• Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

People on here keep talking about adding Conklin...I seriously doubt he is going anywhere. Henry just bought his oline rolex watches...the Titans are winning...unless they short change him, and I don't think they will, Conklin will be back with the Titans.

Scherff is a possibility, but the new staff may woo him...if they are afraid of his injuries and low ball him...then maybe we don't want him...

Thuney may want to get paid, and NE may be looking to overhaul after this season anyway...Glasgow is another possibility...who wants to play for Detroit? The only reason they have fans is because there is fuck all else to do there...

Anyway...there really aren't a whole lot of options for significant upgrades for the oline in FA...hopefully we can nail one down, take some of the pressure off when drafting...maybe pick up a nice gem after cuts as well.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      People on here keep talking about adding Conklin...I seriously doubt he is going anywhere. Henry just bought his oline rolex watches...the Titans are winning...unless they short change him, and I don't think they will, Conklin will be back with the Titans.

Scherff is a possibility, but the new staff may woo him...if they are afraid of his injuries and low ball him...then maybe we don't want him...

Thuney may want to get paid, and NE may be looking to overhaul after this season anyway...Glasgow is another possibility...who wants to play for Detroit? The only reason they have fans is because there is fuck all else to do there...

Anyway...there really aren't a whole lot of options for significant upgrades for the oline in FA...hopefully we can nail one down, take some of the pressure off when drafting...maybe pick up a nice gem after cuts as well.
      The right guy is out there. It might not be who the fans want and it might cost more than one would like.

You do not want to depend on pouncey, nor start Q at center next to two struggling guards.
      Ideally, find someone the other team can't hang onto due to severe cap issues - like louis vasquez a few years back.
      Good gms/head coaches find these guys. Titans got roger saffold that way (who are the flavor of the week)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The right guy is out there. It might not be who the fans want and it might cost more than one would like.

You do not want to depend on pouncey, nor start Q at center next to two struggling guards.
        Ideally, find someone the other team can't hang onto due to severe cap issues - like louis vasquez a few years back.
        Good gms/head coaches find these guys. Titans got roger saffold that way (who are the flavor of the week)
        I assume that Telesco and Lynn and Meyer talk about players
        Last year - I think Telesco and them saw 12-4 and thought - we are good
        Granted, could not account for Okungs injuries

But come on guys, get your heads together - maybe out of your a**es and really do a good job

It doesn't have to be Conklin - get creative. But do you damn jobs!

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

If ya cant assemble a solid o line after 7years G'BYE!

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

if Andrew Thomas is off the board, think the only viable OT target is Wirfs…. (if he comes out ?)

after that, think it's Yasir Durant rounds 3/4 ?? and @the OC wondering how long you could wait on Lloyd Cushenberry ??

not overly excited 'bout anybody else atm, and hopin' we don't draft just for need....
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
              if Andrew Thomas is off the board, think the only viable OT target is Wirfs…. (if he comes out ?)

after that, think it's Yasir Durant rounds 3/4 ?? and @the OC wondering how long you could wait on Lloyd Cushenberry ??

not overly excited 'bout anybody else atm, and hopin' we don't draft just for need....
              I agree - don't draft for need. Draft the best player. But all things equal - TElesco needs to rebuild the OL He cannot think 4th or 5th rounders are going to do it. Look at SF - both sides of the ball Its nota coincidence.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Do you remember the free agent class of Mike Goff, Steve Foley and Randall Godfrey? Good group. FOley was undervalued and was shot and the wound ended his career. Godfrey was two years and a thumper. Goff was a 5 year deal and for a good 4 years of that was a solid player

If the Chargers in FA can come away with three players like that: OL, LB and say interior DL - would be very happy.
                Those occured 15 years ago. The NFL has changed a lot.

The big reason the Chargers were winners in FA was because of our switch to the 34 D under Wade that year. Foley was a stiff, straight line pass rushing OLB, at a time where only NE and SD ran a 34 D. We got him because he didn't fit any other team. Randall Godfrey was another player that was a much better fit in the 34 as a Mac (strong inside LB) than at any position in the 43. No team was going to try bidding with us on them, because there was simply no reason to pay top dollar for marginal players.

