OT: How Are You Doing With The Shut Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

I'm a teacher so we were sent home 2 weeks ago and won't be back until mid-April (if at all). In the meantime, I'm zoom-ing with my students and setting up classes on-line. I lucked out, in a sense, as my oldest daughter is on Spring Break from college. It's been nice to have her home (even though we can't go to many of our favorite places). Got the weeds pulled, rain gutters cleaned/fixed, and seeds in the ground for a garden. It's amazing all of the things you can get done when you don't have to work. I go on bike rides with my youngest daughter... also push-ups and sit-ups... she's getting me back in shape! My wife's work has trickled to a stop so we will have to tighten our belts financially. I'm the grocery buyer and trips to the store are always an adventure. My heart goes out to grocery clerks (and all of the essential workers). They keep us fed and safe/healthy while putting themselves in a potentially dangerous situation. I cannot thank all of them enough. I take precautions and follow protocols to enable them to stay safe (along with sick and elderly)... I feel it's the least I can do. Our neighbor friends are in quarantine as they were in contact with in-laws that tested positive.

Stay safe, be patient, love the ones you're with... we'll get through this.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

thanks for the thoughts. in all honesty, i have just as much respect for the employees I see at the grocery store (to pick just one visible example) every day who have 1000X the exposure risk that me or my team have. Everyone that are ALLOWED to contribute and work are really stepping up everywhere I look.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        thanks for the thoughts. in all honesty, i have just as much respect for the employees I see at the grocery store (to pick just one visible example) every day who have 1000X the exposure risk that me or my team have. Everyone that are ALLOWED to contribute and work are really stepping up everywhere I look.
        I live in a small town and everyone pretty much knows everyone. I always tell he grocery store workers and the Walmart workers (we know most of them) thank you, you are essential.

Comment

• Geezbolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Sun Valley, ID
          • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

I'm here in Meridian and was surprised to hear how many more cases you guys have there as compared to everywhere else in the state.
          We knew we were sitting ducks, so-to-speak, because of the influx of people from all over constantly coming into this small community. We get a large number of people from Seattle, and like I said, that seems to have been the source. It's getting a little scary here because per-capita, we are at very high risk. I tie trout flies, so I will have plenty to do while hunkered down.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

We knew we were sitting ducks, so-to-speak, because of the influx of people from all over constantly coming into this small community. We get a large number of people from Seattle, and like I said, that seems to have been the source. It's getting a little scary here because per-capita, we are at very high risk. I tie trout flies, so I will have plenty to do while hunkered down.
            uh-oh ... the ultimate "wet market"! (jk )

Comment

• bartman83642
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

No kidding. I kind of wondered if any of the rich and famous people that live there part time tried to flee there to get away from so much of the general population. If so it might have backfired.

Comment

• SYB
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                Exactly. People in the medical field sort of signed up for dealing with death and disease, your local grocery checker did not. Yet they're out there, as you said, having way more contact than almost anyone, and aren't making a great wage doing it. Any time I go to the store, I make sure to smile and thank every employee I come across.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Send PM

Lucky to say all my Family is Healthy and in good spirits.

I’m 100% commission plus 20-50% additional bonus driven sales job. Luckily my company will match our March & April LY commission but not LY Bonus. My wife just found out her hourly employees get paid until April 15, then go on ferlo until more information is Available. All lower Manager will get 20% paycut and upper Managers 10% paycut until further notice. No info on Executive Pay.

What important is everyone comes out healthy and we don’t come back to soon to risk another downturn in Economy
                  Last edited by Sb4Rivers; 03-27-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

Im out in NC west of Raleigh. I guess the good thing is we are on 7 acres...lets hope the deer arent carriers. Town of about 8000 with a few cases so far. Schools shut down two weeks back and now are out till mid May but I doubt they return at all. My wife is taking it the hardest...gone are the days of her introverted haven with my 12 and 15 year old boys at home doing online school. Daughter is at nc state holed up doing online too. Oldest son is out on a Destroyer in the Arabian sea as of a few weeks ago. Im a financial advisor so still working full time at my branch office...just 2 of us so lower risk...critical infrastructure so no downtime...been very busy calming nerves and selling stock in this market. Finally got out on my motorcycle a few times the last few days...i forget how therapeutic that is during stressful days.

Thanks for sharing folks...great to learn how you all are faring.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

In case anyone wanted to see if they qualify for the stimulus check. And if so, how much they would receive:

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                        Im out in NC west of Raleigh. I guess the good thing is we are on 7 acres...lets hope the deer arent carriers. Town of about 8000 with a few cases so far. Schools shut down two weeks back and now are out till mid May but I doubt they return at all. My wife is taking it the hardest...gone are the days of her introverted haven with my 12 and 15 year old boys at home doing online school. Daughter is at nc state holed up doing online too. Oldest son is out on a Destroyer in the Arabian sea as of a few weeks ago. Im a financial advisor so still working full time at my branch office...just 2 of us so lower risk...critical infrastructure so no downtime...been very busy calming nerves and selling stock in this market. Finally got out on my motorcycle a few times the last few days...i forget how therapeutic that is during stressful days.

Thanks for sharing folks...great to learn how you all are faring.
                        Nice. So your advice was sell?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          In case anyone wanted to see if they qualify for the stimulus check. And if so, how much they would receive:
                          https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...rc=nl_comments
                          I’m sure i dont, I’m dirty rotten filthy stinkin’ rich. No need, i hope its getting to people in need ASAP

Comment

Working...
                          X