• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BearWithJetpack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Trade the malcontent. No room for players who try to negotiate using the public.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
      Trade the malcontent. No room for players who try to negotiate using the public.
      It would behoove MG if he sprang outta the gate with respectable stats. He didn't, Altho he came on this past year.

One year out of three. That qualifies you to demand respect? One year out of three? So soon you demand that?

It makes me appreciate Weddle and his departure. At least he was here for a long while and played solid before griping and wanting.

You sir, are griping and demading things after ONE year of solid stats. ONE YEAR! It makes me now sympathize with Weddle and his situation with the Chargers and a long term contract. Weddle produced for years and years before he griped.

Gordon? One year of solid stats....and it took you two years getting there.

Audacious are you? Maybe?

Don't get yourself shortchanged, I'm up with that...but but but
      Last edited by Caslon; 07-12-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

You easily have the best handle here. lol

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

While I get this sentiment, why don't we get as pissed at the billionaire owners for charging ridiculous money for ticket, apparel, merchandise, parking, etc? Owners have to pay coaches their entire contracts regardless if they fire the. Why isn't this good enough for the men wrecking their bodies/brains for our entertainment?
          We bitch at the "working man" player for not wanting to get less than market value but the FUCKING GREEDY owners rarely get backlash.

I would guess this will be a note of contention during the next union talks.

Ive never been a proponent for extending MGIII but I don't fault him for trying to maximize his value. This will be his best opportunity to do so.
          I mean they're all greedy for sure. I don't know why everyone tries to deflect from the players being greedy by saying "but look over here the owners are greedy too". They are all greedy but the owners pay close to 50% of the earnings of the league to the players through collective bargaining.

This is is a separate issue of a player having an over 5 million dollar contract in front of him and then demanding more because he might get hurt? He wants guarantees should he get injured? I don't know many people who worry about getting injured after making 5 mil.

This would be like the nfl owners trying to get out of their broadcasting deals a year before because they could make more somewhere else. Not saying owners arent greedy but it's not apples to apples.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
            He's trying to protect his future, getting a 2nd contract with a boatload of guaranteed money before stepping into the field again. RBs, especially the physical ones like Gordon, risk career ending injury every time they touch the ball, more than any other player position. They take such beatings that their bodies wear down and their physic skills decline earlier than other player positions. In that context, I have no animosity toward MG for doing what he feels is best for himself. I think he is swimming upstream though. He's not going to get what he wants.

As for trading for good OL, I am with you there. If they do trade Gordon, I would prefer it to be for a player who can help the team right now, the window is open now. The OL needs the most help, and a good run-blocking OG or OT helps make up for the loss of MG in the running game.
            Kinda echoing what I said above but he isn't making league minimum. If he gets injured and never plays another snap of football he's going to be set for life. He needs to go to Camp Pendleton and get some perspective on people who actually risk their body for next to nothing.

I get that nfl players live in a fairytale land where 5 million isn't enough to cover you for the rest of your life but it makes me sick to hear a player, who isn't a fa (that's a honest negotiation), whining about making 5 million.

Anyway, I get it. It's the way it is but I don't have to sympathize with them.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Trade straight up for Bell
              NYJ GM doesn't want to take on that big contract and will be able to negotiate a more reasonable one with MG3
              for us, yes it's a big contract but Bell would put us over the top.
              championship year!
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

I'm fine rolling with JJ & EK, due to Gordons historical productivity and tenure hopefully another teams sees that he's a proven #1 opposed to drafting a #1 that may not be successful and trade for him giving a #1 & #2 preferably

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Kinda echoing what I said above but he isn't making league minimum. If he gets injured and never plays another snap of football he's going to be set for life. He needs to go to Camp Pendleton and get some perspective on people who actually risk their body for next to nothing.

I get that nfl players live in a fairytale land where 5 million isn't enough to cover you for the rest of your life but it makes me sick to hear a player, who isn't a fa (that's a honest negotiation), whining about making 5 million.

Anyway, I get it. It's the way it is but I don't have to sympathize with them.
                  yeah, I hear you about Melvin Gordon making more in one season then most of us will see in a lifetime. But as you know. They live in a different world, and to them it's about respect as much as the money. Gurley got paid. David Johnson got paid. Le'Veon Bell got paid. From Gordon's perspective, I can see where it would be a matter of self-respect or lack thereof to accept significantly less money then your peers or talent that is inferior to yours.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

So...who here has a glimmer of hope that MG was just posturing and a deal will get done? Anyone? Poll? 50/50? 10/90?

Ah well, I guess we'll see.
                    Last edited by Caslon; 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Irmo, SC
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                      So...who here has a glimmer of hope that MG was just posturing and a deal will get done? Anyone? Poll? 50/50? 10/90?

Ah well, I guess we'll see.
                      I'll bite. 60/40 brass. They WANT him, but they dont NEED him.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Arlington, TX
                        • Send PM

I think that the most likely scenario is that he will be traded before training camp begins to an NFC team (probably GB or TB) to "get him out of the conference". Unless someone in the AFC makes a better offer (Hou or Buff). Either way, I think his time as a Charger is over. If he does play for us in 2019, I don't see how he could be on our roster in 2020.

The fact that this is being dragged out in the media tells me that the sides are most likely irreconcilably far apart. The Chargers have probably already made their "best offer" and Gordon was insulted. The Chargers front office won't cave to his demands and set a precedent that could be used against them in negotiations in the near future. Gordon has simply overpriced his worth to the Chargers. Rock meets hard place.

Hopefully TT is fielding offers and ultimately goes with the best one. I thing that our current stable of RBs will be just fine. Jackson as the starter, Ekeler the 3rd down back, Newsome spells Jackson late in the game (when we're up by multiple TDs), and Cox is the goal line/short yardage power back.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I'm completely fine with what Gordon is doing. When his agent notified ESPN, it had more to do with alerting other teams who might be interested in a trade deal.
                          Negotiating in public means identifying specific aspects of contract negotiations - there hasn't been any of that. Malcontent? Why the hysteria about someone exercising his right to ensure a better future for his family? Football players have a life time of injuries to contend with after they are done.

The way things are arranged right now, by the time a 1rst round runningback gets to finally negotiate a contract to receive market place value, they are on the cusp of decline.

Comment

Working...
                          X