• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
    So has the herd shifted back to the O line was a problem? I thought everything was Rivers fault and the O line was comprised of all stars.
    I have always said it was a COMBINATION of O-line issues, PLUS Rivers playing hero ball in crunch time. These are not mutually exclusive factors. Regardless of what happens with PR, we need a good OT, IOL in draft, and a solid FA OT...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Nice fantasy
      Do you remember the free agent class of Mike Goff, Steve Foley and Randall Godfrey? Good group. FOley was undervalued and was shot and the wound ended his career. Godfrey was two years and a thumper. Goff was a 5 year deal and for a good 4 years of that was a solid player

If the Chargers in FA can come away with three players like that: OL, LB and say interior DL - would be very happy.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Do you remember the free agent class of Mike Goff, Steve Foley and Randall Godfrey? Good group. FOley was undervalued and was shot and the wound ended his career. Godfrey was two years and a thumper. Goff was a 5 year deal and for a good 4 years of that was a solid player

If the Chargers in FA can come away with three players like that: OL, LB and say interior DL - would be very happy.
        See signature.
        Schobert. LB
        Haeg. OL.
        Coupla Joe's.
        TT level of excitement.
        Coupon shopping.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

See signature.
          Schobert. LB
          Haeg. OL.
          Coupla Joe's.
          TT level of excitement.
          Coupon shopping.
          Telesco signed Derrick Cox - early. Didn't work out
          Benjamin wasn't cheap
          Okung

I think this year - he needs to be a bit more aggressive. Not stupid. Just more strategic in free agent spending. So many teams "win free agency" in March and don't do anything during the year. I agree you build through the draft. But since the draft is 6 weeks after FA - kind of need to augment your roster at that point. He doesn't have to go crazy - just be targeted, strategic and aggressive with the RIGHT fits for the team.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Here's a list of UFA O-linemen from Spotrac as of 1-11-2020. Lots of choices here. Who do you like? Who is undervalued? If any of these get signed, please update:

image.png
            image.png
            image.png
            image.png

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

whitworth is done
              here is the thing in free agency - nobody over 30 o n the downside of their career. and if you do sign somebody like that over 30, its a one year vet minimum deal
              Conklin, Scherff, Glasnow - thats fine

Feeney doesn't have enough value for a draft pick
              Tevi and Scott - move them to OG and if they don't stick, they are at best your bench

Chargers should get OT in the draft no problem
              do you have anything more to add re: Whitworth ?? Critty showed that his pass blocking win rate was pretty close to stellar, and he's been durable.... he is not the run blocker that Okung is/AL covets and apparently he gets penalized more than you'd like, and....

as I mentioned, the only way I'd go after him is for a one year deal.... (you don't think he's worth anything more than the vet min ?)

Conklin is risky if you overpay (something our FO has done in the past), and extend him for too many years.... I say sign him for as few years as possible, to mitigate what Steve calls the FA cautionary tale, re: buyer beware.... no matter how enticing a starting RT might be.

Scherff is too much of a risk by my take, 'specially in FA, and not overly enamored by Glasgow, 'specially @FA prices.... I'd rather have Whitworth for less and for just the one year.

and how are you so sure Dan has no value.... what was the name of the Olineman we moved to Minny for a sixth rounder awhile ago.... Feeney went much higher in the draft than him (dude was an UDFA if I recall correctly)

and Tevi and Scott.... likeable enough guys, and yeah.... not sure if they stick around/make it outta training camp next year, albeit Tom def was on the uptick talking 'bout Sam.

and OT "no problem" in the draft.... have you forgotten about Mr. Fluker already ?? or maybe you're good w/Tevi and Pip come next season ?? ….(Marcus McNeill was drafted back in 2006 btw)
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

This year, it was, "FIRE WHIZ--HE'S the problem!!!"

Bolts are running out of people to fire...
                Nonsense. They have plenty more people to fire. Start with Meyers and work your way up. get to the corner office and TT can fire himself.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Here's a list of UFA O-linemen from Spotrac as of 1-11-2020. Lots of choices here. Who do you like? Who is undervalued? If any of these get signed, please update:
                  just for the record, first choice is Whitworth for $7.5m/one year, and am open to Conklin, albeit nervous 'bout our FO overpaying/overextending him ?? ….$12.5m/year, 3 years w/out after 2 years ??

