• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rosen can do good things. So can most any NFL QB (and most backups) if everything goes right. What has always separated top QBs (like Rivers) is, most of the time when things are going wrong, they rarely turn it into a negative, and a lot of the time they make a sweet positive out of it. Can Rosen be such a QB? Dunno, but interesting that teams like NE and LAC seem to think so (reportedly).

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by The Franchise View Post
      You clearly didn't watch him play. I did.

When a line is bad, your outlet is your best friend... especially when his name is David fricken Johnson. I watched him many times not even look to his outlet (who was open... hence outlet) and instead just stared at his first read resulting in a sack, a pick, or at best an incompletion most of the time.

You can make excuses for him all you want to, but I know what I saw. Go watch him, and you might learn the same thing. I'll challenge you to find a single clip where he goes through his progression.

See the problem isn't just his line or playcalling... it is that he has an enormous ego and wants to make highlight throws (even though his arm strength fails him), instead of leading drives. He is a bust. The fact that the Arizona Cardinals are willing to part with their top 10 pick less than a year later should be all you need to know... unless of course you either have an agenda or lack of knowledge of the game itself.
      So you would have dumped Goff after year 1 for a sixth as well. Gotcha.

again, time will tell. I watched a lot of his play. He had the worst cast of offensive players and OC in the league. He didnt help his cause at times for sure, but not one rookie (or 90% of vets) in NFL history would have looked good in that situation last season, . I didn't make excuses, i stated facts. we'll know for sure in a couple of years.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

So you would have dumped Goff after year 1 for a sixth as well. Gotcha.

again, time will tell. I watched a lot of his play. He had the worst cast of offensive players and OC in the league. He didnt help his cause at times for sure, but not one rookie (or 90% of vets) in NFL history would have looked good in that situation last season, . I didn't make excuses, i stated facts. we'll know for sure in a couple of years.
        I thought Goff was a total bust after his rookie season. Boy was I wrong

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Seems like his profile was fairly accurate.

- Needs to take what defenses give him more often.
          - Trust protection and doesn't take eyes off target when pressure mounts from egde.
          - Willing to stand and deliver in face of pressure.
          - Terrific mechanics
          - Great Back shoulder thrower
          - Good usage of shoulder fakes and hitches to move defenders
          - Touch passer who can throw feathers when needed
          - Decision making and post snap reads are inconsistent
          - Needs better anticipation
          - Too much hero ball

The staff can help him to get better every day, that's what coaching is for.
          How can he get better at taking what the defense gives him unless he practices it and plays it?

Lynn did impress upon Philip Rivers protecting the rock.
          His turnovers went way down under Lynn.
          And he is playing some of the best ball of his career.
          If the HC can get better ball out of Rivers, then I suspect he can get better ball out of Rosen.

Also his center from college is on Chargers roster.
          So there is potential in the future for some very good QB/C chemistry.
          Josh Rosen NFL Prospect profile for Stats, videos, combine results, draft projections and expert analysis.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

It is amazing what an oline, some weapons, and a good offensive co ordinator and QB coach can do for a young go isn't it? Having none of those things is tough for any QB to succeed let alone a rookie.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

You clearly didn't watch him play. I did.

When a line is bad, your outlet is your best friend... especially when his name is David fricken Johnson. I watched him many times not even look to his outlet (who was open... hence outlet) and instead just stared at his first read resulting in a sack, a pick, or at best an incompletion most of the time.

You can make excuses for him all you want to, but I know what I saw. Go watch him, and you might learn the same thing. I'll challenge you to find a single clip where he goes through his progression.

See the problem isn't just his line or playcalling... it is that he has an enormous ego and wants to make highlight throws (even though his arm strength fails him), instead of leading drives. He is a bust. The fact that the Arizona Cardinals are willing to part with their top 10 pick less than a year later should be all you need to know... unless of course you either have an agenda or lack of knowledge of the game itself.
              If this is your conclusion from what you saw then I don't trust what you saw. C'mon now. I posted a video on their assessment of Rosen on page 1 in this thread. Maybe you should watch it.

