Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
    Telesco after the loss to the Pats: "The offensive line is not broken".

Reality from preseason game 2: The offensive line is badly broken.

Pipkins could probably have been had in Round 6. I doubt he was on anyone's radar. Round 3 players should start, not be "projects".

Stick was a waste in Round 5. We already have a competent back-up QB and Stick is not an upgrade over Jones at #3.

So we essentially wasted Rounds 3 and 5 when we could have done something to sure up the o-line. Nothing in free agency either.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt !
    Welcome to TPB....

Always good to have some more angry posters with comments and conjecture.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• PMR9FAN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Welcome aboard.

That's a valid argument. But the reality is TT gets to build his team his way. And he's done a good job of it. Except for the OL.
      Thanks for the welcome.

Hopefully the OL will be at least serviceable by opening day.

Is it any wonder PhillyRiv was happy to sit out preseason?

Comment

• PMR9FAN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Welcome to TPB....

Always good to have some more angry posters with comments and conjecture.
        Thanks for the welcome ...

As Coach Boone said,

"We got anger, that's good. We're gonna need it, we got aggression that's even better. We're gonna need that, too!"

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Thanks for the welcome.

Hopefully the OL will be at least serviceable by opening day.

Is it any wonder PhillyRiv was happy to sit out preseason?
          I watched Trent Scott and he struggled at times. They better have Okung ready wk 1 or we are in real trouble. I was shocked too they didn't take another OT in rnd 3 vs the project Pipkins or used the rnd 5 pick. You could argue even the rnd 4 pick vs a depth LB

They just ran out and signed a WR Dontrel Inman today. You would think they would have some urgency around the OL. Same for RB. Ekeler and Jackson are more like 3rd down backs. Neither is a bruiser who you call on for a 3rd and 1.

It think overall they do a good job but you can't disregard what appears to be week depth areas.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

I watched Trent Scott and he struggled at times. They better have Okung ready wk 1 or we are in real trouble. I was shocked too they didn't take another OT in rnd 3 vs the project Pipkins or used the rnd 5 pick. You could argue even the rnd 4 pick vs a depth LB

They just ran out and signed a WR Dontrel Inman today. You would think they would have some urgency around the OL. Same for RB. Ekeler and Jackson are more like 3rd down backs. Neither is a bruiser who you call on for a 3rd and 1.

It think overall they do a good job but you can't disregard what appears to be week depth areas.
            They probably drafted Pipkins because they felt he could be a future LT vs the other tackles available at their pick. And Drue Tranquil isn't just depth at linebacker. With Derwin James out for a long time, a guy like Drue who is versatile will be very important to this defense. And given that it's a passing league now, I doubt there is that same level of urgency for an RB. Now in terms of quality OL available, who do you propose they pick up that will instantly make this OL better?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
              Scott - Lamp - Feeney - Schofield - Tevi had a solid outing to start PS 1 vs Ari.
              Sure, it's PS 1 and yes, it was Ari but I've seen projected Chargers OL just shredded in 1st quarter of PS 1 by nobody special in the past.
              It's an improvement.
              There may be reason to hope that Lynn & co may have a workable OL plan in place.
              TBD.
              Didn't AZ lose half of their starting DL? This is a bad plan based on hope. Ya gonna believe that fancy clipboard diagram over your two lyin' eyes? Ive seen these guys play, they are not good.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They probably drafted Pipkins because they felt he could be a future LT vs the other tackles available at their pick. And Drue Tranquil isn't just depth at linebacker. With Derwin James out for a long time, a guy like Drue who is versatile will be very important to this defense. And given that it's a passing league now, I doubt there is that same level of urgency for an RB. Now in terms of quality OL available, who do you propose they pick up that will instantly make this OL better?
                I don't agree w a lot of that. IMO they neglected the OL. Okung is old and they need a replacement at some stage too. They have had an entire offseason to get a LT (draft and FA). IMO Trent Scott isn't the answer but we are where we are.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Neglecting the oline is part of a Lynn conspiracy to oust Rivers in favor of the mobile QB he has always dreamed of having ...

(yes joking)

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Panic. Fear. It leads to 20-20 hindsight...and bad football takes.

No one is neglecting or overlooking the importance of Oline.

Player development is complex.

Cap space is always in play.

We have had different Oline coaches, with contrasting ideas about scheme and technique.

TT has famously missed on draft picks (DJ Fluker, Chris Watt, Max Tuerk) and free agents (Orlando Franklin, Chad Rinehart, Joe Barksdale.)

Tough blows have occurred with King Dunlap's concussions, and Chris Hairston's, Russell Okung's heart issues.

Late round picks and undrafted free agents have just not developed at all (Tyreek Burwell, Donavon Clark, Sam Tevi.)

We must invest in who we have...patience, coaching, training and game experience.

Do not forget TT's hits, such as King Dunlap, Russell Okung and Mike Pouncey.

Hope like hell Trent Scott, Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeney, Scott Quessenberry, and Trey Pipkins become adequate, and Russell Okung can miraculously resume his NFL career.

Do not give up on Trent Scott and Forrest Lamp, after TWO PRESEASON GAMES, especially when snaps are the only way they can actually grow as players.

This is where we are at.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I can tell you this much.

There have been prospects I have scouted and touted that have turned out to be very average or even busts.

There have been players I thought were perfect fits for the Chargers, in terms of scheme fit and slotting in the drafts, and it has ended up that the Chargers have had absolutely no interest in.

There have been situations where I screamed to trade up for particular offensive tackles or invest early picks in Oline, and it was never ever going to happen.

It's a work in progress.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

They just ran out and signed a WR Dontrel Inman today. You would think they would have some urgency around the OL.
                        Inman was too good of a situation to pass up. Plus him getting open quickly gives Rivers another bail out option. Got 2 preseason games and practice to regain QB/WR trust. But yeah I hope TT finds upgrades for 0-line.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I don't agree w a lot of that. IMO they neglected the OL. Okung is old and they need a replacement at some stage too. They have had an entire offseason to get a LT (draft and FA). IMO Trent Scott isn't the answer but we are where we are.
                          Who were the quality LTs in FA? And who were the quality LTs in the draft after the Eagles picked up Dillard?

Comment

Working...
                          X