Could Cam Newton Be Coming To The Chargers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If Herbert is there they will pull the trigger, if he isnt then OT or Simmons is nice and they go Hurts probably later. Wouldnt surprise me if TT trades up to insure he lands Herbert or the China Doll.

Again, not what i would do, think thats their direction.
    have to admit, am a little confounded by your draft strategy of late....

last year you railed on the QB class and said it wasn't much more than a sack of potatoes, and hailed next year's (2020) class as the end all be all, and now.... you're stumping for Herbert, a guy that you spent the better part of this draft season breaking down as ineffective on anything beyond five yards ??

what kind of logic is that, and what is so wrong 'bout drafting an OT ?? why are you and (most) others here so married to the idea that a QB is a "must have" this draft ??

and Simmons might be nice, and so would CeeDee Lamb ?? why no love for the top wideout, and the avalanche of affection for a WIL (he's not playing SS folks).

and eye get the Hurts inclination, given Anthony Ray and his professed fondness for ye' mobile QBs, and.... personally would much rather have the surer thing day two w/linemen.

we have not really improved our Oline situation.... Bulaga is no different health wise than Okung was going into last season, and despite all the ballyhoo 'bout Trai, his PFF rating isn't that much higher than Scho's and some of the other guys we've got, no ??

Pip and pretty much everyone else we've got on the docket is fair to middling at best.... don't see how we aren't all in on linemen, rather than spinning the wheel on (very) iffy QB prospects ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

no a top 15 OG or a top 75 at OT. Excellent prospect. I just don’t see him as anymore than a slightly above average OT

more game tape I’ve watched on Wills the more he drops though. So give you a prop there.
      but you still like Simmons better than Thomas (and/or Becton) ?? ….for us,
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

have to admit, am a little confounded by your draft strategy of late....

last year you railed on the QB class and said it wasn't much more than a sack of potatoes, and hailed next year's (2020) class as the end all be all, and now.... you're stumping for Herbert, a guy that you spent the better part of this draft season breaking down as ineffective on anything beyond five yards ??

what kind of logic is that, and what is so wrong 'bout drafting an OT ?? why are you and (most) others here so married to the idea that a QB is a "must have" this draft ??

and Simmons might be nice, and so would CeeDee Lamb ?? why no love for the top wideout, and the avalanche of affection for a WIL (he's not playing SS folks).

and eye get the Hurts inclination, given Anthony Ray and his professed fondness for ye' mobile QBs, and.... personally would much rather have the surer thing day two w/linemen.

we have not really improved our Oline situation.... Bulaga is no different health wise than Okung was going into last season, and despite all the ballyhoo 'bout Trai, his PFF rating isn't that much higher than Scho's and some of the other guys we've got, no ??

Pip and pretty much everyone else we've got on the docket is fair to middling at best.... don't see how we aren't all in on linemen, rather than spinning the wheel on (very) iffy QB prospects ??
        Well as you asked me last time.....

I said it isnt what i would do, its what i think Telesco will do.

Id rather get Herbert later but as always, the top rated QBs will go earlier than they should. I still feel the same way about him. Not as high as most are. Herbert has the tools, but needs major footwork work and a year on the bench to fix his accuracy issues.

IF QB is their direction, with one of Herbert, Tua, and Burrow, they will need to Trade up or pick one of the two left in Tua and Herbert.....if two are left. Thinking only Herbert will be. If not, they will probably draft Hurts later and hopefully draft Simmons @ 6.

We are picking 6th....that dont happen very often and when teams need a QB drafting that low, they tend to get one as they are in possition to do so. We didnt NEED to draft Rivers, but we did as Brees wasnt showing enough at the time. And frankly, back then i wanted us to again, draft a OT.

There, said it AGAIN....LOL. Of course i could be wrong and he may surprise us.

And yes, last years QB class sucked and this years is still a lot better. I never said it was the end of be all , or best ever or anything like that, just said it would be much better than that one,....which it is, down the board. Last years class sucked........ but the top guys in this one didnt show up like i thought they would, /....though Burrow rose to the top and didnt expect that.

Fromm took a step backwards imo. Tua is injury prone and im very skeptical of him and just cant pull the trigger @ #6 on him, though he is a good player.

Love is just over hyped and isnt a top QB imo. Hurts has something to work with and though i think 3rd round for him, he would be a first rounder last year.

Still like the prospects from this class more than last year.

Didnt say drafting a OT was wrong (you sure you reading my posts), just think Simmons is the BPA at 6 for us and we need LBs. Simmons is 239 lbs and bigger than White so he can play WILL and other spots as well. I wouldnt be disapointed with a OT though. Been asking for one of those for years. Id be happy with Thomas.

Doubt we going WR again @6..... WR is loaded this year so why go get one @6?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Well as you asked me last time.....

I said it isnt what i would do, its what i think Telesco will do.

Id rather get Herbert later but as always, the top rated QBs will go earlier than they should. IF QB s their direction, with one of Herbert, Tua, and Burrow, they will need to Trade up or pick one of the two left in Tua and Herbert.....if two are left. Thinking only Herbert will be. If not, they will probably draft Hurts later and hopefully draft Simmons @ 6.