You are also calling Lamp a bust after he has been hurt and the coachs said he wasn't playing because the line had cohesiveness before he was ready and didn't want to mess that up right now. Seems to me you just have a quick trigger.

A Rookie QB with the worst OL in the league with a great RB who wasn't great because his OL stunk. Go figure!

Rosen is a typical Rookie who needs time to develope. He has the tools but like any QB he also needs better blocking around him and needs to learn.
              Eli wasn't good with his bad OL last season but he is a vet with experience and made it work better than Rosen.
              ​​​​​​
              I'm not a fan of giving a second for Rosen and I think it's all liars month crap that we are interested.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-28-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Rosen can do good things. So can most any NFL QB (and most backups) if everything goes right. What has always separated top QBs (like Rivers) is, most of the time when things are going wrong, they rarely turn it into a negative, and a lot of the time they make a sweet positive out of it. Can Rosen be such a QB? Dunno, but interesting that teams like NE and LAC seem to think so (reportedly).
                Rivers was in a LOT better situation as a young QB, even aside from the fact he sat for two years and worked his tail off to improve Goff and trubisky are 2 recent guys that turned their career paths around almost instantly when matched with better talent and coaching. Both looked really awful after year 1.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Best that ever happened to Goff was them firing Jeff Fisher.

Got to give e players that 3 year window.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• The Franchise
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If this is your conclusion from what you saw then I don't trust what you saw. C'mon now. I posted a video on their assessment of Rosen on page 1 in this thread. Maybe you should watch it.

You are also calling Lamp a bust after he has been hurt and the coachs said he wasn't playing because the line had cohesiveness before he was ready and didn't want to mess that up right now. Seems to me you just have a quick trigger.

A Rookie QB with the worst OL in the league with a great RB who wasn't great because his OL stunk. Go figure!

Rosen is a typical Rookie who needs time to develope. He has the tools but like any QB he also needs better blocking around him and needs to learn.
                    Eli wasn't good with his bad OL last season but he is a vet with experience and made it work better than Rosen.
                    ​​​​​​
                    I'm not a fan of giving a second for Rosen and I think it's all liars month crap that we are interested.
                    All it is now is opinions, but I'm confident in mine. Rosen is garbage. He's a backup caliber QB with the attitude that thinks he deserves to be starter just because... and will fail because he will never accept that role. Time will tell

For what it's worth though... I don't believe for a second that the Chargers are interested in Rosen. He's not the QB that Lynn covets for one. Secondly, we just brought in Tyrod Taylor for two years at a hefty backup QB salary. Thirdly... this is the same negotiation tactics we heard the last time Rivers was up for contract negotiations. Last time it was all the rumors that the Chargers were looking to trade up to the 2nd overall pick becuase they were in love with Mariota. All of that was BS and was solely to get Rivers to sign.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

All it is now is opinions, but I'm confident in mine. Rosen is garbage. He's a backup caliber QB with the attitude that thinks he deserves to be starter just because... and will fail because he will never accept that role. Time will tell

For what it's worth though... I don't believe for a second that the Chargers are interested in Rosen. He's not the QB that Lynn covets for one. Secondly, we just brought in Tyrod Taylor for two years at a hefty backup QB salary. Thirdly... this is the same negotiation tactics we heard the last time Rivers was up for contract negotiations. Last time it was all the rumors that the Chargers were looking to trade up to the 2nd overall pick becuase they were in love with Mariota. All of that was BS and was solely to get Rivers to sign.
                      Respectfully disagree.

What is different this time, is that Rivers is nearer to retirement,
                      and the Chargers are transitioning to Kroenke's Palace.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

That's ok dude.
                        You had Patrick Mahomes.
                        I had Nathan Peterman.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I still say it is a bad idea to go for Rosen. Rivers is likely going to play 3 more years, Rosen will be a FA in 3 years. We would be in a position where we would have to give a vet contract to a player who has not played and would have to hand the starting job over to him.

If Rivers is done in less than 3 years, then it makes some sense, but at this point, you don't know for sure. If he can I think Rivers will still be starting when Rosen is looking for a big money contract.

Comment

Working...
                          X