• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We allowed far too many chunk run plays. His 2022 season, along with all our D was tainted by that fact. If he were graded only on pass D or blitz, he's have made the list. We were the #7 pass D.
    His position title implies a "safety net" that was inadequate vs run.
    Most of those "chunk run plays" weren't on Derwin. Teams pretty much stayed away from him. Adderly and the LB's mostly got burned. Adderly and Tranquill are gone and Murray Jr's replacement got drafted round 3.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Most of those "chunk run plays" weren't on Derwin. Teams pretty much stayed away from him. Adderly and the LB's mostly got burned. Adderly and Tranquill are gone and Murray Jr's replacement got drafted round 3.
      I know. There were reasons. It doesn't matter if you aren't a Chargers fan. DJ was a starting S on a D that stunk vs run, period.
      He would need something like 5 sacks and 4 pick 6's to remove that stink.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

Not too mention getting torched on that game-winning TD to Kelce in SoFi on national TV (and now showcased on Netflix's Quarterbacks). That did not help the James mystique...

(still can't figure out what he was doing on that play?)
        Wow, I have been calling out that play for months as the reason I think Derwin is overrated and overpaid. Derwin's defenders and bromancers are not going to be happy about this. Just to be clear, I do think highly of Derwin and am glad he is a Charger. I think he has elite skills, but his play on the field has not been elite and the defense had some of its best games last season when Derwin was not on the field.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Well Derwin got trucked by Atlanta RB Tyler Allgeier last season in addition to being burned by Travis Kelce for the Chief's game-winning TD.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Interesting that Derwin James is not among the top 11 safeties in the NFL. He does get an honorable mention though.
            Is your real name Doug Farrar?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Not too mention getting torched on that game-winning TD to Kelce in SoFi on national TV (and now showcased on Netflix's Quarterbacks). That did not help the James mystique...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnN8qnfYBSY (2021)
              Travis Kelce is hard to defend. Here is a clip of Kelce making Tranquill and Adderly look bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuHX6VDR2vs (2022)
              Derwin actually plays Kelce pretty well for most of the game. On the last TD, Derwin plays Kelce's outside shoulder (suggesting outside contain... and inside help... which he didn't get). A lot of Kelce's success is due to play design. He gets a lot of picks from his WR's.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

True, however lets keep in mind it was Travis Kelce, a likely future HOF'er.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Well Derwin got trucked by Atlanta RB Tyler Allgeier last season in addition to being burned by Travis Kelce for the Chief's game-winning TD.
                  Cherry picking doesn't help your side. He was a star player on a defense that didn't accomplish a primary job.
                  Nobody was THE game changer in that Chargers D bucket of turds. Staley, Mack, Bosa, SJD, Vato, 'Sant, DJ, no body and I think they can't wait to put that in the past.
                  It's a team sport and needs a team reaction. Then they can all share in the glory.
                  Amen.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    Haters gonna hate …
                    Too harsh; 'Skeptics gonna be skeptical' is more accurate.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Too harsh; 'Skeptics gonna be skeptical' is more accurate.
                      Fans exaggerate. It's part of the gig. Not I, of course.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Cherry picking doesn't help your side. He was a star player on a defense that didn't accomplish a primary job.
                        Nobody was THE game changer in that Chargers D bucket of turds. Staley, Mack, Bosa, SJD, Vato, 'Sant, DJ, no body and I think they can't wait to put that in the past.
                        It's a team sport and needs a team reaction. Then they can all share in the glory.
                        Amen.
                        Cherry picking? No, I don't think I'm doing that. Look, I'm not saying Derwin is a bad player. I think he's a good player and I'm glad he is a Charger. All I and a group of fans have been saying is that Derwin's play has not been elite, but he's being paid to be elite and when you have an elite salary and cap tied up in one player who is not playing at or close to an elite level, it's a problem for the team.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Cherry picking? No, I don't think I'm doing that. Look, I'm not saying Derwin is a bad player. I think he's a good player and I'm glad he is a Charger. All I and a group of fans have been saying is that Derwin's play has not been elite, but he's being paid to be elite and when you have an elite salary and cap tied up in one player who is not playing at or close to an elite level, it's a problem for the team.
                          Travis Kelce calls Derwin James, "...one of the best, if not THE best, safeties in the NFL..."

Comment

Working...
                          X