There, said it AGAIN....LOL. Of course i could be wrong and he may surprise us.

And yes, last years QB class sucked and this years is still a lot better. I never said it was the end of be all , or best ever or anything like that, just said it would be much better than that one,....which it is, down the board. Last years class sucked........ but the top guys in this one didnt show up like i thought they would, /....though Burrow rose to the top and didnt expect that.

Fromm took a step backwards imo. Tua is injury prone and im very skeptical of him and just cant pull the trigger @ #6 on him, though he is a good player. Herbert has the tools, but needs major footwork work and a year on the bench to fix his accuracy issues.

Love is just over hyped and isnt a top QB imo. Hurts has something to work with and though i think 3rd round for him, he would be a first rounder last year.

Still like the prospects from this class more than last year.

Didnt say drafting a OT was wrong (you sure you reading my posts), just think Simmons is the BPA at 6 for us and we need LBs. Simmons is 239 lbs and bigger than White so he can play WILL and other spots as well. I wouldnt be disapointed with a OT though. Been asking for one of those for years. Id be happy with Thomas.

Doubt we going WR again @6..... WR is loaded this year so why go get one @6?
          If Telesco has done his due diligence at QB and he thinks Herbert is worth say a top 12 pick - and he picks him at 6, thats fine. And of course, we will never know, but don't reach for QB just reach for QB. Trade back if you can. Take a chance - but if you think about it - the Panthers just signed Bridgewater, AZ has Murray, Cleveland has Mayfield so do the Jags jump up for Herbert. If they do, well take a chance

To me, if Simmons is on the board - take him
          If you want Herbert and can still be top 10 - like with the Jaguars, maybe you get Herbert at 9 or take OL and get picks to trade back to the end of the first round.

Comment

• Joeyxfresco
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ETicket View Post
            To his personality/drama/selfishness, I say: hard pass!
            That’s a bad take based off of a horrible narrative around Cam. Coming from a Panthers fan he’s probably the least selfish guy on the roster since he was drafted.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Id rather get Herbert later but as always, the top rated QBs will go earlier than they should. I still feel the same way about him. Not as high as most are. Herbert has the tools, but needs major footwork work and a year on the bench to fix his accuracy issues.
              Always puzzled by the Herbert has accuracy problems. He completed 64% of his passes in college, which isn't bad at all. If we draft him or Tua they likely will both start the season on the bench behind Taylor and likely won't see early action until people get frustrated by Taylor's cautious play later in the year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Always puzzled by the Herbert has accuracy problems. He completed 64% of his passes in college, which isn't bad at all. If we draft him or Tua they likely will both start the season on the bench behind Taylor and likely won't see early action until people get frustrated by Taylor's cautious play later in the year.
                He did, but like ive mentioned many times, and if you saw his games, he threw a ton of 0 to 5 yard quick passes. Clemons can complete those.

He had some issues throwing 10 to 15 yards because his footwork wasnt good and he rushed the throws or didnt set. He just needs a lot work on that.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Send PM

Here is the big Problem with Cam. When he starts to breakdown he goes all the way to the bottom. He will not put up anywhere near his best. He does not avoid contact and I just don’t want to see Chargers postpone a rookie QB. Cam will also not come cheap, he will be locked in for at least 2 year.

i pass on him.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

He did, but like ive mentioned many times, and if you saw his games, he threw a ton of 0 to 5 yard quick passes. Clemons can complete those.

He had some issues throwing 10 to 15 yards because his footwork wasnt good and he rushed the throws or didnt set. He just needs a lot work on that.
                    I did watch several games and never noticed accuracy as an issue. From what people who watched him at the combine and his pro day have reported, his footwork has already shown a lot of improvement with the coaching he has received after the season. I do not expect this to be an issue with him at all wherever he ends up.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

but you still like Simmons better than Thomas (and/or Becton) ?? ….for us,
                      By a significant margin and that is with my cluster of Simmons, Young, Brown, Thomas, Kinlaw, Becton.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I did watch several games and never noticed accuracy as an issue. From what people who watched him at the combine and his pro day have reported, his footwork has already shown a lot of improvement with the coaching he has received after the season. I do not expect this to be an issue with him at all wherever he ends up.
                        Thats great to know, ...but there werent any defenders on the field during those drills. How many times have we seen guys kill it at the combine/pro day? I think many here said he could kill it at the combine.

Look at Carr panic when he has defenders around him. He probably did well at the combine too, but i didnt like him to much coming ouot cause he had happy feet and too quick to throw theball away or just crumble. I dont see that in Herbert but ive seen some bad throws because of it.

But hey, Herbert is a smart guy, we know that. Im not saying he cant improve, i expect him to and hope if we draft him he can be very coachable and over come these things, but i didnt see a sure fire first rounder when i watched him over the last two seasons.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

What are the chances Herbert will become the next D. Brees ?

Comment

Working...
                          X