• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm panicking a bit under the surface. I don't like the idea of not having our best back, especially since I think he is poised to have a HUGE season.

I think he could really make a case for making him one of the top 4 RB, with the $10 mill per season type salary. But I think the holdout hurts his chances, maybe even if he has a huge season.

Last season, all our RB had good stats. Even JJ and DN were way better than Ekeler and MG the previous year(s). Any way you cut it, RB need the OL to play well for them to do their job well. MG has gotten better each year, but the O is only going to go as far as the OL takes it. We should be about as good as last year if they perform about the same. But if they can get better, and raise their game (Lamp), then the O can be better than last year.
    Yeah i agree with all of that. I just think based on who we have getting new contracts that its probably easiest to replace him if we have to let a stud walk. Im not sure as it stands now he is worth that huge contract. But if he went out and monstered this season he could be. His value to this team is pretty immense. Simply because of the fact that he has overcome a pretty mediocre blocking OL. I think he leads the league in yards affter contact behind the line Broken tackles. All sorts of stats that might suggest the OL isnt creating huge lanes. He is a really big back. He has to be pushing 235 right now. Hes a load. But he breaks down. But its possible most of the top RBs would behind our OL. I dont know.

Like i said losing him for this year will suck. But i will instantly go into full blown positive mode. When they take a guy like Jackson in the 6th i have to think they had a higher round grade on him. He was ultra successful in college. Im just not sure he is a feature guy. 199 pounds behind our OL? Hes gonna get hit.

He put the ball on the ground a lot as a rookie. He didnt block great. And had to learn how to have success in the passing game. The kid has worked his ass off. Thats for sure.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

What if we raised his salary just this year? Say add another 3.5. Pay him 9 for the season. He moves on next year?
      Not sure I'd like to even give him a small raise for his last year...imagine--you do that and now, every player going into the last year of his rookie contract will point to Gordon and say, I want an MG3-like raise...Bolts need to save up to keep players like Boss...

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not sure I'd like to even give him a small raise for his last year...imagine--you do that and now, every player going into the last year of his rookie contract will point to Gordon and say, I want an MG3-like raise...Bolts need to save up to keep players like Boss...
        Yeah that is the common response im getting. I think it just shows that im really wanting him this year. Because im willing to overlook the long term ramifications of doing something like that. lol Which is bad business. And im not a bad business guy. But its the Superbowl. And i dont want another year of struggling in the run game like we did prior to Gordon. Hes set to break out huge this year.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Arlington, TX
          • Send PM

I could see something like

Jackson = 30-35%
          Ekeler = 30-35%
          Newsome = 20-25%
          Cox = 5-10%

Each back has talents that are uniquely different from the others. So mix and match often, play the mismatch game, and keep them all relatively fresh.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
            I could see something like

Jackson = 30-35%
            Ekeler = 30-35%
            Newsome = 20-25%
            Cox = 5-10%

Each back has talents that are uniquely different from the others. So mix and match often, play the mismatch game, and keep them all relatively fresh.
            Sounds about right. I think Detrez may surprise a lot of people. He was very productive in the preseason last year and had one pretty decent game in the regular season. I'd like to see how Cox does in the preseason this year. Seems to be just the big, bruising, change of pace back we could use...

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Steelers attack didnt fall off the cliff when bell held out. His back up actually outperformed his previous yr. Damien freakin williams he of the off the street FA tore it up for KC. Yeah...rbs are a dime a dozen and not a premium position in that they rely on the line and system. They also have shorter shelf lives. Rbs decline long before most other positions.

Is he worth more than 5.6...yes. But he is under contract and doesnt hold the cards. Again...he has had 1 top 10 season. 1 yr over 4 ypc. Missed multiple games in 3/4 yrs and has had 3 knee injuries.
              Steelers didn't make the playoffs last year. It was a horrible season by their standards. You hear about how Conners was nearly as effective as Bell - i'm not buying it.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

How does 8-8 sound to everybody?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  How does 8-8 sound to everybody?
                  I think this team can go 10 - 6 without Gordon. Hell, if the Oline comes together that would make up for his absence. Who knows!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yeah that is the common response im getting. I think it just shows that im really wanting him this year. Because im willing to overlook the long term ramifications of doing something like that. lol Which is bad business. And im not a bad business guy. But its the Superbowl. And i dont want another year of struggling in the run game like we did prior to Gordon. Hes set to break out huge this year.
                    Rams had this problem in spades last year & they caved in big time. Chargers are historically a better run organization & never vary from sound, sensible business planning.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Rams had this problem in spades last year & they caved in big time. Chargers are historically a better run organization & never vary from sound, sensible business planning.
                      What problem did the Rams have?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think this team can go 10 - 6 without Gordon. Hell, if the Oline comes together that would make up for his absence. Who knows!
                        I think we could even go 11-5 without Gordon, maybe even 12-4. Some people seem to forget that in the 4 games MG3 missed due to injury, we won all 4, and that was against the Titans, Steelers, Bengals and Chefs. That's beating two good teams, one below average team and one elite team. So, can the Bolts win without Gordon? Give me a minute to think about that, yes....
                        Last edited by Topcat; 07-12-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

I never even heard this....

Comment

Working...
                          X