Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

That insider's take is from John himself:

John Spanos was named President of Football Operations for the Chargers in May 2015. He oversees all of the team’s football operations, including player personnel, coaching, player finance and the salary cap, medical, equipment…

In 2003 Spanos began working full-time as a scout. He methodically worked his way up through the organization before his career took a giant leap forward in 2013 when he was named Executive Vice President of Football Operations. This new position afforded him the opportunity to put his first big imprint on the organization, and he did just that as a key member of the selection committee responsible for the hiring of General Manager Tom Telesco.

Spanos has seen his role in the NFL Draft grow exponentially since his ascension in 2013, and the results have been overwhelmingly positive. The 2014 draft class was headlined by cornerback Jason Verrett… the 2017 draft class received high marks from media pundits as the team brought in… Mike Williams and… Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney.

The 2017 season will mark Spanos’ 22nd year in the NFL and his 19th with the team, with previous assignments within the organization including stints as a pro and college scout (2003-05), assistant director of college scouting (2006-07) and director of college scouting (2008-12).

It’s no coincidence that Spanos’ ascension within the organization coincided with one of the most successful eras on the field in franchise history.
    Spanos continues to work closely with McGuire. They have managed the salary cap and retained some of the team’s top players, negotiating multiple contract extensions…

Staying true to his scouting roots, Spanos serves on the board of directors for National Football Scouting and is an Honorary Member of the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) Athletic Board.

Do you not sense a fluff piece here ?

The "insider's take" narrative continues
    with wild guessing that John Spanos makes the picks, takes credit for good picks, and then watches Telesco take the heat for bad picks.

The real input comes from Telesco, the scouting staff, and assistant coaches.

Ed McGuire used to work in the league office. His expertise at salaries, contracts and cap issues is impeccable.

But I did read somewhere that John Spanos has made more holes in one while golfing than Kim Jong-Un.

It is out there that Charger fans blame John Spanos for our draft woes,
    without really being able to substantiate it...just mindless venting from windbaggy armchair gm's who want to convince the world how much they know about football.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Do you not sense a fluff piece here ?

The "insider's take" narrative continues
      with wild guessing that John Spanos makes the picks, takes credit for good picks, and then watches Telesco take the heat for bad picks.

The real input comes from Telesco, the scouting staff, and assistant coaches.

Ed McGuire used to work in the league office. His expertise at salaries, contracts and cap issues is impeccable.

But I did read somewhere that John Spanos has made more holes in one while golfing than Kim Jong-Un.

It is out there that Charger fans blame John Spanos for our draft woes,
      without really being able to substantiate it...just mindless venting from windbaggy armchair gm's who want to convince the world how much they know about football.

Yeah, why believe my lion-ize when I can have the wisdom of wu? I really wish you'd get Chargers.com to get their facts straight.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

Yeah, why believe my lion-ize when I can have the wisdom of wu? I really wish you'd get Chargers.com to get their facts straight.
        I am curious.
        How much input do you think John Spanos has ?
        I picture him being too busy with all the various aspects of serving as Team President.
        He maybe sticks his head in the room to cast a tiebreaking vote here and there.
        I think our bigger problem is not better developing the players we draft.

Your wisdom would be appreciated...

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Little Johnny nepotism has been involved in scouting in general for a long time or so the article states.Truthfully I hope he isnt too involved in the draft nowadays because you can always fire a GM and or scouts not so easy to shitcan an idiot owner.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I am curious.
            I picture him being too busy with all the various aspects of serving as Team President.

Even if he's a "legacy", according to his bio, he put in the time.
            If he's a credentialed member of a meritocratic organization's structure, I'm only going on what the Team is saying about him.
            If he actually believes what all of his paperwork & certificates say, then I have no reason to believe he wouldn't be responsible for making the decisions he says he has.

We do have a development problem.
            Are some players destined to be busts, or is any player able to be coached-up?
            We also have a habit of drafting players who are injured or recovering from injury as we draft them.
            Given the newer rules about OTAs and restraints on coaching time, and an added rehab time for their injuries, is that playing a key factor in their ability to develop, or is it because the coaching isn't there?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

There is a problem with player development in the trenches.

Feeney/Tevi.
              JJones/Tillery.

The solution is NOT to draft a player as "good" as Schofield, Tevi or Justin Jones in round three, or in several rounds.

Then we would have Schofield level talent with no NFL experience.

Nobody is against fixing the trenches.

Don't forget that all phases of football are connected

Agree on all points. No more 3rd thru 7th round picks on OL. Draft them early.

1st round OT
              2nd round OC.

Go get a real OG and RT in FA.

The QB's performance is connected (along with RB, WR, TE) to quality OL play. Fix it first. If I see another RB or WR drafted in the 1st round before we fix that OL.. I'm gonna puke. Go bold or go home.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Agree on all points. No more 3rd thru 7th round picks on OL. Draft them early.

1st round OT
                2nd round OC.

Go get a real OG and RT in FA.

The QB's performance is connected (along with RB, WR, TE) to quality OL play. Fix it first. If I see another RB or WR drafted in the 1st round before we fix that OL.. I'm gonna puke. Go bold or go home.
                I really like these top OTs, Nutty !

And I don't believe we can get Conklin
                while Rivers and his cap number are here.

Man we need some juice at Oline...some talent. It falls apart like a house of cards.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I really like these top OTs, Nutty !

And I don't believe we can get Conklin
                  while Rivers and his cap number are here.

Man we need some juice at Oline...some talent. It falls apart like a house of cards.
                  We could get Conklin... just got to move on from Okung's cap number. There are a number of OT's this draft that I would take in the 1st round, regardless if they're BPA or not.

BTW... congrats to Drew Brees as he just passed Peyton Manning for all-time TD passes.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

$37m in (additional) cap space by letting go of Okung, Tyrod, Thomas Davis and Mebane.

and not sure Ron Rivera is so much of a departure from AL, not to mention he will have plenty of options from what I've read, and re: Mike McCarthy.... have you talked to many/any Pack fans 'bout that ??

and re: development, you can squarely put me in the lack of talent dept.... what about Ekeler and Mike D. and others ?? and whereas our draft history is very avg, and....

John Spanos early on clearly said himself that his hands are all over the draft.... eye would wager that he is instrumental in all elements/phases of this football operation.... if you don't have talent, you don't have much in the NFL, and not only that.... he is a bit smug about things, as once upon a time he even mentioned that "it wasn't that hard." ….making (good) draft picks.
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Just read the cheatriots GM is a free agent next season and will be fielding offers.Man lil Johnny if ever there was a time to be bold,to nut up or shut up here it is.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        $37m in (additional) cap space by letting go of Okung, Tyrod, Thomas Davis and Mebane.

and not sure Ron Rivera is so much of a departure from AL, not to mention he will have plenty of options from what I've read, and re: Mike McCarthy.... have you talked to many/any Pack fans 'bout that ??

and re: development, you can squarely put me in the lack of talent dept.... what about Ekeler and Mike D. and others ?? and whereas our draft history is very avg, and....

John Spanos early on clearly said himself that his hands are all over the draft.... eye would wager that he is instrumental in all elements/phases of this football operation.... if you don't have talent, you don't have much in the NFL, and not only that.... he is a bit smug about things, as once upon a time he even mentioned that "it wasn't that hard." ….making (good) draft picks.
                        Johnny boy is too dumb to know the difference in a good or bad draft. He expects then all to turn out great, well that isn't happening and never does.

Also don't see them letting Tyrod go. Benjamin, yes.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I am curious.

I tend to agree, lack of player development looks to be a bigger problem than personnel decisions.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X