Goff is a bit different, because roadgrader type OL who were not that athletic didn't get top dollar, so we won the bidding war for him, although as I recall there was not much of a war. More of a couple of shots across the bow. Still, there were a fair # of decent NFL OL, so getting a guy who had some athletic problems in pass protection was not that tough.

The other thing to remember about FA 15 years ago was that NFL teams were still figuring out how to manage the cap, and where to put their money. The cap was a lot lower, so teams had to be a lot more careful about where to spend it. Many teams were up against the cap, so most teams had little or no money to play with.

Fast forward to today.

1). Teams have money to play with, so everyone can afford to bid on FA.
                2). Even the pitiful OL who were available in FA last year went for $12 mill +. Would you pay a Mike Goff type player $12 mill dollars per season? Don't believe me, look it up. (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...ffensive-line/)
                3). Around half the league are playing some variation of 34 D. Most of them would love to have a Steve Foley as at least a situational rusher, so there would be a lot more teams bidding on him, driving the price through the roof with all the cap space that is not getting spent and rolled over year after year.
                4). Teams are doing a much better job of evaluating risk, so if you are going to be a big winner in FA, you are going to have to gamble some.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The big reason the Chargers were winners in FA was because of our switch to the 34 D under Wade that year. Foley was a stiff, straight line pass rushing OLB, at a time where only NE and SD ran a 34 D. We got him because he didn't fit any other team. Randall Godfrey was another player that was a much better fit in the 34 as a Mac (strong inside LB) than at any position in the 43. No team was going to try bidding with us on them, because there was simply no reason to pay top dollar for marginal players.

Goff is a bit different, because roadgrader type OL who were not that athletic didn't get top dollar, so we won the bidding war for him, although as I recall there was not much of a war. More of a couple of shots across the bow. Still, there were a fair # of decent NFL OL, so getting a guy who had some athletic problems in pass protection was not that tough.

The other thing to remember about FA 15 years ago was that NFL teams were still figuring out how to manage the cap, and where to put their money. The cap was a lot lower, so teams had to be a lot more careful about where to spend it. Many teams were up against the cap, so most teams had little or no money to play with.

Fast forward to today.

2). Even the pitiful OL who were available in FA last year went for $12 mill +. Would you pay a Mike Goff type player $12 mill dollars per season? Don't believe me, look it up. (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...ffensive-line/)
                  3). Around half the league are playing some variation of 34 D. Most of them would love to have a Steve Foley as at least a situational rusher, so there would be a lot more teams bidding on him, driving the price through the roof with all the cap space that is not getting spent and rolled over year after year.
                  4). Teams are doing a much better job of evaluating risk, so if you are going to be a big winner in FA, you are going to have to gamble some.
                  Well, if the Bolts let Rivers go, that frees up a lot more $$$ to sign those FA's...and if TT doesn't sign at LEAST one decent OT, he's living in Fantasyland...and I do think we should also DRAFT OT to hedge our bets...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Fast forward to today.

All good points. But the main thing is finding a player right for the season that is available. I get the dollars have changed - but its about good scouting, good coaching and the GM/HC talking to each other! Just not signing a dude - because he's a dude. Thats how I feel about Wirfs, Thomas and Wells at OT. I don't know who the best for the Chargers is - but don't pick Thomas because he is ranked highest on Mel Kipers draft board! Do you damn home work

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

... Just not signing a dude - because he's a dude. ….
                      That is what FA IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if the guy wasn't just a dude, that is what most of them become. You take some hungry guy dying to prove himself in the NFL and give him a boatload of money and he isn't the same hungry player he was. Add into it that he is on a new team, with a ton of money, few friends to start off, and having to prove himself again. IT is almost impossible to get the same stuff out of a guy. It's just human nature.

You aren't signing the player he was, you are changing him, and money is a horrible motivator for (most) people.

Let's add into it that FA is HISTORICALLY a LOSING BATTLE. Most of the big money FA, and this is EVERY year, end up not working out. Most aren't complete busts, but they do tend to vastly underperform their contracts and get cut. This isn't a recent thing, this goes back to the beginning of FA. It has ALWAYS been that way.

Take a good long look at the list posted above (https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum...926#post902926)
                      1). All of the players on it have a knock or two (or three) against them. I can live with some of that (depending on the price), but what knocks can you live with?

