• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Does Rivers get sacked 4 times in this game? Did his running backs get stuffed repeatedly at the line of scrimmage? Did he get the benefit of two defensive turnovers or a kickoff return past the 45 yard line? Taylor had everything working for him and still they were lucky to win.

When Rivers had the luxury of going into game manager mode, he could do that: see the playoff victories over Cincy, Baltimore, Indiannapolis.

Tyrod did not have the Colts o-line in front of him....so he didn't have that to work with. And from what has been stated repeatedly on this forum that was the biggest issue facing the Chargers QB for years. And Tyrod inherited that same problem and found a way to win his 1st start.

Rivers got an oline finally....but I see you have found more excuses for him. I can't win this arguement if you move the targeted problem of o-line and point at a new targets to excuse the loss that Rivers lead his team into. So you win. Your right. And I'm wrong. Because I will always be wrong in this debate as long as the target keeps moving.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Once again, Tyrod was the beneficiary of a ground game that carved up the Colts: why are you pretending the Oline is the same group from last year? It was you who made the comment that Rivers would have thrown 2 interceptions and they would have lost. I'm merely providing some semblance of context. Remember last years ground game? It set a record for ineptitude. Did you see this years oline? It paved the way for 150 yards on the ground (4.8 ypc from the rbs), two sacks, zero holding penalties. Why is this meaningless to you? Last year, that would have been the wettest of dreams for Rivers.

Lets see how Tyrod does when he's been sacked four times, the rushing game has only 35 yards, and the defense hasn't got a turnover after 3 quarters. Its no longer time to play it safe because you're down by 14 points.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Once again, Tyrod was the beneficiary of a ground game that carved up the Colts: why are you pretending the Oline is the same group from last year? It was you who made the comment that Rivers would have thrown 2 interceptions and they would have lost. I'm merely providing some semblance of context. Remember last years ground game? It set a record for ineptitude. Did you see this years oline? It paved the way for 150 yards on the ground (4.8 ypc from the rbs), two sacks, zero holding penalties. Why is this meaningless to you? Last year, that would have been the wettest of dreams for Rivers.

Lets see how Tyrod does when he's been sacked four times, the rushing game has only 35 yards, and the defense hasn't got a turnover after 3 quarters. Its no longer time to play it safe because you're down by 14 points.
        A ground game behind suspect o line of Chargers with Tevi at LT and two starters out for the game.

Yet the great oline on Colts....issues for them running the ball and allowing 4 sacks..........interesting.....

Are you saying somehow Chargers now have the much better o line than Colts? Because you just posted Chargers o-line would be the wettest dream for Rivers....wow. Talk about moving the goalposts.

Context.....which O-line is really the better o-line?
        Chargers or Colts?......take your time.

Rivers leaves and all of a sudden the Charger o line is a juggernaut. LOL. Wow.

:idby:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Hopefully no one is trying to imply that it was not time to move on from Philip Rivers.

This is mental masterbation.

/thread
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            Hopefully no one is trying to imply that it was not time to move on from Philip Rivers.

This is mental masterbation.

/thread
            But Rivers wettest dream was to have the Chargers o-line from Sunday......and not that Colts line from Sunday.

:mybrainhurts:

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

A ground game behind suspect o line of Chargers with Tevi at LT and two starters out for the game.

Yet the great oline on Colts....issues for them running the ball and allowing 4 sacks..........interesting.....

Are you saying somehow Chargers now have the much better o line than Colts? Because you just posted Chargers o-line would be the wettest dream for Rivers....wow. Talk about moving the goalposts.

Context.....which O-line is really the better o-line?
              Chargers or Colts?......take your time.

Rivers leaves and all of a sudden the Charger o line is a juggernaut. LOL. Wow.

:idby:
              Read carefully! I'm comparing the Charger Oline this year to that of last year.

I never mentioned the Colts Oline. I did hear that they struggled last Sunday and that Braden Smith got raped repeatedly - poor soul. You are now suggesting that Rivers was the problem with the run game last year and he carried that over to Indy? How does he do that: by switching out of passing plays when both safeties are crowding the line of scrimmage? Was he also the reason they couldn't keep defensive linemen out of the backfield on passing plays?

