Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
    I'm not trying to defend Telesco, however I would note the following...

1) Trading Back: You have to have a dance partner. If no one wants to give you anything close to what you want, you have to stay put. I don't know what's said in those phone calls or the quality of any trade offers or counters. Neither does anyone else here.

2) Signing Free Agents: Some of his FA signings have been bad. Some have been great. What we don't know is how many free agents don't want to play for the Chargers. And you can't sign great players if they simply aren't interested. Maybe it's the organization as a whole, maybe it's state taxes, or maybe there's just better teams out there with better offers.

3) Slater, Herbert, Bosa: Anyone would have taken them? I see this a lot, but it's not true. When DJ first had Slater over Sewell, people thought he was nuts, me included. There was debate on Slater vs Darrisaw. There was talk of taking Caleb Farley, the next Ramsey. People wanted to trade up for Sewell. How would we feel if that happened? Before Herbert was drafted, there was a lot of talk about getting Isaiah Simmons or a left tackle in the first. Before Bosa was drafted, there was talk about drafting Buckner. Even Jason Verrett came out in favor of drafting DeForest Buckner. Man up and give credit where credit it due.

Most of his 1st overall picks have been great. After that he's average at best. His overall record and zero division titles are the best arguments for his firing.

I don't think he's gone after the season, so I'm hoping that after nine years he's learned enough lessons and figured his shit out, so that we might actually have one of the better GM's in the league.
    Good post and sound logic and truth .

Everyone here thinks every player would want to come play for the Chargers.

Me,...I fucking hate LA, the traffic and CA taxes. Weather is the only good thing about CA imo. But I'd play there over Detroit, Chicago or anywhere where it snows. Not a fan of snow and icy roads.

And some only care about the money.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Telesco will be here for at least the next 2 - 3 years.
      unfortunately that is true...... but maybe Staley will get more say in who gets drafted.... this past draft was better than most of TT's so maybe Staley had some say in it???

Sad part is TT has been doing a horrible job at drafting for many years:

TT has only hit on a handful of no-brainer 1st round picks: Bosa, James, Herbert, Slater...... most people would have chosen those and trashed TT for not selecting them.....
      MW was a good but not great choice.....especially at pick 7......
      TT has sucked after the first round.....After the first round, I swear we could have done better just throwing darts at a wall full of names blindfolded and spun around....

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
        I'm not trying to defend Telesco, however I would note the following...

1) Trading Back: You have to have a dance partner. If no one wants to give you anything close to what you want, you have to stay put. I don't know what's said in those phone calls or the quality of any trade offers or counters. Neither does anyone else here.

2) Signing Free Agents: Some of his FA signings have been bad. Some have been great. What we don't know is how many free agents don't want to play for the Chargers. And you can't sign great players if they simply aren't interested. Maybe it's the organization as a whole, maybe it's state taxes, or maybe there's just better teams out there with better offers.

3) Slater, Herbert, Bosa: Anyone would have taken them? I see this a lot, but it's not true. When DJ first had Slater over Sewell, people thought he was nuts, me included. There was debate on Slater vs Darrisaw. There was talk of taking Caleb Farley, the next Ramsey. People wanted to trade up for Sewell. How would we feel if that happened? Before Herbert was drafted, there was a lot of talk about getting Isaiah Simmons or a left tackle in the first. Before Bosa was drafted, there was talk about drafting Buckner. Even Jason Verrett came out in favor of drafting DeForest Buckner. Man up and give credit where credit it due.

Most of his 1st overall picks have been great. After that he's average at best. His overall record and zero division titles are the best arguments for his firing.

I don't think he's gone after the season, so I'm hoping that after nine years he's learned enough lessons and figured his shit out, so that we might actually have one of the better GM's in the league.
        1) Trading back is about where you are drafting and who is there...... NE trades back often because with brady they always drafted near end of first round after all the elite nearly cant miss players are usually gone by middle of first round..... not smart to pass on elite players for 2 so-so players like we stupidly did passing on Polumalu, for 2 so -so DB's who were never great....

2) I think TT has been ok at signing FA's, better this past off season because he threw real money at the best OC available and maybe the best in NFL..... but most of his choices have been low budget so-so guys...nothing special....

