Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
    Ahhh living in the past.. .look at Coryell's record in College:

63. Don Coryell, 127-24-3
    Whittier (1957-59; 23-5-1) and San Diego State (1961-72; 104-19-2)

Known as the father of the vertical passing game, Coryell revolutionized his "Air Coryell" offense in 12 seasons at San Diego State, before he moved to the pros. Because the Aztecs couldn't recruit linemen and running backs against the likes of USC and UCLA, he chose to focus on quarterbacks and receivers. He helped the Aztecs move to the Division I level, and his 1967-70 teams had a streak of 31 games without a defeat. He became the first coach to win 100 games at both the college and professional levels.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...0-year-history
    Whitter in the late 50's was the home of the I-formation tailbacks/running game that USC stole and made famous as student-body right/left. Coryell was the pioneer of all of modern football, not just the passing game. Just saying.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Whitter in the late 50's was the home of the I-formation tailbacks/running game that USC stole and made famous as student-body right/left. Coryell was the pioneer of all of modern football, not just the passing game. Just saying.
      All over this one Steve.
      Thanks for mentioning.
      My brother was a Fighting Poet.
      Best team nickname ever.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't get the draw to Rivera as a HC. He had losing seasons every other year.....hey just like Lynn so far.

And before you say but, but....he went to a superbowl.
        So did Whiz as a HC and a OC and everyone is glad he was fired. Gus won a SB as a DC, you all want him fired.

We went 12-4 last year. Relax. The Rams aren't firing their HC either after a bad season.

Bieniemy is just the feel good OC right now but he has Mahomes. He isn't coming here to be a OC again or just have asst HC on his title.

Basically that means he will be the OC and probably isn't ready to be a HC but that would be the Spano's way.....which everyone is also bitching about ....hiring unproven ,cheap HCs.
        Rivera's record with Carolina is pretty good actually. He inherited a 2 -14 team and got Carolina to the playoffs 4 of the last 7 years. His problems began when the starting qb Newton started getting perennially injured.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Rivera's record with Carolina is pretty good actually. He inherited a 2 -14 team and got Carolina to the playoffs 4 of the last 7 years. His problems began when the starting qb Newton started getting perennially injured.
            He had a solid resume. He got better as a coach. He learned to adapt. He became Riverboat Ron. Now, I do think Lynn is going to come back and based on his comments at the presser - my guess, there will be changes to the coaching staff (Gus out, Milus or Rex in; a different OC - one who wants to pound the ball, Greg Roman like).

But Rivera would be an excellent head coach. More than anything if Lynn is back - he needs to work on clock and game management.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He had a solid resume. He got better as a coach. He learned to adapt. He became Riverboat Ron. Now, I do think Lynn is going to come back and based on his comments at the presser - my guess, there will be changes to the coaching staff (Gus out, Milus or Rex in; a different OC - one who wants to pound the ball, Greg Roman like).

But Rivera would be an excellent head coach. More than anything if Lynn is back - he needs to work on clock and game management.
              I hope they let Lynn choose who he wants.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I agree - he should choose he wants. But that means also working with Telesco to understand the type of football to play. You can't draft a certain type of OL and play a way that doesn't make sense. There has to be communication between Telesco and Lynn.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

For what it's worth, Popper at the Athletic was asked about the coaching staff several times and thinks there will be no major changes on the staff. Gus will be back as DC, Steichen will be back as OC, Stewart will be back for ST. I think Lynn would be much better served by some new ideas but I don't expect it.

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Lynn will only go as far as his coordinators take him. If he can't even manage the clock properly after several years, I have no faith he can choose good coordinators. He flat out sucks as a head coach. TT isn't much better as a GM.

The Chargers should actually bring in a proven head coach for once and let him choose his guys. But they won't most likely, because they're fine with mediocrity at best. That's how we got Norv, milk toast Mike and loyal Lynn in the first place.

If Spanos clan could only realize we are a lot worse than even mediocre they would pull the trigger and spend the cash to get a real leader who knows what he's doing. But based on history, I doubt it.

The sad truth is that the state of this organization from a fan's viewpoint is so much worse than even a 1-15 season in SD was. It really is the joke of the league. The owners don't care to produce a winning product and until they actually do what it takes to hire people who know what they're doing, we will be stuck in this purgatory. Our only other hope is that they sell the team or are forced to.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

For what it's worth, Popper at the Athletic was asked about the coaching staff several times and thinks there will be no major changes on the staff. Gus will be back as DC, Steichen will be back as OC, Stewart will be back for ST. I think Lynn would be much better served by some new ideas but I don't expect it.
                      This is more or less what I expect from the owners. The only positive is that expectations are an all time low so it's hard to be disappointed.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Wouldn't mind a better OL coach

Comment

• PR#1
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

This is correct. Lynn and the staff will get one more year to right the ship.

Comment

Working...
                          X