Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Tyrod is an adequate backup. If we really go into the season with him as our starting QB, by mid season he’ll be benched for the same reasons he was benched the last two times he was the starting QB - lack of any production on the offense. People complain, rightly so at times, about Rivers taking too many chances. Taylor is the exact opposite - he won’t pass the ball unless his first read is wide open. Otherwise he’ll scramble around, take too many sacks (sacked almost twice as often as Rivers in his career despite his mobility) or run. Points will be way down, punts will be way up and unless we have the 85 Bears defense to cover for Timid Tyrod, we’ll struggle. Clearly this year was a struggle with the turnovers, but at Rivers has a FAR higher ceiling than Taylor does.
    I know, and agree. But I don't expect much out of next year our biggest transition year in almost 2 decades. I think we need to build the core of both units. Up front. FA or draft or both. Sorry I usually don't get excited about QB's and the draft. But there's something about Lawrence, big, fast, good arm and good reads. I think he's going to be a baller in the NFL. I say build him an O line and do what it takes to get him in next years draft.
    Last edited by SuperCharged; 01-30-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Rivers’ physical decline, nope, did not see it, totally agree. But, he just didn’t seem to care when it counted, played like a green rookie in crunch time, again and again. He looked done, I’m okay honoring that, happens.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

I know, and agree. But I don't expect much out of next year our biggest transition year in almost 2 decades. I think we need to build the core of both units. Up front. FA or draft or both. Sorry I usually don't get excited about QB's and the draft. But there's something about Lawson, big, fast, good arm and good reads. I think he's going to be a baller in the NFL. I say build him an O line and do what it takes to get him in next years draft.
        I don't agree. The Chargers are not away by a miles from contention.
        An OL respectable .
        A guy who can take responsibility in the middle of the DL.
        A real 3rd WR.
        My Grand'ma at QB.​​​​​​​

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Hell no one - including me - expected 5-11, injuries inclusive, not after 2018. In today’s NFL, turnarounds happen in a single off-season, in both directions. To win ya just gotta make the right moves.

Comment

• SDBORN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Hell no one - including me - expected 5-11, injuries inclusive, not after 2018. In today’s NFL, turnarounds happen in a single off-season, in both directions. To win ya just gotta make the right moves.
            Something the people running this organization, don't seem to be capable of.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              My point was, 2019 was a wasted year, specifically what we got from the QB position. Any improvement, even a single W, is welcome and progress from what we just experienced.
              Who isn’t a top 5 QB that wouldn’t have done better behind that Swiss cheese line and horrible play calling.

God we are so spoiled as Charger fans we can’t recognize how lucky we have been with Rivers.

I cant wait to see how much howling there is when our next rookie QB isn’t nearly as good for 4-5 years.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Something the people running this organization, don't seem to be capable of.
                The talent evaluation of TT and AL are spotty.

They were hoping for 2019 to be a year filled with talent reaching championship level. Were their expectations too high? Instead what they got was a borderline unimpressive train wreck.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Who isn’t a top 5 QB that wouldn’t have done better behind that Swiss cheese line and horrible play calling.

God we are so spoiled as Charger fans we can’t recognize how lucky we have been with Rivers.

I cant wait to see how much howling there is when our next rookie QB isn’t nearly as good for 4-5 years.
                  Spoiled? Phillip gave us 16 years of loosing.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I agree too, but this how management would spin it at the end of 2020 season, yes it is essential to have our future QB on the roster for this year, Taylor is nothing more than a a bridge hopefully a very short bridge, like he was in Cleveland 2018 when Baker Mayfield took the rains after he got injuried the 3rd game of the season.

With that being said that is probably how our future QB would get his break it would have to be by injury I can see Coach Lynn riding a season out with Taylor (Vet Loyalty)
                    Let the Qbs compete ,, if the rookie looks equal or better ,,, then start the rookie

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

I know, and agree. But I don't expect much out of next year our biggest transition year in almost 2 decades. I think we need to build the core of both units. Up front. FA or draft or both. Sorry I usually don't get excited about QB's and the draft. But there's something about Lawson, big, fast, good arm and good reads. I think he's going to be a baller in the NFL. I say build him an O line and do what it takes to get him in next years draft.
                      Trevor Lawrence

I agree with everything you said.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

I love all these people who think the plan should be to just draft Trevor Lawrence next year...as if there is a button you can push, and that will just happen...we aren't at 4th grade recess trading Football cards, people...

What happens when we are picking outside the top 10 next year, and there are 3-5 QB needy teams in front of us? If Rivers or Tyrod are QB, we will likely be a solid team next year...healthy with some added talent at FA and high draft picks, we could easily swing back into the playoffs, or at least be around .500...Lynn is not tanking, he has something to prove. So how are we gonna pick up Bryant then? Trade away our first round picks thru 2025? Or what if Bryant regresses and kinda sucks...or blows out his achilles or shoulder or something....what is your plan then?

Nobody but fans make plans based on draft picks over a year away....
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The decision on whether to bring Rivers back or not is a hard one. On one hand, he is one of my favorite all time Chargers and it was only a year ago that we were in the second round of the playoffs, tying the Chiefs for the best record in the AFC. I did not see a physical decline in Rivers this year so I could argue that fixing the line and some other holes along with a little health would put us right back in contention. On the other hand, Rivers has one or at most two years left and we have to address the QB position now. Resigning him would cost a lot of money that could be spent on fixing a couple of other holes or extending Bosa. I don't want Brady or Newton or any other current NFL QB if we move on - I want our future QB from the draft. Let him battle Taylor in an honest competition (and not one stacked with veteran loyalty) and let the best man win. If it's Taylor, for now, okay. Whether the QB is Tua or Herbert (since we have no shot at Burrows) or maybe trade down for someone like Eason (just say no to Love - the bust factor is too big) don't settle for a stopgap.
                          Pretty much how I feel.

Comment

Working...
                          X