Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
    Seems to me a lot of Telesco picks prior to Staley are square peg in round hole now they just need to suck it up and move on.
    I agree with this

Murray - the coaches need to find his best position and he needs to bust it this offseason. If that is ILB even with White and Dru, so be it. If not, move on

Tillery - not the best run defender, better pass rusher so either add players to make him a pass rusher or just move on

Stick and Gilman - the same

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Telesco track record of building the roster.
      What would you grade him in these areas?

Special Teams?

Offensive Line?

Defense?

Depth?

Skill Players?

Free agency, others?

Free agency, own?

Draft?

I don't see any area where I would say he gets an A.
      The best I would give him is a B for skills players with Herbert, Allen, Williams, Ekeler and even Henry and Gordon. So i trust he can get me some skills players.

Special teams is a D- and Hopkins and Roberts are the only reason it isn't an F.

Offensive line is a C-. I give him credit for trying but the results have been mostly poor.

Defense is a C. They had 2 good top 10 defenses in 2017 and 2018. And what those defenses had that really worked was a great #1 CB in his prime Hayward. And edge rushers Bosa, Ingram and run stuffer Mebane on the DL. In 2017 both Bosa and Ingram had double digit sacks. In 2018 Derwin was added and the team went 12-4. Other than these 2 seasons Telesco built defenses have been avg or poor.

Depth. Have to give him a D. Typical good depth will mean better special teams and his special teams have been awful.
      The RB room should always be stacked IMO, and it has been thin last couple seasons. Secondary and edge rushers being so key in modern NFL should be the area where you just keep stacking talent. You can never have enough good corners.

Free agency, others. I give him a C here. He has found a few very good starters and didn't break the bank to get them like Hayward and Linsley.

Free agency, own. I give him a C as I think a couple of players that develop into solid starters were not retained that could have been resigned and it created holes to patch up and a feeling of 1 step forward 1 step back and you are going nowhere.

Draft, I give him a C. I think his trade ups have not proven to be worth it. And his reaches have failed, which isn't surprising....there's a reason the consensus view is wow that's a reach, he was a 5-7 udfa player, but Telesco spent the 3rd Rd pick. Drafting the player 2 rds higher than consensus rank.

Telesco overall cumulative grade: C
      The man is an average GM and the Chargers have also been average during his tenure.

You want really change in the product, you need to buy better ingredients. None of your cooks can elevate some of the garbage you have been giving them. Yet some of your cooks show #1 dishes when cooking at other restaurants with better ingredients. So we know they can cook really well.
      What we haven't seen is the GM shopping usually brings back the best cuts of meat. There have been some very tough and gamey groceries that the cooks are struggling to spice up into a winner.

And I keep going back to the restaurant thinking maybe today the special will be fantastic. And once in a blue moon it is. But normally it's just ok at best. It will feed you, but you won't recommend it to anyone that loves food.

He’s a C-minus student after 9 years in our university. It’s time to give another student a seat in the class
      as to John Jr, if said new student isn’t smart enough to get the best of JJ and convince him to support the new student’s ways, he’s probably going to suck at the job anyway because everyone else he’ll have to deal with are probably tougher than JJ.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
        I'm not trying to defend Telesco, however I would note the following...

1) Trading Back: You have to have a dance partner. If no one wants to give you anything close to what you want, you have to stay put. I don't know what's said in those phone calls or the quality of any trade offers or counters. Neither does anyone else here.

2) Signing Free Agents: Some of his FA signings have been bad. Some have been great. What we don't know is how many free agents don't want to play for the Chargers. And you can't sign great players if they simply aren't interested. Maybe it's the organization as a whole, maybe it's state taxes, or maybe there's just better teams out there with better offers.

3) Slater, Herbert, Bosa: Anyone would have taken them? I see this a lot, but it's not true. When DJ first had Slater over Sewell, people thought he was nuts, me included. There was debate on Slater vs Darrisaw. There was talk of taking Caleb Farley, the next Ramsey. People wanted to trade up for Sewell. How would we feel if that happened? Before Herbert was drafted, there was a lot of talk about getting Isaiah Simmons or a left tackle in the first. Before Bosa was drafted, there was talk about drafting Buckner. Even Jason Verrett came out in favor of drafting DeForest Buckner. Man up and give credit where credit it due.

Most of his 1st overall picks have been great. After that he's average at best. His overall record and zero division titles are the best arguments for his firing.

I don't think he's gone after the season, so I'm hoping that after nine years he's learned enough lessons and figured his shit out, so that we might actually have one of the better GM's in the league.
        if it were taxes, the Rams wouldn’t sign anyone either. I don’t think he’s gone either. I wanted Herbert and did not want Tua.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'd rather spend our time courting Derwin James for $10 million a year than trying to get Mike Williams to a decent contract. Mike Williams will go play for some scrub team if the Guaranteed money and annual salary is big enough. Some team that has No one at WR will overpay for him. Maybe he goes to Jax for Trever Lawrance as they seem to have the money and minimal receiving core. This is the scenario I envision next year. I'd rather we get another 3rd round pick for the following year and then combine two thirds and move up in the draft for the following year. I don't think Mike gives two poops about the Chargers and will go play for the highest bidder. When they get tired of his of his injury shenanigans he might be out of football after year number 3 with the other team.

:smoking:
          Derwin isn’t signing for $10m per.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Derwin, with all of his talents, is injury prone, and that has to be a consideration when signing him to a long-term contract, for any team. He missed most of two seasons with injuries. When the Chiefs game hung in the balance in OT, he was on the sidelines with an injury. The same injury kept him out of the Houston game, when a decimated Chargers' secondary was carved up. I don't know what Derwin's value is, to be honest, or how hard the Chargers should try to sign him. The team has to decide whether it's worth it to invest so much money and cap space in a player who is only slightly more durable than Jason Verrett.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I think for the Chargers - just let Dervwin play out his 5th year option. Actually I think it makes sense for Derwin too.

Comment

• Tol
                From Accounting
                • Mar 2019
                • Carlsbad
                • Send PM

if it were taxes, the Rams wouldn’t sign anyone either. I don’t think he’s gone either. I wanted Herbert and did not want Tua.
                True. If Bosa didn't have a problem resigning, then I doubt taxes are that big of an issue.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

True. If Bosa didn't have a problem resigning, then I doubt taxes are that big of an issue.
                  Los Angeles has certain commercial advantages for elite players that Indianapolis lacks.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think for the Chargers - just let Dervwin play out his 5th year option. Actually I think it makes sense for Derwin too.
                    Yup! I know that as well and it's around $9 mill and worth the gamble.

:Cheers1:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                    X