You give any qb 150 yards on the ground, keep him clean to boot, and give him a nice redzone gift, and he can game manage until the cows come home: Rivers, Billy Joe Toliver, Tyrod, whoever...

You provide no running game, little pass protection & no turnovers, & that quarterback is going to go hero ball on you, or curl up in the fetal position.

Don't expect the Chargers to tally 2,500 yards on the ground this year.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

But Rivers wettest dream was to have the Chargers o-line from Sunday......and not that Colts line from Sunday.

:mybrainhurts:
                I'm beginning to get the impression that when you try to concentrate, that sort of thing happens to you.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Read carefully! I'm comparing the Charger Oline this year to that of last year.

I never mentioned the Colts Oline. I did hear that they struggled last Sunday and that Braden Smith got raped repeatedly - poor soul. You are now suggesting that Rivers was the problem with the run game last year and he carried that over to Indy? How does he do that: by switching out of passing plays when both safeties are crowding the line of scrimmage? Was he also the reason they couldn't keep defensive linemen out of the backfield on passing plays?

You give any qb 150 yards on the ground, keep him clean to boot, and give him a nice redzone gift, and he can game manage until the cows come home: Rivers, Billy Joe Toliver, Tyrod, whoever...

You provide no running game, little pass protection & no turnovers, & that quarterback is going to go hero ball on you, or curl up in the fetal position.

Don't expect the Chargers to tally 2,500 yards on the ground this year.
                  Why is the Chargers O-line so much better now?
                  Please explain.

Why did the Colts o-line which is consensus one of he best o-line in NFL perform poorly?
                  Please explain.

And why do you defend Philip so much?
                  Please explain.

I don't get it. I thought you was a Chargers fan. Why defend the Colts new QB so much?
                  Please explain.

Yes my brain hurts. Because I see the logic of your arguement as very faulty......kinda like Rivers late game decison making.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

:deadhorse::wtf2:

DUDE!?

Sunday O-line performance by Chargers vs Bengals would have been what......for your man crush.
                    It really is a whole new level of serving up bologna sandwiches of denial to praise Charger o-line to that level just to defend one of the Charger great QB Phil Rivers. .

But here is the good news. It's only week 1.
                    And anything can happen. I wouldn't count tnat ol'gunslinger out because he actually does have his best O-line on paper.

:More Q Please:

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

:deadhorse::wtf2:

DUDE!?

Sunday O-line performance by Chargers vs Bengals would have been what......for your man crush.
                      It really is a whole new level of serving up bologna sandwiches of denial to praise Charger o-line to that level just to defend one of the Charger great QB Phil Rivers. .

But here is the good news. It's only week 1.
                      And anything can happen. I wouldn't count tnat ol'gunslinger out because he actually does have his best O-line on paper.

:More Q Please:
                      I always thought this whole argument was about not paying Rivers $25 mil for the next two years which would prevent us from signing other players. Rivers has had multiple seasons where he's started slow due to limited pre-season play in general. 8 games into the season we will definitely know if Rivers is in serious decline. Right now this is just white noise debates.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

This thread reminds me of the end of Ferris Beuller's Day off, when Matthew Broderick reappears after the credits roll and says "Guys, are you still here? Why are you still here? Go home."

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Tyrod did not have the Colts o-line in front of him....so he didn't have that to work with. And from what has been stated repeatedly on this forum that was the biggest issue facing the Chargers QB for years. And Tyrod inherited that same problem and found a way to win his 1st start.

Rivers got an oline finally....but I see you have found more excuses for him. I can't win this arguement if you move the targeted problem of o-line and point at a new targets to excuse the loss that Rivers lead his team into. So you win. Your right. And I'm wrong. Because I will always be wrong in this debate as long as the target keeps moving.
                          Well, Tyrod won his first start. Can't really say he found a way to win it though. It was more like the Cinci kicker blew the chance to tie. I'm not making a point for either QB here just glad we got away with a win but can't really give Tyrod too much credit for it. If it wasn't for JK giving us a big spark in the running game in the 2nd half the team would not have won.

Comment

Working...
                          X