3) Slater, Herbert, Bosa: Anyone would have taken them?.... Absolutely YESSSSSS!!!!!!......and you have to consider where they were taken...... Bosa was universally the top player in country for 2 years and number one player on most if not every teams board.... Dallas was stunned and speechless when we took him instead of the rumors of Ramsey..... because Dallas was going to take Bosa.... Yes every would have taken Burrow if he fell to our sot but he went number one and Herbert dropped to us despite WASH also needing a QB.... but Herbert was BPA..... so was Slater at 13....so was James where we drafted him.... Those picks did not require massive research ....they could have consulted fans or buddies on any other team.....lol

Where TT has failed massively are his so so choices in his other first round picks: Fluker, Gordon, Tillery, MW, Murray, and that other RB from fresno st who was made of glass.....
        worst is his complete failure after the first round....... in all his years: KA may be his only great choice after the 1st round..... no good or solid beef on either line, no great CB's, no great WR's....no great LBers.... Aderley may turn out to be a very good one..... but those are very rare for TT.....

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

1) Trading back is about where you are drafting and who is there...... NE trades back often because with brady they always drafted near end of first round after all the elite nearly cant miss players are usually gone by middle of first round..... not smart to pass on elite players for 2 so-so players like we stupidly did passing on Polumalu, for 2 so -so DB's who were never great....

2) I think TT has been ok at signing FA's, better this past off season because he threw real money at the best OC available and maybe the best in NFL..... but most of his choices have been low budget so-so guys...nothing special....

3) Slater, Herbert, Bosa: Anyone would have taken them?.... Absolutely YESSSSSS!!!!!!......and you have to consider where they were taken...... Bosa was universally the top player in country for 2 years and number one player on most if not every teams board.... Dallas was stunned and speechless when we took him instead of the rumors of Ramsey..... because Dallas was going to take Bosa.... Yes every would have taken Burrow if he fell to our sot but he went number one and Herbert dropped to us despite WASH also needing a QB.... but Herbert was BPA..... so was Slater at 13....so was James where we drafted him.... Those picks did not require massive research ....they could have consulted fans or buddies on any other team.....lol

Where TT has failed massively are his so so choices in his other first round picks: Fluker, Gordon, Tillery, MW, Murray, and that other RB from fresno st who was made of glass.....
          worst is his complete failure after the first round....... in all his years: KA may be his only great choice after the 1st round..... no good or solid beef on either line, no great CB's, no great WR's....no great LBers.... Aderley may turn out to be a very good one..... but those are very rare for TT.....
          I certainly do not consider Gordon and MW failed picks. They have produced for us and if Gordon wasn't unrealistic in his own worth moneywise, he may still be here.

Also if we had this offensive scheme, MW would have better numbers in his career. More opportunities in this offense.

As for the Fresno st RB made of glass, that was Ryan Mathews. AJ Smith drafted him.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            I certainly do not consider Gordon and MW failed picks. They have produced for us and if Gordon wasn't unrealistic in his own worth moneywise, he may still be here.

Also if we had this offensive scheme, MW would have better numbers in his career. More opportunities in this offense.

As for the Fresno st RB made of glass, that was Ryan Mathews. AJ Smith drafted him.
            100 percent on everything you state here. MGIII was not a failed pick. He was a beast for most of the time he was a Charger. He is 5th on the all time TD list for the Chargers franchise, with 47 total touchdowns scored. He didn't score a TD as a rookie, but in his 2nd-4th seasons he was a scoring demon. He scored 14 TDs in 2018 alone. Unfortunately he decided to hold out in 2019 - a bad decision on this part. But he did play in 12 games and scored 9 times.

Mike Williams may not have lived up to his No. 7 overall billing. But he is no way a failed pick. That is ridiculous.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

100 percent on everything you state here. MGIII was not a failed pick. He was a beast for most of the time he was a Charger. He is 5th on the all time TD list for the Chargers franchise, with 47 total touchdowns scored. He didn't score a TD as a rookie, but in his 2nd-4th seasons he was a scoring demon. He scored 14 TDs in 2018 alone. Unfortunately he decided to hold out in 2019 - a bad decision on this part. But he did play in 12 games and scored 9 times.