2). The list is going to start to change. The good players on the list are going to start to disappear, as the teams that still have their rights will sign some of them, so they don't have to get in bidding wars for them, and keep their prices down. Many(most?) won't make it to FA. The only reason that some will is because they feel that the supply of decent players is very low, and the demand is very, very high, so maybe they can get some more money out of someone. It only takes 1 desperate team to overpay, and some of them are willing to overpay to give fans hope while they are selling tickets.

3). Having more money for FA is not necessarily a help. Overpaying for risky players is like piling the money in the street and burning it. Desperate teams (which I now count us as) just continue to overpay and overpay, and it doesn't help on the field, but does limit the team cap in the future. Most of them don't show it too much because they don't have any good players to sign of their own.

I still stand by what I said last year. We didn't sign anyone in FA because there wasn't anyone who was a real upgrade over the guys we had.

I stand by it, even with the putrid performance of our OL. There were no real choices in FA last year. We didn't make a move because there was no move worth taking.

We didn't draft the OL because when we were picking, there were not good OL picks in those slots. We had other needs and we filled those needs (DT, FS, LB....), rather than reach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

That is what FA IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if the guy wasn't just a dude, that is what most of them become. You take some hungry guy dying to prove himself in the NFL and give him a boatload of money and he isn't the same hungry player he was. Add into it that he is on a new team, with a ton of money, few friends to start off, and having to prove himself again. IT is almost impossible to get the same stuff out of a guy. It's just human nature.

You aren't signing the player he was, you are changing him, and money is a horrible motivator for (most) people.

Let's add into it that FA is HISTORICALLY a LOSING BATTLE. Most of the big money FA, and this is EVERY year, end up not working out. Most aren't complete busts, but they do tend to vastly underperform their contracts and get cut. This isn't a recent thing, this goes back to the beginning of FA. It has ALWAYS been that way.

Take a good long look at the list posted above (https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum...926#post902926)
                        1). All of the players on it have a knock or two (or three) against them. I can live with some of that (depending on the price), but what knocks can you live with?

2). The list is going to start to change. The good players on the list are going to start to disappear, as the teams that still have their rights will sign some of them, so they don't have to get in bidding wars for them, and keep their prices down. Many(most?) won't make it to FA. The only reason that some will is because they feel that the supply of decent players is very low, and the demand is very, very high, so maybe they can get some more money out of someone. It only takes 1 desperate team to overpay, and some of them are willing to overpay to give fans hope while they are selling tickets.

3). Having more money for FA is not necessarily a help. Overpaying for risky players is like piling the money in the street and burning it. Desperate teams (which I now count us as) just continue to overpay and overpay, and it doesn't help on the field, but does limit the team cap in the future. Most of them don't show it too much because they don't have any good players to sign of their own.

I still stand by what I said last year. We didn't sign anyone in FA because there wasn't anyone who was a real upgrade over the guys we had.

I stand by it, even with the putrid performance of our OL. There were no real choices in FA last year. We didn't make a move because there was no move worth taking.

We didn't draft the OL because when we were picking, there were not good OL picks in those slots. We had other needs and we filled those needs (DT, FS, LB....), rather than reach.
                        I agree. Sometimes free agency is fools gold. The JEts won Free Agency - how many of those guys are left or they want to move on from. This was Spring 2018. And just because you have the money does not mean you need to spend it. And not too many free agents make the Pro Bowl. Its a small number. Good teams build from within and augment.

I personally am more a fan of the free agents that don't sign in the first five minutes. Its about scouting, working with the coaching staff and finding the right fits for the roster. But I think this year, Telesco might need to be a bit more active in Free Agency and find a player for the OL that is better than whats on the roster. And since Tevi and Scott played so many snaps - it shouldn't be hard.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Just a few misconceptions in Charger fandom.

TT said no splash signings for SoFi.
                          TT said our exciting is not his exciting.
                          TT said beware of expensive names @ UFA how do not project future production.

For The Trenchers (and I know you are out there lol) ...
                          we are looking for midlevel scheme fits, not maulers.
                          TT just got himself some breathing room, post King Dunlap, Orlando Franklin, etc.
                          Crap Okung was expensive enough but there has been some ROI.
                          Wait and see re Okung and Pouncey's health.
                          Lamp is back...it was just broken bones that will surely heal.
                          Quessenberry is almost exciting.
                          Schofield, not my guy but he'll return.
                          Pipkens is coming on man, faster than molasses.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X