Costanzo is on record as saying he prolly retires or plays for the Colts.... period.

like Quinton Spain @guard.... two years, $3m/year ??

personally was a fan of Jason Spriggs when he came out, but GBay fans are no fan of him of late.... ??

also like Ben Ijalana as a swing tackle and vet insurance in case Pip sees time as a starter ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

just for the record, first choice is Whitworth for $7.5m/one year, and am open to Conklin, albeit nervous 'bout our FO overpaying/overextending him ?? ….$12.5m/year, 3 years w/out after 2 years ??

Costanzo is on record as saying he prolly retires or plays for the Colts.... period.

like Quinton Spain @guard.... two years, $3m/year ??

personally was a fan of Jason Spriggs when he came out, but GBay fans are no fan of him of late.... ??

also like Ben Ijalana as a swing tackle and vet insurance in case Pip sees time as a starter ??
                    pretty certain whitworth would rather retire than play for 7.5 million..... football being a punishing sport.

jason spriggs was a converted tight end who has great feet but no power.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

do you have anything more to add re: Whitworth ?? Critty showed that his pass blocking win rate was pretty close to stellar, and he's been durable.... he is not the run blocker that Okung is/AL covets and apparently he gets penalized more than you'd like, and....

as I mentioned, the only way I'd go after him is for a one year deal.... (you don't think he's worth anything more than the vet min ?)

Conklin is risky if you overpay (something our FO has done in the past), and extend him for too many years.... I say sign him for as few years as possible, to mitigate what Steve calls the FA cautionary tale, re: buyer beware.... no matter how enticing a starting RT might be.

Scherff is too much of a risk by my take, 'specially in FA, and not overly enamored by Glasgow, 'specially @FA prices.... I'd rather have Whitworth for less and for just the one year.

and how are you so sure Dan has no value.... what was the name of the Olineman we moved to Minny for a sixth rounder awhile ago.... Feeney went much higher in the draft than him (dude was an UDFA if I recall correctly)

and Tevi and Scott.... likeable enough guys, and yeah.... not sure if they stick around/make it outta training camp next year, albeit Tom def was on the uptick talking 'bout Sam.

and OT "no problem" in the draft.... have you forgotten about Mr. Fluker already ?? or maybe you're good w/Tevi and Pip come next season ?? ….(Marcus McNeill was drafted back in 2006 btw)
                      I saw Whitworth play a few times and he didn't look good. I was tweeting with Krasovic - he agreed. I just don't think its wise if you want to improve your OL to expect improvement from a soon to 38 year old with a lot of snaps under his belt

I would much rather take a chance on Conklin, Scheff, Glasgow. Data shows in the NFL -- age does play a part. More chance of injury, the body takes longer to recover.

Jeremiah Sirles moved for a pick. I think Feeney has more value to the Chargers as a bench player with a cap hit of $1m than a 6th round draft choice with a cap hit of $500k/ Depth on the OL is too damn important.

And after the way TN played - I am more convinced the Chargers need to model after that: Good OL that can run the ball, good defense (so upgrade the interior) and good special teams (fire Stewart)

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I saw Whitworth play a few times and he didn't look good. I was tweeting with Krasovic - he agreed. I just don't think its wise if you want to improve your OL to expect improvement from a soon to 38 year old with a lot of snaps under his belt

I would much rather take a chance on Conklin, Scheff, Glasgow. Data shows in the NFL -- age does play a part. More chance of injury, the body takes longer to recover.

Jeremiah Sirles moved for a pick. I think Feeney has more value to the Chargers as a bench player with a cap hit of $1m than a 6th round draft choice with a cap hit of $500k/ Depth on the OL is too damn important.

And after the way TN played - I am more convinced the Chargers need to model after that: Good OL that can run the ball, good defense (so upgrade the interior) and good special teams (fire Stewart)
                        I’d add either Meyers needs to be fired or the entire OL needs to be replaced. You’re super smart, you can decide which will fix that hot mess and IM TT and AL on their new plan
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

pretty certain whitworth would rather retire than play for 7.5 million..... football being a punishing sport.

jason spriggs was a converted tight end who has great feet but no power.
                          Agree on Whitt. And the harrassment Rivers has endured here with crap OLs, I find it funny some expect him to stay for 15 mil or less when others of his stature are making more.

Comment

Working...
                          X