• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post

That seems to me like the only way that he will play a full season for the Chargers in 2019. An extention is just not in the Chargers plans, imo.

But, would he agree to that, knowing that he is not "securing his future", merely pushing it down the road a year?
    He could go out and be the best back in the league next year. Really raise his stock. Make more money. Then again he could get hurt. Im really curious to see how our staff handles this. Kind of exciting. lol

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Super. Yeah i know the details of the situation. I just want him all year. This is a huge year for us. I think we are that close. And hes a major baller for us. Long term replaceable. But it would be nice to have him this year.
      Agreed.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

So u want to screw our cap and future signings for 1 season by overpaying a position that is not a premium position in todays game? Good backs are a dime a dozen. I am sure the bolts would love to keep him, but not at top tier money. he hasnt earned it yet or been durable enough IMO.
        Dime a dozen? Not a premium position? He sure is on our team especially on Lynn's version of the team. I don't think he's earned a $13m/year deal but he's sure worth more than $5.6m.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Dime a dozen? Not a premium position? He sure is on our team especially on Lynn's version of the team. I don't think he's earned a $13m/year deal but he's sure worth more than $5.6m.
          Steelers attack didnt fall off the cliff when bell held out. His back up actually outperformed his previous yr. Damien freakin williams he of the off the street FA tore it up for KC. Yeah...rbs are a dime a dozen and not a premium position in that they rely on the line and system. They also have shorter shelf lives. Rbs decline long before most other positions.

Is he worth more than 5.6...yes. But he is under contract and doesnt hold the cards. Again...he has had 1 top 10 season. 1 yr over 4 ypc. Missed multiple games in 3/4 yrs and has had 3 knee injuries.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

There is no way they are going to give a 5th yr option player a 5th-year salary plus an "extra" raise. If nothing else, any player who is producing then is going to use the "you did it for him, and not for me" argument, and they would be justified. That is especially true since Bosa is next season's 5th year option guy, and that would push his salary up in the $17-$20 million territory (it is $14.36 mill just as the 5th year value as is).

If Gordon is not willing to play for his 5th-year option with us, then the best option is to trade him. We won't get a 1st in return, but maybe another pick (2nd day) or possibly a useful player?? It would just depend. In any case, his $5.6 mill contract makes him the 10th best paid RB. The 27th best paid RB thing is counting his whole rookie deal, so it is a little misleading.

Yes, there would likely be a drop off in production. JJ has shown some of the same traits, although the sample size is pretty small. He is not a very polished receiver, although neither was MG when he was a 2nd-year player. JJ can run inside and outside, but I would say because of his limited # of touches, it is more flashing than proving he can do it. DN has shown he can run inside, but he lacks the speed to be a consistent outside runner and is not the receiver (yet). Ekeler has flashed a bit of everything but has to stay healthy

People have to remember, Gordon is not actually producing at that high a level. He is a very slightly better than average short yardage guy. He is a decent receiver. He can be a solid runner. His biggest asset is that he has the speed and quickness to be an outside runner, and enough power to run inside, while still being a receiver. His best asset is that he is further along in his development than the others. He is going into his 5th year, while Ekeler is in his 3rd, and DN and JJ are both going into their 2nd. All have gotten a lot more reps in the offseason, thanks to MG not being there. While I think we take a bit of a hit not having MG3, we might actually come out ahead in the end, especially if Pople or Cox steps up.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Yaah i know. Im just desperate to have him this year. Throwing anything out there in a careless fashion. I remember i used to have good football ideas. lol

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Yaah i know. Im just desperate to have him this year. Throwing anything out there in a careless fashion. I remember i used to have good football ideas. lol
                No worries. TT will do what is best for the team. We will be fine.
                ​​​​​​
                If Gordon doesn't want to be reasonable, TT will get some value for him hopefully and a potential cancer will be removed in the process.
                Last edited by SDBORN; 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• SYB
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

He has to show for week 10 or he gets no credit for this year. He can not sit the season a be a FA next yr. He also will be fined up the wazzoo.

He may ask for an agreement that if he shows for the start of the season they won't franchise him next year. Otherwise he really doesn't hold much leverage when you get right down to it.
                  Playing devil's advocate here, but if he sat and the team was able to maintain without him, it would be nice to have a fresh Gordon showing up for the stretch run.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

No worries. TT will do what is best for the team. We will be fine.
                    ​​​​​​
                    If Gordon doesn't want to be reasonable, TT will get some value for him hopefully and a potential cancer will be removed in the process.
                    In the past whenever we lose a starter i automatically go into positive thinker mode. One thing this team has done is fight hard through adversity. And this would be a challenge. But maybe Jackson is our stud? We wont know unless he gets snaps. And lots of them. It would be really great of we had a dominant OL.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Steelers attack didnt fall off the cliff when bell held out. His back up actually outperformed his previous yr. Damien freakin williams he of the off the street FA tore it up for KC. Yeah...rbs are a dime a dozen and not a premium position in that they rely on the line and system. They also have shorter shelf lives. Rbs decline long before most other positions.

Is he worth more than 5.6...yes. But he is under contract and doesnt hold the cards. Again...he has had 1 top 10 season. 1 yr over 4 ypc. Missed multiple games in 3/4 yrs and has had 3 knee injuries.
                      So you think we have a superior line and system?

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I'm panicking a bit under the surface. I don't like the idea of not having our best back, especially since I think he is poised to have a HUGE season.

I think he could really make a case for making him one of the top 4 RB, with the $10 mill per season type salary. But I think the holdout hurts his chances, maybe even if he has a huge season.

Last season, all our RB had good stats. Even JJ and DN were way better than Ekeler and MG the previous year(s). Any way you cut it, RB need the OL to play well for them to do their job well. MG has gotten better each year, but the O is only going to go as far as the OL takes it. We should be about as good as last year if they perform about the same. But if they can get better, and raise their game (Lamp), then the O can be better than last year.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

The Bucs make the most sense to me. Arians prefers a bell cow RB that can do it all and Barber and Jones are hot garbage.

Comment

Working...
                          X