• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

His arm is a below average to low average arm for an NFL starting QB. I do not think I have stated anything different than that. I do not doubt that he can perform every throw. The question is just how well he performs every throw. Lofted deep out balls are going to invite INTs at the NFL level.

You and I will have to agree to disagree if you think Burrow has an above average arm. No way in hell is that true. Herbert has an above average arm for a starting NFL QB. None of the QB prospects have an elite arm. Josh Allen is an example of an elite arm.

Also, his release time seems average at best.

In the NFL, he is not likely to face defenses that rush only 3 guys for chunks of the game and yet still manage to leave 5 receivers wide open play after play like Oklahoma did. For the stats racked up, that had to be the most unimpressive performance that meant nothing that I have ever seen.
    That's just your opinion. I don't agree. And 22,23,24.....who cares about his age. If any QB is a good player you will still get 10-15 years or at least three contracts. Non-issue at all.

If he were 29 like Weeden, then you have a problem.
    In anycase, we probably won't be trading up for him so it's moot but i just don't agree with you at all.
    As for the pundits who say his arm is a question mark,....those are the same guys who are wrong a lot and probably said he same thing about Rivers,Brees, etc.

I remember one guy said Rivers should switch to TE and would never be an NFL starter. That's how much credence I put in those guys. I judge for myself.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-19-2020, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

I will try this one more time. Drafts are prospective, not retrospective in nature.

Those conducting drafts do not get the benefit of hindsight. The have to decide where to draft players based upon their observations of those players before the draft.

It is poor reasoning to say that just because one player with particular traits outperformed his draft position, all players with similar traits will outperform a similar draft position.

What is sound reasoning is to examine the traits and perform an evaluation of where a player with that particular set of traits should be drafted. When it came to drafting Montana, those involved in the draft analysis correctly identified legitimate concerns about him. A concern can be legitimate even if it does not ever manifest itself during the player's career. That is why they waited until the third round to draft him. That is precisely what they should have done based upon their knowledge before the draft.

And that is precisely the type of analysis that should be taking place with Burrow, but the Bengals may feel desperate and decide to overdraft him.

It amazes me that people want to compare Burrow with other lesser armed QBs that have done well, but they want to ignore where those lesser armed QBs were rightfully drafted. It is a complete logical disconnect. And they also want to ignore that for every Joe Montana, there are 10 Joe Blows with similar athletic traits that did not fare so well.

Lastly, if the average player enters the draft at 22 and Burrow is 23, then, yes, they will get a year less out of him than they would out of the average draftee all other things being equal. I am pretty sure I got that one right too. I have often wondered why that issue is not taken into greater consideration when it comes to early first round picks that the team hopes to have around for a long time. This was another factor that favored Dexter Lawrence over Jerry Tillery last year (though we never got the chance to draft Lawrence).

For some players, it is closer to a two year difference as it will be with Trevor Lawrence next year who is actually just short of three years younger than Burrow.
      I know drafts aren’t conducted prospectively but with hindsight we can see where errors in judgment were made. You continue to say that teams “correctly identified” concerns about Montana.

that is where we disagree. Montana’s entire career is a testament to the fact that they blew it. They INCORRECTLY identified (or weighted) concerns beyond a shadow of a doubt. It’s not even an argument yet you persist. Making mistakes like that is why the Browns had double digit starting QBs in the 00’s.

you seem to think that a player has to be perfect in every respect to justify a top pick. Humans are t made like that. Every player has weaknesses. The smart teams draft players whose strengths they can maximize and whose weaknesses they can either correct or minimize.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

His arm is a below average to low average arm for an NFL starting QB. I do not think I have stated anything different than that. I do not doubt that he can perform every throw. The question is just how well he performs every throw. Lofted deep out balls are going to invite INTs at the NFL level.

You and I will have to agree to disagree if you think Burrow has an above average arm. No way in hell is that true. Herbert has an above average arm for a starting NFL QB. None of the QB prospects have an elite arm. Josh Allen is an example of an elite arm.

Also, his release time seems average at best.

In the NFL, he is not likely to face defenses that rush only 3 guys for chunks of the game and yet still manage to leave 5 receivers wide open play after play like Oklahoma did. For the stats racked up, that had to be the most unimpressive performance that meant nothing that I have ever seen.
        I absolutely disagree with you on Burrows. He has every tool needed to succeed in the NFL and there is a reason why he will be the first pick in the draft and Herbert, with his rocket arm, won't be.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Threadcrusher more like.

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Threadcrusher more like.
            The games will be back tomorrow. Everything will be okay.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

The games will be back tomorrow. Everything will be okay.
              Yep. We’ll be back to seeing another guy you denigrated in his second consecutive afc championship game

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                I get the feeling the Chargers will be losing a lot of fans when they move on from Rivers
                and those fans will naturally gravitate towards the Burrow-led begnals
                where they can continue making excuses for why a perfect prospect never wins anything because the organization is so horrible
                no offense meant, just seeing a pattern develop
                Not happening ,, The Chargers only have about 10 true fans and I am one of them and im not going anywhere. I cant speak for the other 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yep. We’ll be back to seeing another guy you denigrated in his second consecutive afc championship game
                  Leading up to the draft, I thought Mahomes was worthy of where he was originally projected--a late first or early second round pick. Though I think like most QBs he gets too much credit at times for his team's success, especially with the loaded offense in terms of skill position players, good OL, and superior play calling the Chiefs have had, he has proven to be a little bit better than his original draft projection and worthy of the earlier first round pick the Chiefs used to select him.

At the time, I did prefer Watson to Mahomes. I think both have turned out to be good players, but Watson has had a much tougher situation in which to work with lesser OLs in front of him, though he now has a good group of WRs with which to work.

I think any comparison between the physically gifted, very strong armed Mahomes and Burrow, though, is absurd.

And just to show that I do not dislike every QB coming out for the draft that might replace Rivers, I do like Trevor Lawrence. He is the one QB that I would be tempted to trade up to get. But again, I still think that would be a big risk and the kind of risk that has failed more often than it has succeeded.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

Ok, can we cut this conversation into a different thread and get back to today’s games now?

:LOL:

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

To be honest, I have very little interest in watching these games. I may drop in for the 4th quarter, if competitive..

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                        ~ Charger Fan ~
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Jupiter, FL
                        • Send PM

I am interested in these games. The food at my Super Bowl party is always inspired by the two cities represented. I’m hoping to serve BBQ beef on sourdough rolls.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                          Ok, can we cut this conversation into a different thread and get back to today’s games now?

:LOL:
                          Today's Titans/Chiefs game should be interesting. It will answer a couple questions. Can the Chiefs be beaten using a dominate ground game? Can slower LB's keep up with the Chiefs offense? "Trenchers" and "Athletes are Football Players Too" crowds will be watching...

Comment

Working...
                          X