Mike Williams may not have lived up to his No. 7 overall billing. But he is no way a failed pick. That is ridiculous.
              I'd rather spend our time courting Derwin James for $10 million a year than trying to get Mike Williams to a decent contract. Mike Williams will go play for some scrub team if the Guaranteed money and annual salary is big enough. Some team that has No one at WR will overpay for him. Maybe he goes to Jax for Trever Lawrance as they seem to have the money and minimal receiving core. This is the scenario I envision next year. I'd rather we get another 3rd round pick for the following year and then combine two thirds and move up in the draft for the following year. I don't think Mike gives two poops about the Chargers and will go play for the highest bidder. When they get tired of his of his injury shenanigans he might be out of football after year number 3 with the other team.

:smoking:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Charge! View Post

1. Players are rarely known elite players at the time they are drafted. Polamalu is a perfect example of this concept. There was no consensus concerning him. That is why we did not draft him. It is often very smart to trade back if the opportunity presents itself. Because players are often not sure things, having more bullets to fire at the target is useful.

2. As you have stated, Telesco has bene okay with free agents--some hits some misses.

3. Dallas wanted Elliott all along. It was the worst kept secret in the Metroplex. Bosa was not universally the top player in the country for two years. That is crazy talk. Hell, he was arguably not even the top rated player on his own college team entering the draft. Due to being double and triple teamed, he did not have a strong final season in college statistically. His pre-draft testing produced some so-so numbers. Had we not taken him at #3 overall, he might have fallen quite a bit in the draft as his best fit was as a 4-3 DE and there were a number of 3-4 teams with other needs drafting after us, which may have served to limit the number of landing spots for him, though we will never know.

4. Regarding our first round picks, there was discussion of not taking a QB when we took Herbert, so Telesco should get credit for selecting Herbert. He was not the obvious choice you make him out to be. James was obvious and Slater was obvious based on need, but some, including myself, had concerns about Slater's size/arm length.

Williams is a good player. He was not a massive fail at all. The only arguably better player at a position of need that was ranked in the same general range in which he was ranked was Lattimore. We were not drafting a QB at that time, so that rules out Mahomes and Watson, which is good as it turns out because Herbert is better than both of those guys. McCaffrey gas been very injury prone. So who were we supposed to draft?

Gordon was a bad trade up, but he had reasonable value as a mid first round pick as well. He did make two Pro Bowls while playing for us. Mathews was underrated and not drafted by Telesco.

Verrett was a risk that did not pan out due to injury issues, but he was a Pro Bowler for us also.

Fluker was a need based gamble pick in a draft where there was only one other first round OT taken in the final 21 picks of the first round after Fluker was taken. Sure, there were some lower rated OTs that ended up being Pro Bowl caliber players, but nobody had those players rated as first round draft candidates.

Tillery was a fail, no doubt.

Murray might just be a bad fit for what we are trying to do on defense. The jury is still out on him. He does have some physical potential.

5. Regarding Telesco's other picks, Perryman is a Pro Bowler this year for the Raiders. He had some injury issues, but has always been pretty good, especially against the run. Henry is having a nice season for the Patriots. People on this forum seem to like Palmer. Allen is a multiple Pro Bowler. Jenkins, Tranquill and White have all been good 4th round picks. Desmond King has been a good value as a 5th round pick. Tevi has made two NFL rosters as a 6th round pick as has Rochelle as a 7th round pick. Philon has made multiple rosters and has produced a couple of sacks for the Raiders this year, which is solid value for a 6th round pick. Derek Watt is a special teams contributor for the Steelers. Jones has good value for a 3rd round pick. Jackson represents good value for a 7th round pick.

Clearly, Telesco's greatest failure has been in round 3 where he has a large number of misses. But overall, he has not been a horrible drafter. He is mediocre.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

1. Players are rarely known elite players at the time they are drafted. Polamalu is a perfect example of this concept. There was no consensus concerning him. That is why we did not draft him. It is often very smart to trade back if the opportunity presents itself. Because players are often not sure things, having more bullets to fire at the target is useful.

