• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Sorry, I can't see that. I see poor play by Benjamin, but the talent isn't there or just very raw on the OL/DL, and the soul of the team isn't playing.
    There have been times this year that LAC did not come out flat at 10am. I will give our guys that.

But the word sloppy is being thrown around, and that suggests lack of accountability. Maybe AL is being too much of a players coach. Lack of overall leadership amongst players in the locker room could be an issue.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think all of the olinemen, aside from maybe Schofield are very athletic so it is not that. Pat Meyers is in his 3rd season here. Does anyone see any of our young offensive linemen developing at all? I sure don't. The only two decent ones we had were guys we brought in from the outside in Okung and Pouncey and now with them both hurt we seem doomed. I realize nobody expected Scott to start this year but he and Tevi just look overmatched and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
      Pouncey's neck injury was the decisive blow.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I think all of the olinemen, aside from maybe Schofield are very athletic so it is not that. Pat Meyers is in his 3rd season here. Does anyone see any of our young offensive linemen developing at all? I sure don't. The only two decent ones we had were guys we brought in from the outside in Okung and Pouncey and now with them both hurt we seem doomed. I realize nobody expected Scott to start this year but he and Tevi just look overmatched and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
        In Tevi's case, I'm going to guess Meyer fell in love with his run blocking, which is very good; but he apparently thought Tevi would develop into a better pass blocker. Well, here we are, in Tevi's second season as a starter, and I just don't see much improvement at all. Tevi's kick slide just isn't nearly quick enough to mirror fast edge rushers. Actually, Lamp's slide is much better than Tevi, but Lamp is needed at LG even more. I was calling for us to double dip at OT in the draft...we got Pip, who is a project, but we needed at least one more OT in the draft or FA, and I think TT epic failed here...P.S.--Django actually looked better than Tevi in the preseason in pass pro. But we cut him. Didn't want to mess with that wonderful O-line chemistry, I suppose...

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

Many draft pundits had OL as our top need this year. Jerry Tillery was a good pick, but now w the OL play it is looking like Kaleb McGary, Dalton Risner , Cody Ford etc ( all starters) would have helped the team more.

They really needed to use FA to bring in a good swing tackle too as they had nothing when Russel Okung went down. I liked they took the 2 OG in 2017 who are now both starting and are ok. The tackles are the big concern

This team looks like 7-9 team now. It irks me they strive to find great UDFA CBs and WRs and super LB hybrid prospects like Nwosu, Kyzir White, Jatavis Brown , Emeke Egbule etc but manage to put the worst OL in the league out there on the field

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In Tevi's case, I'm going to guess Meyer fell in love with his run blocking, which is very good; but he apparently thought Tevi would develop into a better pass blocker. Well, here we are, in Tevi's second season as a starter, and I just don't see much improvement at all. Tevi's kick slide just isn't nearly quick enough to mirror fast edge rushers. Actually, Lamp's slide is much better than Tevi, but Lamp is needed at LG even more. I was calling for us to double dip at OT in the draft...we got Pip, who is a project, but we needed at least one more OT in the draft or FA, and I think TT epic failed here...P.S.--Django actually looked better than Tevi in the preseason in pass pro. But we cut him. Didn't want to mess with that wonderful O-line chemistry, I suppose...
            After watching the last 3 games, it's hard to like the run blocking of anyone on this team. His problem is the flashes of good plays followed by the all too frequent mistakes. Yes he is a young raw player but I just don't see gradual improvement in him in the passing game. He looks as bad now as he did at the beginning of last year.

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

Is there any other team starting 6th rounds, 7th rounders and UDFA on the OL yielding better results?

Seriously, dumbass Telesco has to actually invest in the O line with quality players, not these scrubs.
              Last edited by UglyTruth; 10-14-2019, 11:37 AM.
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                Is there any other team starting 6th rounds, 7th rounders and UDFA on the OL yielding better results?

Seriousky, dumbass Telesco has to actually invest in the O line with quality players, not these scrubs.
                To be fair, Okung was pencilled in as our starting LT. By the time he was hurt, there wasn't a whole lot of options available (except for Williams - cough, cough).

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

OLT. Important spot. TT paid relatively big here, given River's cap number,
                  and a desire to maintain overall cap health.

Then we got a bargain with Pouncey.

We drafted at Oline several times.

Lamp can still be the piece we build around, now that we are where we are.

Pipkins can get stronger.

Of course, Feeney will not be an instant success at Center.

Get fired up all you need to, but TT has addressed Oline.

The grade is a solid D+.

Join us draft wonks, who study for HOURS, in scouting trench candidates on both sides of the football,
                  during the offseason. Go in depth in other ways. Somehow it makes a fan more tolerant, and able to enjoy the shitshow more.

Just a friendly reminder that both Lamp and Feeney were universally considered very clean prospects,
                  by the profession scouts and fans alike.

Also, betya we re-up with Lamp,
                  unlike Fluker,
                  and it will be a lot less expensive than it might be otherwise, given the lack of snaps for Forrest. :lol:

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Seriously, dumbass Telesco has to actually invest in the O line with quality players, not these scrubs.
                    We have a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder on it. Lamp being the second rounder.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We have a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder on it. Lamp being the second rounder.
                      Schofield was a 3rd round draft pick by the Broncos, FWIW.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

Schofield was a 3rd round draft pick by the Broncos, FWIW.
                        He was a bust for them which was a big reason why they were in a hurry to get rid of his ass and their fans celebrated that a divisional rival picked him up.
                        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ontario , Canada
                          • Send PM

To be fair, Okung was pencilled in as our starting LT. By the time he was hurt, there wasn't a whole lot of options available (except for Williams - cough, cough).
                          That is why they should have drafted an OT w either the 1st or 2nd. Do we need Nasir Adderley or Jerry Tillery more than we need and OT? No

They could have traded too like HOU or added Donald Penn in FA like WAS on July 31 (after they knew Okung was hurt) who is serviceable.

Comment

Working...
                          X