been a bit equivocal about how he'll react to not getting a contract. He wants it now. If he doesn't get it will he report? Hold out for 1/2 the season?
                      This cannot help but affect his performance.

I will be surprised if TT gives him the contract Gordon wants.

It is kinda chickenshit, given MGs play so far, but RBs get chewed up, and TT will likely want to wait and reassess later.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Nobody gets the contract they want. But everybody has a minimum they won't go below. What's Gordon's minimum. And what's the Bolt's maximum. I'm hopeful for a solution. Gordon is one of TT's guys, one he traded up to get and one who has performed well. That gives me hope.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

This cannot help but affect his performance.

I will be surprised if TT gives him the contract Gordon wants.

It is kinda chickenshit, given MGs play so far, but RBs get chewed up, and TT will likely want to wait and reassess later.
                          RB has got to be one of the positions with the shortest lifespan in the NFL. These guys take a pounding and MG has already been beaten up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X