2. As you have stated, Telesco has bene okay with free agents--some hits some misses.

3. Dallas wanted Elliott all along. It was the worst kept secret in the Metroplex. Bosa was not universally the top player in the country for two years. That is crazy talk. Hell, he was arguably not even the top rated player on his own college team entering the draft. Due to being double and triple teamed, he did not have a strong final season in college statistically. His pre-draft testing produced some so-so numbers. Had we not taken him at #3 overall, he might have fallen quite a bit in the draft as his best fit was as a 4-3 DE and there were a number of 3-4 teams with other needs drafting after us, which may have served to limit the number of landing spots for him, though we will never know.

4. Regarding our first round picks, there was discussion of not taking a QB when we took Herbert, so Telesco should get credit for selecting Herbert. He was not the obvious choice you make him out to be. James was obvious and Slater was obvious based on need, but some, including myself, had concerns about Slater's size/arm length.

Williams is a good player. He was not a massive fail at all. The only arguably better player at a position of need that was ranked in the same general range in which he was ranked was Lattimore. We were not drafting a QB at that time, so that rules out Mahomes and Watson, which is good as it turns out because Herbert is better than both of those guys. McCaffrey gas been very injury prone. So who were we supposed to draft?

Gordon was a bad trade up, but he had reasonable value as a mid first round pick as well. He did make two Pro Bowls while playing for us. Mathews was underrated and not drafted by Telesco.

Verrett was a risk that did not pan out due to injury issues, but he was a Pro Bowler for us also.

Fluker was a need based gamble pick in a draft where there was only one other first round OT taken in the final 21 picks of the first round after Fluker was taken. Sure, there were some lower rated OTs that ended up being Pro Bowl caliber players, but nobody had those players rated as first round draft candidates.

Tillery was a fail, no doubt.

Murray might just be a bad fit for what we are trying to do on defense. The jury is still out on him. He does have some physical potential.

5. Regarding Telesco's other picks, Perryman is a Pro Bowler this year for the Raiders. He had some injury issues, but has always been pretty good, especially against the run. Henry is having a nice season for the Patriots. People on this forum seem to like Palmer. Allen is a multiple Pro Bowler. Jenkins, Tranquill and White have all been good 4th round picks. Desmond King has been a good value as a 5th round pick. Tevi has made two NFL rosters as a 6th round pick as has Rochelle as a 7th round pick. Philon has made multiple rosters and has produced a couple of sacks for the Raiders this year, which is solid value for a 6th round pick. Derek Watt is a special teams contributor for the Steelers. Jones has good value for a 3rd round pick. Jackson represents good value for a 7th round pick.

Clearly, Telesco's greatest failure has been in round 3 where he has a large number of misses. But overall, he has not been a horrible drafter. He is mediocre.
                  I actually think last years draft was his best because the jury is still out. Slater is a hit, Palmer looks serviceable as a 3rd receiver. Rumph looks like a steal where drafted him. Mckitty is still developing and could be a serviceable blocking TE. Asante Samuel is the only question mark because he's a little bit of a hothead who is making a ton of rookie mistakes. Hoping he turns out at least decent DB.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

In 9 full season, John Spanos & Tom Telesco haven't produced a .500 record.

I've been patient for a decade. Basta! Both you two, get your ass out of personnel decisions and fuck off.

Mike Mayock is nearly .500 after 3 seasons. Mayock still has more executive talent than Telesco.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

I think the Texans loss is more on Telesco than anyone else.

Yeah we know we are better more talented team than the Texans but take away our top level players and put depth on depth and even the lowly texans offense lit us up with a defensive matermind coach. Thats all on Telesco
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                        I think the Texans loss is more on Telesco than anyone else.

Yeah we know we are better more talented team than the Texans but take away our top level players and put depth on depth and even the lowly texans offense lit us up with a defensive matermind coach. Thats all on Telesco
                        I have always thought this year reflected more on Telesco than Staley.

You can add John Boy and you might also be able to add Deano Spanii to this. Ask me in March when I see how they operate during free agency about Deano and his "willingness to win"

And after 9 years, zero divisions, two maybe three playoffs - can only hope 2022 free agency and draft are on par with 2021 - if thats the case, and the right positions are hit on, could be positive signs.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Seems to me a lot of Telesco picks prior to Staley are square peg in round hole now they just need to suck it up and move on.

Comment

Working...
                          X